Has anyone mounted a 7" tablet on a Gen 4 for GPS use - REV-GEN 4 - MXZ Performance Trail 129/ Renegade 137 - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Has anyone mounted a 7" tablet on a Gen 4 for GPS use

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 670hoth

670hoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1279 posts
  • Sled:18 MXZ 850 TNT

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:09 AM

Has anyone mounted a 7" tablet on a Gen 4 for GPS use with pre-loaded maps? 

- Any pics of mounting? 

- Is a heated enclosure really needed for use down to 10 deg F? 

- Wouldn't just keeping it plugged in keep it warm enough?

This looks like a nice low cost solution. Reviews say its quite sunlight readable and runs mapping software fine.  It should be fairly easy to mount using the glove box extension and buying and using parts from a tablet car mount off Amazon: 

Tablet: 

Sun Shade: 

#2 Layman

Layman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Interests:Riding, a very little bit of golf, and being a dad.
  • Sled:2020 Renegade X 600R 1.5 IR

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:55 AM

I have a 7" Samsung Galaxy A6 Tablet.  I bought it used off ebay in perfect condition for just over $50.  Down side is it is running like android 5.X so I cant install brp go (not that seems like a big loss at this time. LOL.)  I run the Polaris App and the Vermont VAST App.   But for like $100 bucks all in with the mount and a rugged case, it is a cheap solution that wont break my heart should something happen to it.   

Used it all last year.  I had no problems with it.   No sunshade, but I did not do a whole lot of daytime riding last year.   I used the Ram Tab Tite mount I believe, and just bolted it to the glovebox extension using the AMPS pattern.  Those holes are pre-marked on the glovebox extension if i recall correctly.  Wired it to my Doo USB outlet in the glovebox.  No heater, it just stays plugged in all the time, so it is constantly charging while the sled is running.  It kind of fits perfect on the extension.  Any bigger and there might be clearance issues, or make the glovebox a pain to open.  

I have some picture somewhere that I will try and find, or maybe I will just go take some.   But the bottom line is for $100 bucks or less you can have a workable GPS solution.   

#3 Webdogg

Webdogg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Sled:2017 Renegade 850

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:19 AM

Has anyone mounted a 7" tablet on a Gen 4 for GPS use with pre-loaded maps?

- Any pics of mounting?
- Is a heated enclosure really needed for use down to 10 deg F?
- Wouldn't just keeping it plugged in keep it warm enough?

This looks like a nice low cost solution. Reviews say its quite sunlight readable and runs mapping software fine. It should be fairly easy to mount using the glove box extension and buying and using parts from a tablet car mount off Amazon:

Tablet:

Sun Shade:

I have a 7.9 in a RamMount eZ-Rollr bolted thru the large glove box. Very secure. They likely have Samsung size

I think the mount was like 70 on Amazon and then the glove box extension so fairly reasonable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Pit Grunt, 18 April 2021 - 07:59 PM.

2017 850 Renegade
2017 850 Renegade Flatland Turbo
2019 900 Renegade Turbo
2021 850 Freeride

#4 670hoth

670hoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1279 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 01:48 AM

Thanks guys.  Any pics would be great!

#5 crxski

crxski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts
  • Interests:Long walks on short peirs
  • Sled:17 850x, Indy Mod, Bravo Élan 250

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:02 PM

I guess if it has GPS on the tablet and in a waterproof case it should work. I think it would still die even plugged in but thats just me. Everything dies at minus 30c. With engine heat it might help it. I would maybe put a duct 1.5 or 2 inches coming up from the motor to heat the back of it. Maybe if it needs it. Love to see pics also great idea.
2010.5 800x with rmotion and QA, reeds clutching, 2ply with Triggers. The hole shot King. True stock class
1991 Indy Trail, left for dead resurrected as the Retro Indy trail. IQ seat, LED tail, rebuild motor, Skandic skis, sc3, big wheel, ripsaw 1.25.
1973 Elan 250 Twin, VM32 carb, new track, 42 mph on speedo, without a tail wind.

