Silly Question: Hood Removal 2009 GTX 550 F / Speedometer - Odometer I - REV Chassis - Performance and Trail Models - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Silly Question: Hood Removal 2009 GTX 550 F / Speedometer - Odometer I

hood removal gtx 550F

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gtxaftersafari

gtxaftersafari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Sled:2009 GTX 550F

Posted 14 December 2020 - 08:48 PM

Hello all, 

I know this seems like a silly question:

Is there an easy way to remove the hood for easier access to wiring?  Without removing all of the screws / bolts?  I am sure that I am missing an easy step?

I have the erratic and jumping speedometer.  I have removed the speed rotation sensor, and found the previous owner did not grease, and the magnet was broken in a couple of pieces.  When it was connected, the odometer was registering 5-10 x the distance travelled vs. actual.  I also have the tach at a resting 1000 when the engine is turned off.  

I was also experiencing some dim lighting which caused me to start examining wiring.   

I found a couple of corroded wires to one side of the rear handlebar warmer harness.  When disconnecting the whole warmer harness, the headlights returned to strength.  Now I am about to replace the speed sensor, but also want to give the rest of the wiring a good lookover.  The CDI was replaced by the previous owner.  I hope that I don't need a new voltage regulator.  

Many thanks to everyone on the forum.  You have all been so helpful!

gtx2.jpg

#2 KSDoo

KSDoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1370 posts
  • Sled:2015 Renegade Backcountry 800R

Posted 14 December 2020 - 11:07 PM

Assuming you disconnected the rear warmers before the seat? I would pull the seat and see if it rubbed through underneath. The hood comes off fully pretty quickly on those revs the easiest part being the front that pops open. The headlight and gauge and pod come next in short order. Don't short cut this if your looking for wiring problems. Battery/electric start unit?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#3 Mill

Mill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1282 posts
  • Sled:2006 Rev 800

Posted 14 December 2020 - 11:12 PM

Before replacing parts I would test the stator out put.

A bad stator can make alot of things go crazy on these sleds as you describe.

The one thing that stands out "you disconnected the bar warmers and the headlights returned to full strength" so is your stator weak and cannot power all accessories plus the run the motor?

I'd start there and work your way threw the system to eliminate each item one by one. Right now your kinda bouncing all over chasing multiple issues that could be related to one main issue.

Leave the hood on. Just a pipe under there. Take off the side panels to start.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#4 12/3

12/3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2529 posts
  • Interests:Sledding, boating and cottage life.
  • Sled:11, 600 etec, 14 &15 900's, 69 Olympic

Posted 14 December 2020 - 11:31 PM

Welcome to dootalk!

Mill^^^has some great advise.

With the hood removed you won't have much better access to anything that is relevant to your problem. But if you really want to remove it, you'll need to unbolt it at the hinge on the front.

Edited by 12/3, 14 December 2020 - 11:31 PM.

#5 gtxaftersafari

gtxaftersafari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:49 AM

Assuming you disconnected the rear warmers before the seat? I would pull the seat and see if it rubbed through underneath. The hood comes off fully pretty quickly on those revs the easiest part being the front that pops open. The headlight and gauge and pod come next in short order. Don't short cut this if your looking for wiring problems. Battery/electric start unit?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice here.  New Battery, no issues with electric start.  

#6 gtxaftersafari

gtxaftersafari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:52 AM

Before replacing parts I would test the stator out put.

A bad stator can make alot of things go crazy on these sleds as you describe.

The one thing that stands out "you disconnected the bar warmers and the headlights returned to full strength" so is your stator weak and cannot power all accessories plus the run the motor?

I'd start there and work your way threw the system to eliminate each item one by one. Right now your kinda bouncing all over chasing multiple issues that could be related to one main issue.

Leave the hood on. Just a pipe under there. Take off the side panels to start.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of this advice.  

This could be the ticket!  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.  Greatly appreciated.  I will close this loop once the issue is resolved.  

#7 matttheknife

matttheknife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sled:2009 MXZ 550X

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:43 PM

Did you find out what's going on? Would love to hear the solution!

Thanks for all of this advice.  

This could be the ticket!  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.  Greatly appreciated.  I will close this loop once the issue is resolved.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users