2020 Gen4 Venting for heat dissipation... - REV-GEN 4 - MXZ Performance Trail 129/ Renegade 137 - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

2020 Gen4 Venting for heat dissipation...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ricklock2007

Ricklock2007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Sled:2020 Skidoo 850 Renegade 137

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:02 PM

So I've seen this discussed in a few threads, but nothing after the update, always discussing 17 and 18's.

I just took delivery on a 2020 Renegade Adrenaline 850, and can't help myself but to keep fiddling in the garage until snow falls.

I've read a lot on heat issues with older gen 4's, but haven't seen nearly the negative feedback on the 19's or 20's.

Is it necessary to add venting for heat dissipation? If so what's the preferred option/placement/ brand?

Running a D&D Rage kit, and after a cracked clutch in the ole kitty cat, I'm really paranoid about blowing belts and cracking clutches.

I've seen the blowholes with very mixed results, xtreme vents, as well as ZRP and FirenIce. Curious on people thoughts if it's necessary or it was solved with the update.

Thinking xtreme vents on the shock posts as well as outer knee exhaust side and top on the clutch side, but not set on anything.

Thanks in advanced.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#2 drdoo55

drdoo55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Sled:2013 MXZX 800 ETEC

Posted 19 November 2020 - 04:22 PM

Get you're clutches aligned it's worth it where do you live?

#3 adixwpg

adixwpg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Sled:2017 MXZ-X 850

Posted 19 November 2020 - 04:50 PM

Personal opinion, but I dont like the aftermarket chimney and Vent options. They look cheap relative to the rest of the sled. Does the 20 not have the updated clutch vent and cover from the factory? It’s a skidoo factory accessory, I just installed it last night on my 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 adixwpg

adixwpg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Sled:2017 MXZ-X 850

Posted 19 November 2020 - 04:53 PM

https://peakboys.ca/...YhoCzU0QAvD_BwE

#5 2019gen4165

2019gen4165

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, boating, camping.
  • Sled:2019 Gen4 165X

Posted 19 November 2020 - 05:23 PM

Get the exhaust side vents top and back [ by your knee ] It really helps keep the exhaust from melting the plastics.  Peter

#6 Ricklock2007

Ricklock2007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:21 PM

Get you're clutches aligned it's worth it where do you live?

Detroit area.

#7 Ricklock2007

Ricklock2007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:25 PM

Mine does have the ventilation upgrade kit stock. I was curious if it still had any issues with that installed and I should look at extra venting.

#8 Ricklock2007

Ricklock2007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:27 PM

Get the exhaust side vents top and back [ by your knee ] It really helps keep the exhaust from melting the plastics. Peter

Thank you

#9 ctdls

ctdls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Sled:850 E TEC

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:47 AM

I'm a mountain guy where we deal with lower ground speeds & snow loaded hoods. What we do may be excessive is trail conditions, in my earlier days I would place temperature probes under the cab. Back then we ran gauges for EGT's etc so it was not a big deal to add the under hood probes.

What I learned was the rules of convection applied to were you placed the vents. Keeping in mind they had to be protected from the trees & bush & minimal snow loading.

Keeping the clutches cool & low air intake temperatures made for consistent performance & belt life. As the sleds have progressed keeping that upper airbox cool is important, fighting frozen air intake vents is caused by overheated upper air box.

Then the key performance factor is clutch temperature, the G4 has posed new challenges for the aggressive rider. In the mountains we deal with poor clutch calibrations & a motor that acts like a gyro under load. Then of course the engineer's dream of the clutch guard, load the foot well with snow in our world & see how that works....or doesn't

How do I vent the G4 cab? First the upper plastic were the steering column comes thru, it is wide open underneath that. You can add several holes & in my case I have a post forward that opens up a big hole behind the column.  Then in front of the lower LH & RH belly pans I add round SLP pre filters, 2ea per side. Very well protected there & no one will ever notice them.

The side doors near the rear @ the top I add 2 more pre filters per side.

SLP pre filters are very expensive, one of the reasons is the material. Snow will not be allowed to pass, another rule is you do not want moisture just clean cold air.

Then the belt guard, I cut out the do not remove comment molded into the plastic. Then add a few more holes so when the foot well is plug the trapped hot air can escape & the air that is circulating by the driven & drive fins can do it's job.

