any reviews of the LED high beam lights on a G4? - Sledding - General Discussion - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

any reviews of the LED high beam lights on a G4?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Zekester

Zekester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Sled:'20 BC, '77 RV Cross country

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:14 PM

Anyone running the new LED high beam lights that sit on the outer edges of the headlights?

Opinions? 

Zekester
South Western Ontario

'20 BackCountry 146 600R, '77 RV Cross Country
Previous sleds: '76 RV250, 77 olympique, 81 Blizzard 9500, 06 MXZ 500SS,  '11 600 Etec MXZ T'nT, '15 Renegade 600X

#2 Z7*

Z7*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6202 posts
  • Interests:Family Hunting Fishing Sledding
  • Sled:2021 BC XRS on the way

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:18 PM

I had em on my 19 and will be putting them on my 21.

Over priced but they work great.

#3 ncapster

ncapster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9625 posts
  • Sled:18 MXZ-X 850 & 18 MXZ Sport 600 ACE

Posted 26 October 2020 - 03:06 PM

I just installed a set to compliment the Doo LED bar under the headlight and my Sii Alpha LED bulbs. From what I've read most who have them say they make a really big difference and people recommend them over the light bar when folks ask about it. Personally I like the bar. It really lights stuff up nice close to the sled. It's like an aux low beam so you can have both on at the same time. The way my sled was delivered from the dealer it was downright unsafe / unusable at night. I added the bar, Sii Alpha bulbs, & cranked up the headlight aim as high as it would go. The sled was then usable at night. I'm hoping these aux high beams complete the package. In the garage they seem bright as heck. After walking into the house I had a blind spot like I was staring into the Sun....LOL 

Edited by ncapster, 26 October 2020 - 03:40 PM.

#4 snowshreder

snowshreder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
  • Interests:My family, hunting, snowmobiling, utv(2014 maverick xrs Max, 2018 X3 XRC), golf, shooting skeet, , boating, my SSR, camp, etc
  • Sled:20/21 900T gade xrs - 18 900 blizzard

Posted 26 October 2020 - 03:23 PM

Ran them on my 2020 900 xrs and they are excellent,very bright, good distance and work on your dimmer switch. Set going on my 21 now.

#5 mcdoo_xrs

mcdoo_xrs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Sled:2020 Renegade Adrenaline 600R

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:11 AM

Would love to see before and after photos of the view for distance if anyone has them.

Current Sled

2020 Renegade Adrenaline 600R

Previous Sleds

2019 Renegade XRS 900T 

2018 BCX 850

2016 Freeride 137

2015 Renegade XRS

2000 MXZ 700

1980 Arctic Cag Jag 3000 

#6 Boylstonrider

Boylstonrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1411 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiling, dual sport bike riding,Deer hunting

Previous sleds:2017 gade ace 900 HO 2016 gade ace900, 2014 gade 600 Etec, 2007 IQ 600 CFI, 2006 Fusion 600, 2002 XCSP 800, 1993 Safari 377
  • Sled:2020 ski doo renegade 900 turbo

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:46 AM

I started running them last year. Now I won't go without them..

#7 Pit Grunt

Pit Grunt

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8422 posts
  • Interests:ADMIN
  • Sled:2020 900 ACE Renegade DOOTALK sled

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:42 AM

Would love to see before and after photos of the view for distance if anyone has them.

Do a search.. There are all kinds of threads. SII is a sponsor on the site. 

WE RIDE !!!

#8 mcdoo_xrs

mcdoo_xrs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Sled:2020 Renegade Adrenaline 600R

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:11 AM

Understood, was referring to the doo aux hi beams. Ive owned the SII before but thinking of going a different route.

Ill try the search.

Do a search.. There are all kinds of threads. SII is a sponsor on the site.