#6 670hoth

670hoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1279 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:25 AM

I guess if it has GPS on the tablet and in a waterproof case it should work. I think it would still die even plugged in but thats just me. Everything dies at minus 30c. With engine heat it might help it. I would maybe put a duct 1.5 or 2 inches coming up from the motor to heat the back of it. Maybe if it needs it. Love to see pics also great idea.

I don't ride often when its below 10 or `5 deg F.  I am thinking the heat from just being plugged in and charging may be all that is needed.  If not, I suspect someone makes a 5 watt or so heat pad that runs off USB and count be stuck on the back of the tablet.  I haven't looked for this yet but I bet there is something out there.

#7 97mach1

97mach1

In Search Of PAH!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1853 posts
  • Sled:2017 Renegade Adrenaline 850

Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:56 PM

Here’s an 8” tablet and a $4 zipper case and a RAM mount.587ce3279a696791ac229035efd26ecc.jpg
ff0dc99ecc5f57f445d09cf70ace6447.jpg

#8 Webdogg

Webdogg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Sled:2017 Renegade 850

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:17 PM

I’ve road without a waterproof case for 4 years with no issue. You never get any water sitting in that area even off trail.
Don’t waste you money IMO

2017 850 Renegade
2017 850 Renegade Flatland Turbo
2019 900 Renegade Turbo
2021 850 Freeride

#9 XP123

XP123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7722 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, Golf and being a Grandpa
  • Sled:2019 XRS 900T 2019 X 900T

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:46 PM

I have a 7” Garmin mounted on the glovebox extension and it fits perfect. All I did was use a Ram mount on the door of the extension.

I don't like what I ride because I own it.
I own what I ride because I like it.

#10 Kinney Falcon

Kinney Falcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Sled:2016 Renegade 600 2019 Renegade X

Posted 27 November 2020 - 07:34 PM

I also have a Garmin 2797 with a Ram mount. Going on five years. No issues

#11 Philm

Philm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling of course!
  • Sled:2018 Renegade 600 Ace, 2007 GTX 550

Posted 09 April 2021 - 05:46 AM

Ive used a Samsung Tab A 8 in on a RAM mount for several years, it is not the ruggedized version and under 15-20F it will pop up a message saying its too cold to charge and Id have to turn the screen off and just turn on when I needed to look at it.  Also that mount was spring loaded and if I hit a really bad bump it could fly out happened a couple times.

This year Im upgrading to the Samsung Tab Active2  which is an 8 inch and the EZ roller mount that has pogo charging pins and the setup is made to operate in the cold and outdoors.   

I will probably mount it similar to 97mach1's setup on the steering post.  Ive always used Locus Pro Map app as I just make my own maps including off trail routes away from the ITSs but I think I am going to also try backwoodsgpstrails.com their maps include a lot of local club trails in Maine from the looks of it.

Phil

#12 DTXRSB

DTXRSB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3663 posts
  • Sled:2021 Polaris Matryx VR1 650

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:25 PM

Why would you do that when you can buy a G4 with the 7.8 GPS gauge? :rofl :headbang 

#13 Blueblood

Blueblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Sled:2020 renegade xrs 900t

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:25 AM

because the 7.8 gauge is only what half of that when in gps mode. and also brp app does not have certain states and provinces trail system. you should think before you post and look into something.

#14 DetroitDooer

DetroitDooer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Sled:2020 MXZ TNT 850 Etech 129”

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:05 PM

Why would you do that when you can buy a G4 with the 7.8 GPS gauge? :rofl :headbang

Because the 7.8 screen is a POS that freezes up and resets constantly after shutting down the sled. Might want to research that option before puking nonsense. Polaris has the stock GPS software locked down. To bad their sleds are garbage IMO.

#15 DetroitDooer

DetroitDooer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Sled:2020 MXZ TNT 850 Etech 129”

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:07 PM

because the 7.8 gauge is only what half of that when in gps mode. and also brp app does not have certain states and provinces trail system. you should think before you post and look into something.

Another option is by Trailtech. I purchased one of these and they are amazing. $500.00 seems steep but well worth it and holds up to any weather condition. Link added to check it out. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users