2021 MXZ XRS Front Shock Rebound Adjustment?? - REV-GEN 4 - MXZ Performance Trail 129/ Renegade 137 - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

2021 MXZ XRS Front Shock Rebound Adjustment??

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 tshumka

tshumka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Sled:2021 MXZ XRS

Posted 22 November 2020 - 01:09 PM

Question for the XRS owners. This is my 4th XRS purchase and after taking delivery and doing my initial suspension setup I noticed these front shocks no longer have the rebound setting. After looking into it further I see the 2021 models have the KYB Pro and not the Pro R like my 2020. For those of you that ride these sleds to their capability and really spend time tweaking the suspension what is your opinion?  Have you noticed a difference without being able to set the rebound separately? 

Edited by tshumka, 22 November 2020 - 01:14 PM.

#2 jessebuch1999

jessebuch1999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Sled:Skidoo Renegade XRS 850

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:13 PM

Nope! Ive had rebound for years on previous xrs's and never found it made a huge difference. Putting on 5 to 7 K per season

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

#3 InTheSticks

InTheSticks

Looking for the Hot Tub...

• DOOCrew
  • 6181 posts
  • Interests:...too much junk...
  • Sled:Track shoes and a ski...does that count?

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:24 PM

That was one setting I never really adjusted, kind of set it and left it alone.  I think we may welcome the thicker shafts back now and the extra travel/lower front end.

2019 XRS, Black..with an Orange, Green wrap.    <- For Sale SOLD

2020 XRS, Black with Yellow Graphics 

2021 XRS, Black...should be here any day

#4 tshumka

tshumka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Sled:2021 MXZ XRS

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:43 PM

That was one setting I never really adjusted, kind of set it and left it alone.  I think we may welcome the thicker shafts back now and the extra travel/lower front end.

Yes I agree its a setting I never adjusted often. But I definitely took the time with each sled to adjust it once to my liking. Rebound damping has a huge effect on the front end characteristics when hammering these sleds through the whoops and chop. So now its just tied into the compression damping adjustment? I hate when they "dumb" these things down, thats not why I pay for an XRS.  Just my opinion, thanks for the response. 

Edited by tshumka, 22 November 2020 - 02:52 PM.

#5 npickle12

npickle12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2316 posts
  • Sled:2018 XRS 850, 2009 770 RS

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:32 PM

Yup. Definitely a nice adjustment to have. Once I have my base rebound setting dialed in...I increase rebound damping on smooth days and decrease a few clicks on rough days. Works great for me.

Agree that it stinks they got rid of it. For BRP it’s both a cost savings and a warranty savings because the shaft is now stronger because it’s not hollow.

I also think that they were able to make the front shocks longer simply by removing the rebound adjustment bottom shaft eyelet. This gave them an extra 0.75” of shaft length for free.

Just seems like a great solution for BRP. Unfortunately a crappy one for their customers.

#6 InTheSticks

InTheSticks

• DOOCrew
  • 6181 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:45 PM

The Pro 40's from previous years had the rebound, and do not recall many folks having issues with those. 

Now who could not use an extra 3/4" .... 

#7 Diesel Pro

Diesel Pro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:Diesel Performance, Torque, Harleys etc.
  • Sled:2015 Renegade 900 ACE & 2015 RTX LE

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:57 PM

Disappointed that Doo keeps dumbing them down but I knew that going in by doing research. That said, the XRS really should have full feature Pro 40's with a good aggressive yet consumer friendly calibration. I just set up her 2015 Adrenaline with full feature dual speed compression shocks. Now I need to figure out what to do with my new XRS. I'm kind of thinking about a pair of Float 3 Evol RC2's.

Edited by Diesel Pro, 22 November 2020 - 09:10 PM.

#8 growboxguy

growboxguy

Advanced Member

• Sponsors
  • 456 posts
  • Sled:2019 MXZ XRS 600R

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:54 PM

The Pro 40's from previous years had the rebound, and do not recall many folks having issues with those. 

Now who could not use an extra 3/4" .... 

Thats what she said...

Past Sleds in Order of ownership:

1976 Rupp Rally

1979 Kawasaki Invader 

1983 Yamaha Vmax

1989 Yamaha Exciter

2000 Arctic Cat ZRT600

2001 Arctic Cat ZR500

2000 Yamaha SRX700

2003 Arctic Cat F-7 LTD Patriot

2003 REV 600

2003 REV 800

2008 TNT 600 carb

2011 TNT 600 etec

2013 MXZ X 600 (Yellow)

2013 MXZ X 600 (Orange)

2017 MXZ X 600

2015 MXZ X 600

2015 MXZ TNT 600 

#9 gen1xrs

gen1xrs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17858 posts
  • Sled:2014 MXZ XRS 800 etec QA

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:44 AM

The reason Doo dumbed down the shocks is because people don't understand how to use them.

Don't believe me, read some of the posts above. Too have never adjusted the rebound on the front shocks is unbelievable!

Probably the same people who complain the XRS doesn't handle, pushes or lifts inner ski!

I used the rebound adjustment on every ride as this is how you can control how the front end handles once you have the front set up.

As conditions change throughout the day 2 clicks harder to eliminate push or 2 clicks softer to prevent ski lift always worked for me...

Sent from a Galaxy (S10) far, far away

2007 XRS 600Sdi - Sold 
2005 X 600Sdi - In use
2001 MXZ 800 Adrenaline - Sold
1987 Phaser DeluXe - In Use
1980 Citation SS - In Skidoo heaven

#10 syracusestars37

syracusestars37

IKnowNothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts
  • Sled:850

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:23 AM

Yup. Definitely a nice adjustment to have. Once I have my base rebound setting dialed in...I increase rebound damping on smooth days and decrease a few clicks on rough days. Works great for me.

