any reviews of the LED high beam lights on a G4? - Page 2 - Sledding - General Discussion - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

any reviews of the LED high beam lights on a G4?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Yamdoo

Yamdoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Sled:Backcountry 850

Posted 30 October 2020 - 07:19 AM

So does one argue that Skidoo puts these lights in on purpose and makes the buyer buy extra lights if they desire? Or do you go with the approach that Skidoo sees LED lights as dangerous in snowing conditions that does help you see? I haven’t ever heard a Polaris guy or Cat/Yamaha guy complain that their light is horrible in the snow ever. I don’t ride much at night so it’s kind of a mute point sort of to me. But my friends that have a Polaris, when I follow it’s definitely a difference that I must say I’m a bit jealous of. I just can’t see adding a light for $400 that I just don’t see as a nice looking feature on the sled. If the stock headlight was only LED is what I see as nice. But if they don’t want to change the bucket to adapt to a LED, why should I do anything either. Hopefully on next version of sleds they make the move to make this a mute point but for some reason I see Doo not budging because they like seeing people buy all the extra lights and put more money in their pockets after the fact of buying a sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thought is Ski Doo goes with the standard lighting because it is cheaper and it works. This also allows them to sell the accessory LED bar to get better lighting for those that want it.Ski Doo saves money on the front end and makes more money on the back end. As far as the competition using LED bulbs in stock builds, they would also have the correct reflector pattern in the "bucket" to focus the beam and minimize the wasted spread so they get a better pattern. The only downside I see to factory LED is that they don't produce heat. That means in a heavy snow storm the bulbs do not melt the snow off the lens and you have to stop to wipe your headlights yourself as your light diminishes. I went through this with my last Ford F250 where I would need to pull over every 10-30 miles to clean the snow pack off my headlights. I had changed the bulbs from std to LED. In the std Ford light assembly the LED's gave a far brighter vision of what was in front of me (and did blind the crap out of oncoming traffic, even on low beam. Did it pass inspection every year? Yes, but the beam spread still blinded oncoming traffic and that's with the bulbs adjusted to a legal beam pattern. In fog they were horrible. In snow they were horrible. I would have to drive much slower because any speed and I would outride my sight field. On a clear night? Outstanding. I could see every animal I was approaching, which is why I bought them in the first place. The std lights had me drive past a large moose standing on the side of the road and I didn't see him. The LED spread pattern lights up the sides well down the road which allowed me to avoid moose walking out of the woods. Same thing would happen if I added LED bulbs to my DOO, the pattern would light up sideways better down the trail, and "edit for bad language" off oncoming traffic catching that spread in their eyes. My new truck came with std bulbs (which suck) so I added a grille guard with a 20" light bar. As far as Doo std headlights, I am fine with them as I don't outride my sight field so I won't spend $400 on an additional LED bar. 

Edited by Yamdoo, 30 October 2020 - 07:21 AM.

#17 ncapster

ncapster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9625 posts
  • Sled:18 MXZ-X 850 & 18 MXZ Sport 600 ACE

Posted 30 October 2020 - 07:32 AM

IMHO the G4 reflector sucks no matter what type of bulb you put in it. Stock halogen bulbs used to work just fine in all my previous sleds. I never felt the need to upgrade lighting until I bought a G4.

#18 ncapster

ncapster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9625 posts
  • Sled:18 MXZ-X 850 & 18 MXZ Sport 600 ACE

Posted 30 October 2020 - 07:35 AM

I’m hoping for model year 22 BRP will decide they’ve milked this cow long enough.

#19 mcdoo_xrs

mcdoo_xrs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Sled:2020 Renegade Adrenaline 600R

Posted 30 October 2020 - 11:37 AM

googled dootalk + auxillary high beams and found another thread...  in it there was a PDF showing the different lights. Found it helpful so figured i would post since search on this site is less than stellar.

Attached Files

Edited by mcdoo_xrs, 30 October 2020 - 11:37 AM.

