14 replies to this topic

#1 Acorn87

Acorn87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Sled:2021 Expedition 900ACE SE/1991 Tundra

Posted Yesterday, 10:13 AM

Wondering how others thaw out their sleds from time to time.  Easy with a heated garage.  Unfortunately I do not have one of those or an enclosed trailer.  Only an open carport (super lame).  Thought about rigging up a heavy duty tarp at the entrance and firing up the BigBuddy heater but that still might not be enough heat.  What are your thoughts?

#2 stealth bomber

stealth bomber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13009 posts
  • Interests:Running over snowflakes
  • Sled:2020 XRS 850

Posted Yesterday, 10:43 AM

I too have my doubts you would get it warm enough to melt that way. I would try a tarp over the sled held to the ground with wood or whatever, and one of those small ceramic electric box heaters under the tarp too. I’ve also used a hair dryer under the hood and a sled cover to thaw out a frozen engine, just need to be careful where the dryer points.

#3 Skidoogrampa

Skidoogrampa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Vintage Sleds
  • Sled:1987 Stratos

Posted Yesterday, 10:57 AM

I'm thinking that you'll be just fine if you can't thaw out your sled. In the past 47 years of owning them, I haven't had the need to thaw one out yet. I'm guessing that it gets just as cold if not colder here in Winnipeg than where you live, so you should be just fine.

For me a heated space would be more about my own comfort rather than for the machine. I have mixed feelings about the cooling/thawing cycles that sleds get put through. Some of that is good but some is not. My preference is to not subject a sled to that. Nothing scientific...just my own observation! 

Last year I got a price on converting my garage into a heated shop but decided to buy a new sled instead with the money...

Rene

Edited by Skidoogrampa, Yesterday, 12:03 PM.

On a Stratos, you're neither leader or follower...you simply make your own tracks.

#4 ProAngler

ProAngler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Sled:2014 gsx se 1200

Posted Yesterday, 11:23 AM

I thaw mine after every ride, but I've got a heated shop where it lives between outings. I think if your machine has a chance to completely dry out its better than a partial quick heat where moisture is allowed to refreeze

Edited by ProAngler, Yesterday, 11:25 AM.

#5 razer

razer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4959 posts
  • Sled:6ex,850x,900tnt,900tx

Posted Yesterday, 11:41 AM

Mine spend their life in a floor heated shop when we’re not riding but a friend of mine bought one of those small tents metal frame with fitted tarp and zipper ends about 10x6, in a sheltered area in sunshine it got pretty warm, wouldn’t take a big heater to thaw and dry out.

#6 18000HP

18000HP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1317 posts
  • Interests:Cutting wood , breaking trails and fixing stuff
  • Sled:2010 V800 SWT 2011 Renegade X 800

Posted Yesterday, 11:44 AM

I thaw mine after every ride, but I've got a heated shop where it lives between outings. I think if your machine has a chance to completely dry out its better than a partial quick heat where moisture is allowed to refreeze

That is true enough...A partial thaw / no dry time,  is worse than no thaw at all in my opinion.

Winter is the COOOLEST Season :Cheers

#7 SkiDragon

SkiDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:ATV's, Snowmobiles, & Fishing

Previous Rides:
    17 900 Renegade
    17 900 Renegade (first one)
    16 XRS 800 Renegade QA IC
    16 900 Renegade
    15 XRS Renegade 800 QA
    15 900 Renegade
    12 XRS 800 QA
    09 Polaris Dragon 600
  • Sled:19 XRS 900T Ren IC - 19 XRS 850 Ren IC

Posted Yesterday, 12:02 PM

cover mine with blankets and leave the very back open and use space heater to blow heat under the flap.  This works the best for me.   

I have a kerosene space heater but if you point it at the sled parts get so hot you cannot even touch them.   

Had similar problems trying to melt in the trailer.   Skid still full of snow and handlebars and parts on top of sled are too hot to touch

#8 Skandic Wide Track

Skandic Wide Track

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Sled:1995 skandic wt

Posted Yesterday, 12:03 PM

I completely agree but I doo like ur idea of making a make shift covering with a strong heater. Those salamanders pump out serious heat and I'd think even if u left the end the salamander is pumping air from u could get it warm enough to melt everything. Only part I don't like is being outside as soon as ur heat source goes away u will have instant cold and freezing again which is less than ideal.

#9 Nooski

Nooski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Archery, fishing, ATV, bird and deer hunting, avid golfer,
  • Sled:2014 GSX SE 600 Etec

Posted Yesterday, 12:04 PM

That is true enough...A partial thaw / no dry time,  is worse than no thaw at all in my opinion.