Current Sled

2020 Renegade Adrenaline 600R

Previous Sleds

2019 Renegade XRS 900T 

2018 BCX 850

2016 Freeride 137

2015 Renegade XRS

2000 MXZ 700

1980 Arctic Cag Jag 3000 

#9 snirthead

snirthead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2958 posts
  • Sled:to many to list..currently 850 Gade x

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:24 AM

A must have, they work awesome, I run Sylvania SilverStar Ultras in place of my stock headlight bulbs however, Best of Both Worlds and eliminates the "LED wall" and snow dust/ snowfall blindness often found with LEDs

#10 syracusestars37

syracusestars37

IKnowNothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1062 posts
  • Sled:850

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:39 AM

They are ungodly expensive for what they are, and i'd like to thing i'm rather frugal. It pains me to pay that much for lights, knowing the margin is likely insane on them, but man they work. And soooo much better than the under headlight led on the G4.

#11 FordFan17

FordFan17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Sled:2016 1200 Renegade X

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:03 PM

A must have, they work awesome, I run Sylvania SilverStar Ultras in place of my stock headlight bulbs however, Best of Both Worlds and eliminates the "LED wall" and snow dust/ snowfall blindness often found with LEDs

So what do you feel you gained by these bulbs vs stock? I am concerned about LED in the snow at night not doing well. I’m not an avid rider at night, but when I do I wouldn’t mind better and I’m not going to throw in the bar that Doo offers, I just can’t justify it over just switching bulbs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 900mac

900mac

Supreme Snowmobiler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1802 posts
  • Sled:2020 enduro 900t, 2011 600 sport

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:28 AM

So what do you feel you gained by these bulbs vs stock? I am concerned about LED in the snow at night not doing well. I’m not an avid rider at night, but when I do I wouldn’t mind better and I’m not going to throw in the bar that Doo offers, I just can’t justify it over just switching bulbs out.

The Sylvanias are a little brighter than the stock bulbs. I run them with the LEDs on High beam, because I dont like the LEDs at night in snow or snow dust, the sylvanias work good on low beam in the snow.

#13 FordFan17

FordFan17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:48 PM

The Sylvanias are a little brighter than the stock bulbs. I run them with the LEDs on High beam, because I dont like the LEDs at night in snow or snow dust, the sylvanias work good on low beam in the snow.

So not drastic enough that it’s a huge difference just cleaner light. Then I might as well stay with what I have stock.

#14 Yamdoo

Yamdoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Sled:Backcountry 850

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:48 PM

You nailed it. LED bulbs in the stock bucket really fall flat with snow dust, they just don't penetrate as well and make your vision worse.

People "think" they have a better light view which only works better if you replace the entire "bucket" so the reflectors are correct for the LED pattern. The false impression is caused by the change in light brightness but the light beam is more dispersed which causes oncoming sleds to bear the brunt of the "beam spread".

This is one spot where Polaris did a better job than Doo (rare event). They have the correct bucket to go with the LED bulb.

#15 FordFan17

FordFan17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 05:09 AM

You nailed it. LED bulbs in the stock bucket really fall flat with snow dust, they just don't penetrate as well and make your vision worse.
People "think" they have a better light view which only works better if you replace the entire "bucket" so the reflectors are correct for the LED pattern. The false impression is caused by the change in light brightness but the light beam is more dispersed which causes oncoming sleds to bear the brunt of the "beam spread".
This is one spot where Polaris did a better job than Doo (rare event). They have the correct bucket to go with the LED bulb.

So does one argue that Skidoo puts these lights in on purpose and makes the buyer buy extra lights if they desire? Or do you go with the approach that Skidoo sees LED lights as dangerous in snowing conditions that does help you see? I haven’t ever heard a Polaris guy or Cat/Yamaha guy complain that their light is horrible in the snow ever. I don’t ride much at night so it’s kind of a mute point sort of to me. But my friends that have a Polaris, when I follow it’s definitely a difference that I must say I’m a bit jealous of. I just can’t see adding a light for $400 that I just don’t see as a nice looking feature on the sled. If the stock headlight was only LED is what I see as nice. But if they don’t want to change the bucket to adapt to a LED, why should I do anything either. Hopefully on next version of sleds they make the move to make this a mute point but for some reason I see Doo not budging because they like seeing people buy all the extra lights and put more money in their pockets after the fact of buying a sled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users