#10 Ricklock2007

Ricklock2007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:31 AM

I'm a mountain guy where we deal with lower ground speeds & snow loaded hoods. What we do may be excessive is trail conditions, in my earlier days I would place temperature probes under the cab. Back then we ran gauges for EGT's etc so it was not a big deal to add the under hood probes.

What I learned was the rules of convection applied to were you placed the vents. Keeping in mind they had to be protected from the trees & bush & minimal snow loading.

Keeping the clutches cool & low air intake temperatures made for consistent performance & belt life. As the sleds have progressed keeping that upper airbox cool is important, fighting frozen air intake vents is caused by overheated upper air box.

Then the key performance factor is clutch temperature, the G4 has posed new challenges for the aggressive rider. In the mountains we deal with poor clutch calibrations & a motor that acts like a gyro under load. Then of course the engineer's dream of the clutch guard, load the foot well with snow in our world & see how that works....or doesn't

How do I vent the G4 cab? First the upper plastic were the steering column comes thru, it is wide open underneath that. You can add several holes & in my case I have a post forward that opens up a big hole behind the column. Then in front of the lower LH & RH belly pans I add round SLP pre filters, 2ea per side. Very well protected there & no one will ever notice them.

The side doors near the rear @ the top I add 2 more pre filters per side.

SLP pre filters are very expensive, one of the reasons is the material. Snow will not be allowed to pass, another rule is you do not want moisture just clean cold air.

Then the belt guard, I cut out the do not remove comment molded into the plastic. Then add a few more holes so when the foot well is plug the trapped hot air can escape & the air that is circulating by the driven & drive fins can do it's job.

This is exactly what I was hoping for. I'll check out the SLP vents, appreciate your commentary on location. Confirms I should Xtreme back top vents, will consider your other placement as well vs. shock tower vents.

Sincerely appreciate you.

Thanks!

#11 Gin la pine

Gin la pine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts
  • Sled:2020 xpert 154

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:24 AM

being an adrenaline id tell you you dont need extra vent most likely overkill....And thats coming from someone that had a problematic 2018 freeride belt and temp wise....My 2020 expert is night and day...assuming even back in 2017-2018 trail sled were fine i dont see why you would need to hack the plastic on your new sled.....deep snow , low air flow is another story....

#12 auto

auto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1318 posts
  • Interests:Supermoto back road riding Bass Fishing
  • Sled:2019 MXZ TnT 850

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:00 AM

as the manufacturers are always battling the noise regulations, the engine bays are sealed up pretty good.excessive heat is always your enemy, especially the clutches. the older sleds had a few advantages, less hp which equals less heat, much longer cc measurement, longer belt, belt had more time off the clutch sheaves, better cooling. as long as you're not letting moisture in , you can't have too much air flow, cooling.

#13 windsurfnut

windsurfnut

Windsurfnut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts
  • Sled:2020 MXZ X-RS 850

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:10 PM

My 2020 MXZ XRS runs cool - wouldn't think of adding venting.  The 2017 I run with runs hot and blows a belt any time its held wide open on the lake, even after updates.  My 2020 I have 5000kms on the original belt.  I'm not very easy on it..

2014 Ski Doo MXZ 600 Etec TNT (Wife's)

2011 Ski Doo GSX LE 600 Etec (Kid's)

Previous Sleds:

2006 Ski Doo MXZ 550 X (Kid's)

2016 Ski Doo MXZ 800 X-RS

2014 Ski Doo MXZ 800 X-RS

2012 Polaris Rush 800 Pro-R LE (what was I thinking!)

2009 Ski Doo MXZ 800 X

2007 Ski Doo MXZ 800 Blizzard

2001 Ski Doo MXZ 700 X

1998 Ski Doo MXZ 670

1993 Ski Doo Formula STX 583

#14 Doo600800

Doo600800

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Sled:08 GSX Limited 800r and 600 sdi

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:06 PM

I have a 17 TNT 850, just installed the Doo vent kit, ordered a vent that goes where the access panel for the clutch bolt goes.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

#15 Mach21

Mach21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Sled:2021 MXZ X-RS

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:12 PM

My 2020 MXZ XRS runs cool - wouldn't think of adding venting.  The 2017 I run with runs hot and blows a belt any time its held wide open on the lake, even after updates.  My 2020 I have 5000kms on the original belt.  I'm not very easy on it..

That’s great to hear. But I wouldn’t run that belt any further, cuz it will blow eventually and, it’s always better to swap it out, before it blows and makes a mess. But that’s great that your XRS runs cool with regard to the belt/clutches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users