Windshield ? - REV-GEN 4 - MXZ Performance Trail 129/ Renegade 137 - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Windshield ?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 1roadking

1roadking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Sled:2020 Renegade X Etec 850

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:54 AM

Looking for some input on a windshield for my 2020 Renegade X. I added a low to medium height adjustable last year and like it way more then the low that came with the sled. I never set it below the max height and actually would like it higher. I be was trying to avoid the side wings for looks but realized I care more about not getting blasted in the neck and chin with ice cold air LOL. My question is about my next option. Should I go med to high adjustable or just put a high in. I’m 6ft and have a long torso so I sit high. I feel like I need the wind hitting me at least another 5 or 6 inches higher. I’m also considering a high to extra high adjustable wind shield.

#2 Scott0700

Scott0700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Sled:Renegade

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:27 PM

I’m 6’3”. Got my first tall windshield last year. Hate the look but love the comfort. Won’t go back. Ask yourself what makes the experience more enjoyable: looking cool or being comfortable?
I’d go with the fixed tall windshield.

Edited by Scott0700, 20 November 2020 - 01:28 PM.

#3 Donseye

Donseye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, Boats and Golf
  • Sled:2017 850X, 2021 850X

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:44 PM

Check out the windshield in this video. Looks like good protection without it taking away from the looks as much as the Skidoo tall shield does. 

#4 Fastazu

Fastazu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Sledding.....
  • Sled:18 MXZ X 850,19 Gade XRS, 20 XRS BC

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:45 PM

5095f8357f088938ba3cf144b92e5864.jpg
Not trying to be a dink, but why buy an XRS if you are going to turn it into a Grand Touring. A super tall windshield takes away a majority of the attributes that the sled is made for, hitting moguls would seem Out of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Fastazu, 20 November 2020 - 04:46 PM.

#5 Donseye

Donseye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, Boats and Golf
  • Sled:2017 850X, 2021 850X

Posted 20 November 2020 - 05:33 PM

Not trying to be a dink, but why buy an XRS if you are going to turn it into a Grand Touring. A super tall windshield takes away a majority of the attributes that the sled is made for, hitting moguls would seem Out of the question.

Well do not tell that to my 6 ' 4" buddy that buys only XRS sleds every year and rides them harder and faster over the most gnarly moguls  and to this day I have never seen anyone stay with him the whole day.  He always puts on a high windshield and mirrors. So I say everyone to there own! I prefer the smaller shield but that is just me......

#6 Nooski

Nooski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Archery, fishing, ATV, bird and deer hunting, avid golfer,
  • Sled:2014 GSX SE 600 Etec

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:29 PM

Looking for some input on a windshield for my 2020 Renegade X. I added a low to medium height adjustable last year and like it way more then the low that came with the sled. I never set it below the max height and actually would like it higher. I be was trying to avoid the side wings for looks but realized I care more about not getting blasted in the neck and chin with ice cold air LOL. My question is about my next option. Should I go med to high adjustable or just put a high in. I’m 6ft and have a long torso so I sit high. I feel like I need the wind hitting me at least another 5 or 6 inches higher. I’m also considering a high to extra high adjustable wind shield.

I had lower to medium windshields.  This sled came with a higher windshield with wings and mirrors.  Would not consider going back.  Having wind hit you in the chest all day especially at higher speeds is tiring and colder.  Why not be comfortable and have fun at the same time.  I am the opposite of most now.  A trail sled with no windshield is not appealing to me and looks like it is missing something.   I can see mountain and off trail sleds with no windshield.  Having a higher windshield doesn't negatively impact fast trail riding.  I have a couple of friends who ride like demons but still have a medium windshield. 

#7 snirthead

snirthead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts
  • Sled:to many to list..currently 850 Gade x

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:08 PM

have you ever seen a cross country race or the Iron Dog?

#8 djm

djm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13778 posts
  • Sled:09 700HO TNT, 11 Summit 770HO, 850 Sum X

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:14 AM

And a sled is actually faster with a big windshield because it is more stream line than you can make your body tucking down behind the handle bars and a smaller windshield.   Some times function is more important than styling... 

Edited by djm, 21 November 2020 - 03:26 AM.

#9 andym2001

andym2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Sled:2020 XRS 600R ID

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:03 AM

XC racing and trying to stay warm... nothing beats the high windshield. You can mash Moguls just the same with this as I can with the bikini frame only. f90a8478cd209f8804436b2bdb8a9e1d.jpg

20 XRS 600R 129 Iron Dog

19 XRS 600R 129 Iron Dog

2004 Elite #265

1999 XCR 800

1996 XCR 600

1995 XCR 600

#10 krm

krm

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 17490 posts
  • Interests:building/racing sleds krm 432 driver graham coombs ,brandon colgin ,brett burns #217 moto cross ,Pro stk dirt cars ,Ken Martin Driver
  • Sled:,19 900t 20,850xrs 21 850x21900t x

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:22 AM

I have a high ,and a med/high adj shield .For me the med/high adj shield is the best of both worlds

#11 tcxc

tcxc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Sled:2015 1200 Boosted 2021 850 XRS

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:42 AM

I like the windshield on that sled in the video. Which one is it?

#12 YellowSnowman

YellowSnowman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Farting in crowded rooms
  • Sled:MXZ 8 Fiddy

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:13 AM

I bought the medium-high adjustable last year and went back to the medium that I had laying around.  Since I got the oxygen helmet, it didn't matter anymore.  It's that hot.

On a side note, I thought the adjustable windshield created a ton of turbulence on the back of my neck and back.  I could never leave it all the way up.  Maybe 2" from the top was much better but it was never a quiet ride like the medium.  I don't have experience with the large yet.

#13 Seneca

Seneca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:PA Grand Canyon, Tug Hill
  • Sled:2021 Renegade XRS 850, 2017 850 TnT

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:23 AM

I like the windshield on that sled in the video. Which one is it?

That was a medium shield sold in 2017 when the G4 came out and dropped by BRP for some unknown reason.  You could still find them on ebay and in some dealers stock up until about a year ago.  Good luck finding one new now.  I have one and love it.  Looks good and much better than the low shield.  Snow Tech even did a write up on it a couple winters ago saying how disappointed they were that it was dropped and how they carry it over from season to season on their test sleds.

#14 postman24

postman24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Sled:2021 Ski-Doo MXZ X 850 Etec

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:51 AM

Well do not tell that to my 6 ' 4" buddy that buys only XRS sleds every year and rides them harder and faster over the most gnarly moguls  and to this day I have never seen anyone stay with him the whole day.  He always puts on a high windshield and mirrors. So I say everyone to there own! I prefer the smaller shield but that is just me......

I usually go with a medium height windshield and standard deflector mounted mirrors. I kept the lower windshield with handlebar mirrors on my 2015 but am returning to the norm with my 2021, if it ever comes in. The handlebar mirrors really don't work too well especially when I am leading the pack which I usually do. In this photo, I really don't see a windshield. Higher windshields don't look as rad but they do help reduce drag and are much warmer on those single digit days.

#15 RAB123

RAB123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Sled:Summit

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:59 AM

That was a medium shield sold in 2017 when the G4 came out and dropped by BRP for some unknown reason.  You could still find them on ebay and in some dealers stock up until about a year ago.  Good luck finding one new now.  I have one and love it.  Looks good and much better than the low shield.  Snow Tech even did a write up on it a couple winters ago saying how disappointed they were that it was dropped and how they carry it over from season to season on their test sleds.

Is there a part number for the dis continued wind screen ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users