jack-danels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:all powersports
  • Sled:2015 Summit 800 X T3 174

Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:10 PM

So I've been thinking of switching to a modular helmet. I'm getting tired of the goggle and balaclava [email protected]#k around.

I ride 100% mountains & and have always had MX style with goggles. I've never ridden with anyone with a modular helmet so I have no insight as to the positives and negatives.

These new helmets look like they could get the job done, with a heated visor, but I just don't know.

Please share your experiences

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
1998 Summit 670 X 151
2009 Summit 800 156 x 3"
2015 Summit 800 X T3 174

#2 rev2xheart

rev2xheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 12:31 AM

I have spent a life time in the search for the perfect setup.  

Started with a fully enclosed helmet, single pane shield, with one tiny air vent - i was young in the best shape of my life and I just wanted to ride so I dont remember having issues.

Everyone moved to the motorcross style of helmets with goggles so i figured to be cool i have to as well - still pretty young in pretty good shape, started to have issues with fogging and seeing in general

Also FYI i have to wear glasses as well (no i cant get laser eye surgery, yes i have asked my eye doctor, yes I ask him every year i see him - my eyes are too far screwed up apparently)

I started having more fogging problems as I got older and farther out of shape, then due to some health issues i got to the point when i couldnt handle the cold like i used to.  I would be either super hot or freezing cold if i took off the helmet to rest and what not

I always hated using goggles with my glasses even the OTG ones because it wasnt just the goggles and the helmet and the glasses.  I also wore a no fog mask.  So you have all these things on and it all has to fit perfect. it got to the point i almost hated riding unless the weather was absolutely perfect.  Even then after a couple of stucks its like the day was over for me, couldnt see after that.

So i decided i needed to use something more open and easier.  I went to like a skier type of helmet.  basically an motorcross style with no chin piece.  Was it safe to wear while riding?  Well better than no helmet but I shouldnt had been wearing it.  I justtifed it because i could see better.  So i had that helmet, the no fog mask, my glasses, and goggles.  When i stopped or got stuck though i could get the goggles off quick and could leave the helmet on.  This was what I thought was going to be the best setup and i used it for years.  in the back of my head i didnt think the helmet was safe enough for sledding though.

Goggles that worked the best for me were these, they pull out from your face and leave a gap around the whole frame https://www.julbo.co...16=264&318=3105

oh and BTW i have used every no fogging thing ever invented.  Fans, cleaners, creams, everything. none of those work

Jump ahead to last year.  i wanted to get a helmet that would protect me better just in case.  I hated wearing goggles with my glasses.  Skidoo came out with that new Oxygen Helmet.  I liked the big field of view and the way the cord attached to it.  I guess they were a popular thing or maybe i just lucked out cause i got a great deal on one from my dealer. figured what the heck.  i had just got a new sled so i got the wiring thing on it.  There were some figured out with it but I think i have my best setup i can have right now.

I just bough the elinq thing to make cord management better this year.  I run the helmet with the visor on max all the time, with my glasses and my no fog mask.  i removed the snow skirt that came on the helmet though.  The only time i have problems is if i forget to cannect the helmet in after being parked for awhile.  it is heavier than i would like, and the venting is very poor for the mountians but I am happy enough with it.  on spring rides though its too hot.  i still have that skier helmet but might get a motocross one for the really hot days.

if you dont wear glasses you are miles ahead of me.  i think the modular would work find.  i just dont know how safe they are.  yes they have been tested but there still is that hinge.  What you might want to look for is a dual sport helmet with an electric visor.  They are kind of the best of both worlds.   you can use them with the shield or put the shield up and use goggles with them.  i dont know if any have electric shields though.  I recommend the no fog mask as well.

I am hoping it is coming time for a move back to the enclosed helmets more so just like the monosuit is now back in fashion.  If skidoo could make an oxygen helmet but a mountain addition that would be perfect.  lots of venting and an electric shield i would buy one in an instant.

#3 jack-danels

jack-danels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 02:09 AM

Wow rev2xheart, what a great write up!

I've done a bunch more internetting since I made this post and realized that I labeled the post wrong. Apparently I'm after a dual sport helmet; although, I will say that I am interested in some of the modular Helmets

1998 Summit 670 X 151
2009 Summit 800 156 x 3"
2015 Summit 800 X T3 174

#4 rev2xheart

rev2xheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:29 PM

you betcha.