What he said.  If you can't thaw the whole and let it sit in a heated environment until all the moisture and condensation drys up I wouldn't do it.  Partially thawed just moves the moisture around to freeze in a different place.  The only real concern for me is ice build up in the skid that may lock the track or moving parts.  When the ice was real bad I have lifted the rear end and used my ice fishing buddy heater.  Put it back near the track.  The heat rises and it warms the ice enough to break loose and fall free.  Then you can pull the chunks out.  I would then spin the track some to remove water.  Did that a few times in my unheated garage up north when there was a lot of ice buildup after a ride and the skid was packed with slush or snow.  .    

Edited by Nooski, Yesterday, 12:30 PM.

#10 18000HP

18000HP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1317 posts
  • Interests:Cutting wood , breaking trails and fixing stuff
  • Sled:2010 V800 SWT 2011 Renegade X 800

Posted Yesterday, 12:28 PM

The other thing to consider, if you're fuel level is low at the time you will have condensation in the the tank when you give a cold sled thaw time.

At some point, you will need gas line antifreeze for sure.

Winter is the COOOLEST Season :Cheers

#11 papa-d

papa-d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:21 Gade XRS 850
    20 Gade XRS 850
    2018 MXZ XRS 850
    2017 MXZX 850
    2016 Blizzard 800
    2015 Gade X 800
    2013 MXZ X 600 etec
    2012 Gade X 1200
    2010 Gade 800 p tec
    2007 Blizzard 600 SDI
    2004 GSX 500SS
  • Sled:2021 Renegade XRS 850

Posted Yesterday, 05:00 PM

When we back pack across the state for 3 or 4 days, the sleds set out in the cold all the time. In the morning we lift the back of the sleds and drop it a few times, breaking the ice. Then we back up. That rolls the chunks out the back and off we go. If I didn't have a heated place to put the sled for at least over night, I would leave it out in the cold. In my opinion always cold is better than a partial thaw and then refreeze. I would keep a cover on it to keep the snow, rain and freezing rain off the top surface and controls.

Edited by papa-d, Yesterday, 05:04 PM.

When it freezes in Hell I'll snowmobile there too.

#12 Mill

Mill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Sled:2006 Rev 800

Posted Yesterday, 11:56 PM

I don't know guys this topic has me worried, leaving a sled out in the cold? I don't think they are meant for that type of abuse.

I keep mine wrapped in electric blankets inside a heated shop, cozy. Then only go out when it's warm, that way I don't need to ever thaw them out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Edited by Mill, Yesterday, 11:57 PM.

#13 TheBearAk

TheBearAk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4755 posts
  • Sled:2015 Skidoo Renegade BC 600 etec

Posted Today, 12:40 AM

The key to heating up inside a "tent" type structure is minimize the air leaks.  I had one of those 12' x 20' carport tents.  I used snow to seal the bottom to the ground.  Then used a 50k BTU kerosene space heater.

Last time I did it I was thawing out a car.   It was hovering around -40F outside at the time.  After about an hour running, it was about 60 degrees inside the tent about 3' off the ground.  It was probably 40 degrees at 1-2' off the ground.

If I were to thaw out a sled in that, I'd probably throw down a couple pallets to get it off the ground/snow.

#14 tnt5150

tnt5150

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts
  • Interests:Beer/Butter/Bacon.
  • Sled:2021 MXZ XRS 850

Posted Today, 09:25 AM

Build a box out of 2 inch rigid Styrofoam. Set a space heater in there and done. That mug will get warm fast.

"Say when"

21 MXZ XRS 850 Liquid Titanium/Red

19 MXZ XRS 600R Yellow/Silver

19 MXZ TNT 600R Black(son's 2nd sled)
18 Neo NAS207TF enclosed inline trailer
16 MXZ X 600 ETEC Black
14 Renegade Sport 550F(Son's first sled)
15 Renegade X 600 Etec Orange/Black
08 Mxz TnT 500SS
04 MXZ 600HO
01 MXZ X 800
97 MXZ 670
94 ZR 700 (BIGGEST P.O.S. EVER!)
90 JAG 440
87 COUGAR 550
80 JAG 340
79 SPORTFIRE 440
79 ENTICER 340
76 GS 340

#15 repairman54

repairman54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out at the NSA listening post
  • Sled:'09 1200 GSX LE - '13 1200 GSX SE

Posted Today, 10:31 AM

I had my sleds in a 12x20 Shelter Logic for 5 yrs until I got a garage at camp. Pallets with plywood on top of them for floor. 

50k torpedo heater would get it toasty and defrost the sleds as snow sealed the bottom and make it bearable to do maintenance. Thermostat on the heater to maintain temperature. Took awhile to get up to temp. but turned it on and came out later to do stuff so ice would loosen up . 

Sunny days between weekends would melt off most ice without the heater on. It would get to 60 F on zero days after a hour of running the torpedo and bonus of melting off the roof so no raking it off. 

John
"Some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"

Sleds I've had...
'74 Colt 250SS
'76 Pantera 500 FA
'78 TX 440 FA full mod.
'84 Indy 600
'85 Indy 600
'86 Indy 400
'99 XC 700
'04 MXZ 600
'06 GSX 600 sdi