• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:2009 Tundra LT 550F
    2001 Bravo LT
    2015 RMK 600
  • Sled:2018 Expedition LE 900 Ace

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:49 PM

I have been silently reading the wealth of knowledge from this forum and decided it is time to join. Post number 1... here we go!

I recently joined the club with a 'new to me' 2018 Exp WT LE 900 Ace. I was hauling a XC track setter working the machine hard and it made me wonder why it does not read out the engine temp on the display? According to the user manual this was a standard for this machine (left side opposite the fuel, where the grip heat select shows)- can anyone confirm? I have gone over the wiring harnesses and all is connected, fuses check out.  

Thanks.

Attached Images

• IMG_2948 (1).jpeg

#2 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3151 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, bikes, birds and sometimes fishing.
  • Sled:Expedition SWT

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:24 PM

I have been silently reading the wealth of knowledge from this forum and decided it is time to join. Post number 1... here we go!

I recently joined the club with a 'new to me' 2018 Exp WT LE 900 Ace. I was hauling a XC track setter working the machine hard and it made me wonder why it does not read out the engine temp on the display? According to the user manual this was a standard for this machine (left side opposite the fuel, where the grip heat select shows)- can anyone confirm? I have gone over the wiring harnesses and all is connected, fuses check out.  

Thanks.

Yes, that should be displaying the engine temperture there. Strange that it's not.

Do the hand and thumb warmers displays work? They should display whenever you change the warmer settings. 

I did have my gauges go out one time when I have a bad battery connection, but I think then I lost the temp and fuel guage. 

#3 charlie208

charlie208

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
    2001 Bravo LT
    2015 RMK 600

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:37 PM

Yes, the hand and thumb warmers both display, so the screen is OK.

I tried popping out the LCD gauge cluster, checked all my connections, and tried tracing wires which MAY be engine temperature probes... I am unsure which ones exactly to check.

Interestingly, after working the engine hard towing a groomer I did get the cooling fan to come on, so I believe its just a display issue, not a temperature regulation problem. 

#4 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3151 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:35 PM

Yes, the hand and thumb warmers both display, so the screen is OK.

I tried popping out the LCD gauge cluster, checked all my connections, and tried tracing wires which MAY be engine temperature probes... I am unsure which ones exactly to check.

Interestingly, after working the engine hard towing a groomer I did get the cooling fan to come on, so I believe its just a display issue, not a temperature regulation problem. 

Yes, definitely a display issue, because you should see the temperature icon next to the guage. 

#5 M1garand

M1garand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Sled:15 WT 900 Ace 17 LE Exp 900 Ace

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:47 PM

Do you have the manual?  The Expy display has several options for what can be shown RPM, MPH, TEMP need to use the "M" & "S" buttons to choose what is displayed

#6 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3151 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:08 PM

Do you have the manual?  The Expy display has several options for what can be shown RPM, MPH, TEMP need to use the "M" & "S" buttons to choose what is displayed

For those side displays, the default is engine temp, and it goes to hand warmer when you press the handwarmer controls. That side guage he's referring to should never be blank like that. 

#7 M1garand

M1garand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:53 PM

Yep missed that.   But I would try to get the temp on the main display if it wont show up there my guess would be the wire from the sending unit is bad or not connected.

#8 charlie208

charlie208

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
    2001 Bravo LT
    2015 RMK 600

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:07 PM

Cycling through the M & S buttons I get access to many other screens, but none of them are temperature. Does anyone know which wires and probes send the temp information from the engine to the display? If I knew then I could further isolate the problem.

#9 M1garand

M1garand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:01 PM

Looks like the sending unit is on the right side (not sure how I got it blue)

eng.jpg

#10 charlie208

charlie208

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
    2001 Bravo LT
    2015 RMK 600

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:37 PM

Thanks a lot! I am grateful for such a resourceful community. I will do some tinkering, see if I can sort it out, and let you know if I find the issue. 

#11 Saguenay Bill1

Saguenay Bill1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Sled:2020 Expedition 900 Sport

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:41 AM

I had a 2018 Blizzard 900 ACE that did not display the engine temp the first year I had it.  I asked my dealer why it did not display it.  He called Ski Doo,  they send him something, forgot what it was.  I brought my sled to him, he hooked it up to the sled, through his Buds computer and then it would display the engine temp

#12 08SWT

08SWT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2250 posts
  • Interests:Photography, snowmobiling
  • Sled:2018 SWT 600 etec

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:34 PM

You might have to hook it up to Buds.

Previous sleds, oldest first;

Yamaha Exiter

Polaris Widetrack GT

Tundra

2008 SWT 550f fan

#13 charlie208

charlie208

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
    2001 Bravo LT
    2015 RMK 600

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:59 PM

I checked the wiring and connection from the right side Coolant Temperature Sensor and it was fine. I unplugged it, started the engine, and it threw a "Check Engine" warning, confirming that the circuitry is OK. When I plugged it back in, still no temperature display.

I guess the next step is a phone call to the dealer and get it on the scanner... bust out the wallet! 

#14 18000HP

18000HP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1318 posts
  • Interests:Cutting wood , breaking trails and fixing stuff
  • Sled:2010 V800 SWT 2011 Renegade X 800

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:38 PM

This will sound too easy but just in case... Disconnecting the battery for let say, a day or 2....Wouldn't that reset the computer to original settings and maybe bring back the temps on the gauges ?

Was it always like that from way back when you first got the machine ?

Winter is the COOOLEST Season :Cheers

#15 M1garand

M1garand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:14 PM

I checked the wiring and connection from the right side Coolant Temperature Sensor and it was fine. I unplugged it, started the engine, and it threw a "Check Engine" warning, confirming that the circuitry is OK. When I plugged it back in, still no temperature display.

I guess the next step is a phone call to the dealer and get it on the scanner... bust out the wallet! 

Hopefully its a simple program fix with BUDS and not the ECM or instrument cluster, let us know what they find

Edited by M1garand, 21 November 2020 - 09:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users