Agree that it stinks they got rid of it. For BRP it’s both a cost savings and a warranty savings because the shaft is now stronger because it’s not hollow.

I also think that they were able to make the front shocks longer simply by removing the rebound adjustment bottom shaft eyelet. This gave them an extra 0.75” of shaft length for free.

Just seems like a great solution for BRP. Unfortunately a crappy one for their customers.

The eyelet has nothing to do with shock length. This isnt the first time i've seen this theory.

People werent complaining nearly as much about broken / bent shock shafts on pro 40's. They had a 16mm hollow shaft.

I've said this probably ten times over on dootalk - 12mm hollow shaft due to rebound adjustment isnt ideal, the cross section is thin on the shaft. However, you arent bending / breaking that shaft unless you side load the shock, or hydraulically lock it. I havent looked at a PRO 36 curve but I bet a combination of moisture in the shock freezing and a very stiff comp circuit when in the stiffer range of the settings can lead to a slight hydrualic lock of the shock would cause the bent/broken shafts for those who havent side loaded the shock.

Cost reduction to go to a solid shaft.

Most customers (as seen here in the responses already) dont use it. WHy include it? Also, most guys dont understand how it works (not knocking anyone), and get their settings so screwy and end up complaining on a bar stool about how bad their xrs handles.

Rebound , in a pro36/pro40 shock has an effect on compression circuit, they arent independent of one another. Stiffer rebound will result in altered compression damping without actually touching the comp adjuster.

#11 windsurfnut

windsurfnut

Windsurfnut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts
  • Sled:2020 MXZ X-RS 850

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:28 AM

I'm pretty disappointed they removed rebound adjust. 

I guess it really comes down to how it's calibrated now.  I've ended up running rebound around the 4-6 clicks out from full hard/slow on all my XRS's.  In any given day, it would be unlikely for me to set it outside of that range. While I could certainly feel the affects of a couple clicks, any softer then that was way out of the range for me - even though I experimented with running softer/faster rebound, I always ended back up in that range.  So if Doo calibrated it to that end of the scale, I'd probably be ok with it.  If it was on soft/fast side of the range, I wouldn't be happy.

Another rider may have a completely different preference on rebound.  So I guess it comes right back around to needing to have that adjustment on high end sleds.

Alternatively...since most of the rebound adjustment I use for front end cornering - I might be convinced that separate LSC/HSC adjustments could also allow me to firm up LSC for cornering..  Polaris seems to do okay with those options on their XCR sleds.

2014 Ski Doo MXZ 600 Etec TNT (Wife's)

2011 Ski Doo GSX LE 600 Etec (Kid's)

Previous Sleds:

2006 Ski Doo MXZ 550 X (Kid's)

2016 Ski Doo MXZ 800 X-RS

2014 Ski Doo MXZ 800 X-RS

2012 Polaris Rush 800 Pro-R LE (what was I thinking!)

2009 Ski Doo MXZ 800 X

2007 Ski Doo MXZ 800 Blizzard

2001 Ski Doo MXZ 700 X

1998 Ski Doo MXZ 670

1993 Ski Doo Formula STX 583

#12 Meat Head

Meat Head

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2559 posts
  • Sled:340 Indy lite

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:54 AM

The reason Doo dumbed down the shocks is because people don't understand how to use them.

Don't believe me, read some of the posts above. Too have never adjusted the rebound on the front shocks is unbelievable!

Probably the same people who complain the XRS doesn't handle, pushes or lifts inner ski!

I used the rebound adjustment on every ride as this is how you can control how the front end handles once you have the front set up.

As conditions change throughout the day 2 clicks harder to eliminate push or 2 clicks softer to prevent ski lift always worked for me...

I'm guessing you mean slower. Rebound = speed of travel.
So your correct, you slow down the return speed of the shock to get the inside ski from lifting as fast.
Works perfect, however it does have impact on overall felt stiffness. Its a huge loss for me that doo has decided to rob me of that critical adjustment..shameful..

#13 Koreyk125

Koreyk125

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1094 posts
  • Sled:20 XRS 600

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:56 AM

100% spot on!  After initial set up the rebound adjuster is probably the most important adjustment on the whole sled for changing snow conditions. 

21 MXZ XRS 850 (Black) 

21 MXZ 600 efi

20 MXZ XRS 600 (Yellow/)

89 Ski-Doo Escapade 

77 RV (Factory Drag Sled)
69 Olympic 340

#14 InTheSticks

InTheSticks

• DOOCrew
  • 6181 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:45 PM

100% spot on!  After initial set up the rebound adjuster is probably the most important adjustment on the whole sled for changing snow conditions. 

Not sure I agree that the rebound is the most important, without compression there is no rebound, yes you could create a pogo stick... but once you set it to your riding style and terrain I find it not really necessary to constantly mess with it, I may tighten or lessen the compression during the day but not rebound too much, does it suck they removed this, yes, this goes right along with all the bracing that was removed.

#15 gen1xrs

gen1xrs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17858 posts
  • Sled:2014 MXZ XRS 800 etec QA

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:56 PM

I'm guessing you mean slower. Rebound = speed of travel.
So your correct, you slow down the return speed of the shock to get the inside ski from lifting as fast.
Works perfect, however it does have impact on overall felt stiffness. Its a huge loss for me that doo has decided to rob me of that critical adjustment..shameful..

Yes.

I'm putting it in simple terms so those who only know the knob as S and H will understand...

2007 XRS 600Sdi - Sold 
2005 X 600Sdi - In use
2001 MXZ 800 Adrenaline - Sold
1987 Phaser DeluXe - In Use
1980 Citation SS - In Skidoo heaven

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users