Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1995 Touring E

Tags
380 oil pump
514 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TheBearAk 
#1 ·
Hi,
I just picked up a pair of 1995 Touring Es with 380s in them. I got one up and running well, it is oiling fine now but I was told I should just abandon the oil pump and take the tank out and run premix. This is the first ski-doo I've had in years and the first one with oil injection. I had lots of polarises and I have to say I just never have really given the oiling system much thought, it has just worked. I'm certainly not saying that is smart, just my experience. My question is, should I take the advice and run premix or let the oil injection do it's thing?

Thanks,
Steve

#4 ·
I think the main problem is with pumps that have plastic gears or cogs that drive the pump and they can wear and fail eventually, or for the newer engines like my 2009 tundra the bolts that hold the pump to the fan shroud can loosen and the pump can move enough to disconnect from the gear or shaft that drives it. if you keep an eye on these types of things and no obvious problems it should be fine.

#5 ·
Only time I've mixed gas on my Touring 380 is after rebuilds. It has been rebuilt at least 7 times in it's life. All of the rebuilds were due to kids not putting oil in the reservoir. Wished I would have mixed it instead.

But that said, the oil injection was always reliable. I did hear a grinding from the oil pump once and I replaced the gears. The gears I removed looked okay, but I didn't want to take a chance.

On these 380's the oil pump is located on the recoil and have a square plastic rod that pokes through the recoil. That rod can also break or get rounded off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.