Current Sled

2020 Renegade Adrenaline 600R

Previous Sleds

2019 Renegade XRS 900T 

2018 BCX 850

2016 Freeride 137

2015 Renegade XRS

2000 MXZ 700

1980 Arctic Cag Jag 3000 

#20 FordFan17

FordFan17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Sled:2016 1200 Renegade X

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:22 PM

My thought is Ski Doo goes with the standard lighting because it is cheaper and it works. This also allows them to sell the accessory LED bar to get better lighting for those that want it.Ski Doo saves money on the front end and makes more money on the back end. As far as the competition using LED bulbs in stock builds, they would also have the correct reflector pattern in the "bucket" to focus the beam and minimize the wasted spread so they get a better pattern. The only downside I see to factory LED is that they don't produce heat. That means in a heavy snow storm the bulbs do not melt the snow off the lens and you have to stop to wipe your headlights yourself as your light diminishes. I went through this with my last Ford F250 where I would need to pull over every 10-30 miles to clean the snow pack off my headlights. I had changed the bulbs from std to LED. In the std Ford light assembly the LED's gave a far brighter vision of what was in front of me (and did blind the crap out of oncoming traffic, even on low beam. Did it pass inspection every year? Yes, but the beam spread still blinded oncoming traffic and that's with the bulbs adjusted to a legal beam pattern. In fog they were horrible. In snow they were horrible. I would have to drive much slower because any speed and I would outride my sight field. On a clear night? Outstanding. I could see every animal I was approaching, which is why I bought them in the first place. The std lights had me drive past a large moose standing on the side of the road and I didn't see him. The LED spread pattern lights up the sides well down the road which allowed me to avoid moose walking out of the woods. Same thing would happen if I added LED bulbs to my DOO, the pattern would light up sideways better down the trail, and "edit for bad language" off oncoming traffic catching that spread in their eyes. My new truck came with std bulbs (which suck) so I added a grille guard with a 20" light bar. As far as Doo std headlights, I am fine with them as I don't outride my sight field so I won't spend $400 on an additional LED bar.

Agree. I was going to say the same about our current vehicles. Where I work, we threw on some LED headlights 2 yrs ago on the semis. The guys that went over the road eventually came back hating them in winter. But we replaced those LED lights with LED’s that had a heated lens. Now they are happier in winter conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 gadejethro

gadejethro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1106 posts
  • Sled:2019 Renegade 900T Enduro

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:52 PM

I actually really like the contrast of light temperature between my stock headlights and the AUX high beams. Was going to change out the stock bulbs as well, but once I rode with the setup I am not changing out the stock halogens. In fact, I like how it lights so much that if my stock headlight bulbs go out, I will replace them with the exact same thing. They just light up the trail well. The warm, yellow halogens are good in the snow and rain, the cool white LED lights are good for throw down the trail. 

Yes they are expensive but I would say they are priced very fair for what they are. Good lights are not cheap. Cheap lights are cheap.

#22 Yamdoo

Yamdoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Sled:Backcountry 850

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:06 PM

I actually really like the contrast of light temperature between my stock headlights and the AUX high beams. Was going to change out the stock bulbs as well, but once I rode with the setup I am not changing out the stock halogens. In fact, I like how it lights so much that if my stock headlight bulbs go out, I will replace them with the exact same thing. They just light up the trail well. The warm, yellow halogens are good in the snow and rain, the cool white LED lights are good for throw down the trail. 

Yes they are expensive but I would say they are priced very fair for what they are. Good lights are not cheap. Cheap lights are cheap.

Agreed. I run the LED light bar on my truck because it's too easy to out drive the factory std bulbs if an animal steps out of the woods 100 feet up the road. I've known too many people that have run into, or been run into, by moose on the road at night.

On the trails I haven't had a challenge yet due to lighting. If I do, I'll be adding aux lights.

#23 72bu

72bu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1444 posts
  • Sled:2011 MXZX 800 E-TEC / 2018 MXZX 850

Posted 31 October 2020 - 05:37 AM

I've read some complaints about the LED's performance in snow dust conditions. I didn't experience this problem. I thought it was just as good as the stock halogen.
In fact my wife and I were up in Marqutte Mi about 4 years and got caught in a whiteout condition. I never believed it could snow so hard. We were only able to creep along at about 3-5 mph. When I lifted my shield and it was difficult to breath because there was so much snow falling.
She has an XS with stock bulbs and the auxiliary LED light and anytime I would turn around and look for her the only thing I coul see is the LED headlight. When riding behind me during the day in snow dust conditions. I have her put the auxiliary light on because it is much more visible than the halogen.
I find it as a safety measure for on coming traffic in snowy conditions.

Edited by 72bu, 31 October 2020 - 05:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users