#5 Misty Pines

Misty Pines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • Sled:19 Summit SP 850 154"

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:23 AM

I used to wear an Doo modular helmet in the mountains when I was younger but after some jumps and cornice drops and a few neck strains, I found the modular helmet just too heavy.  About 10 years ago, I moved to an MX style helmet with googles and a Klim Arctic or Klim Glacier balaclava and found this set up much better for me both in the mountains and for trail riding.  I don't have any major fogging issues and this set up is much lighter and easier on my aging neck.  It would be great if they made a modular or dual sport helmet as light as a carbon MX style although not aware they do yet.

#6 revegade84

revegade84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3304 posts
  • Sled:'17 Summit 850 SP 154

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:32 AM

The weight is a big one for me also. Even when I switched from a older HJC MX helmet to a new lightweight FLY helmet, my neck noticed. The problem with a shield is that once it's fogged or froze you are kind of stuck like that. I like carrying 3 sets of goggles, if one fogs, I swap it out for another while those thaw in the glovebox.

#7 rev2xheart

rev2xheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 09:18 PM

The weight is substantial thats for sure.  I put up with it because i can see now.  No matter the setup i used with the motocross style i had issues seeing.  I wish a brand like arai or shoei a top brand like that would make a motocross style helment that i could have an electric shield on.  Maybe like ones of those dual sport helmets that has a visor but also you can wear goggles instead if you want just with an electric shield.  Would be the greatest helmet ever.

#8 jack-danels

jack-danels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for your input. I've decided to stick with the regular MX helmet and gogs.
Been talking to everyone I can think of and they all say the same things (fogging without an electric visor & breath box discomfort)
Plus tin options are WAY better with goggles, and if one fogs it's easy to just switch it out

1998 Summit 670 X 151
2009 Summit 800 156 x 3"
2015 Summit 800 X T3 174

#9 Brushy Bill

Brushy Bill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sled:V800, Rev 600 & 800

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:02 PM

So, goggles with front venting or not?

My older Do goggles fit tight to the helmet at the top edge, with no front vents they fog quick

Also , is it at all possible to dry the spare set through the day somehow ?

Edited by Brushy Bill, 06 February 2021 - 09:04 PM.

#10 hemidoo

hemidoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2017 posts
  • Interests:Quebec,Vermont and Maine.. trail/Adventure rider
  • Sled:Black 2019 BC XRS ... For Sale !

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:11 PM

CKX Titan . it's the best there is right now 

#11 jack-danels

jack-danels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:13 PM

My older Do goggles fit tight to the helmet at the top edge, with no front vents they fog quick

Where I ride in the mountains it doesn't really get cold enough for goggle fit to matter that much.

Vented double lense goggles are a must. Don't get sucked into that can vented garbage, that "edit for bad language" doesn't work.

I ride with multiple pairs of lenses and goggles

1998 Summit 670 X 151
2009 Summit 800 156 x 3"
2015 Summit 800 X T3 174

#12 SkidooSteve12

SkidooSteve12

Flyin Fox Daddy X3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31302 posts
  • Interests:Fun stuff.
  • Sled:'18 BCX 850 '13 GT 1200 '13 Gade 600etec

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:02 AM

As stated already, always vented double lens goggles.

Check out goggle bags like this to dry out your goggles during the day. There are several options out there.

https://www.amazon.c...1/dp/B07CW44PFN

Breaks stuff. Often. Expensive stuff too.

My YouTube Vids

#13 jack-danels

jack-danels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:33 AM

I just got a pair of Smith Squad XL with chromopop lenses. Their antifog isn't just a coating like on every other goggle, it's built into the lens, as in can't be wiped off.
A big selling feature for me as I'm a bad fogger, and as with most goggles their antifog is pretty good in the beginning, but quickly goes away you inevitably have to wipe snow out of them.

Anyways short story long, the antifog treatment on these goggles works really good so far, and I'm excited to see how well it holds up over time

1998 Summit 670 X 151
2009 Summit 800 156 x 3"
2015 Summit 800 X T3 174

#14 slapdappy

slapdappy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:2016 Summit 174 T3
  • Sled:2013 Skandic WT 600 ace

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:23 PM

509 Sinister Ignite goggles. Best purchase. No more fogging issues. Heated lens. 2 'on' settings. On for 2 minutes, or constant on. 2 minutes gets it done. Good fit with 509 helmet. Very very very pleased. I also use a breath guard. 

I'm interested in the CKX Titan helmet with the flip down front. 

Edited by slapdappy, 01 March 2021 - 09:26 PM.

#15 rev2xheart

rev2xheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 01:16 AM

these goggles have the most airflow.  They are cross country skier goggles.  They pull away from the frame so its completely open all around the top and bottom.  better push them back together though if you get into some serious pow

https://julbo-canada...lections/alpine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users