Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Temp modual is a complete scam

5K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  RainmanX 
#1 ·
Not sure if this has been discussed before. But just so everyone knows those temp modules that you have to buy for like $200 are a complete rip-off. To unlock the temp sensor read out feature on an XP or XM or any year with a premium gauge cluster. All you need is the buds system and go into advanced features and check a box for temp sensor under cluster. It's that easy.

#3 ·
Again all those features can be unlocked by checking a box on buds. I have the program. It's super easy to do. Any dealership that actually cared about their customers would do all this for them when they bought the sleds. The features are already in the software. They're just not a unlocked.

#4 ·
Again all those features can be unlocked by checking a box on buds. I have the program. It's super easy to do. Any dealership that actually cared about their customers would do all this for them when they bought the sleds. The features are already in the software. They're just not a unlocked.
Maybe they dont know???
Its been 10 years since I had xp that needed a box. Sounds like there is a software change on the budds.
The temp gauge is standard on all sleds now anyway.
The data logger could be handy for tuning IF it was like the data logger I had on my 09, the x gauge was needed to have that.

So is the data logger available for the G4???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
It's the original buds I use. The one that came out in 2006. There's also buds 2 but I actually prefer the original program. As for the data logging I haven't mess around with it much but I do know it can be unlocked on any of the newer etec premium gauges for sure.

#9 ·
I do have the mega tech license. I don't know I just find it to be a waste of money. I do it on every sled I sell through my shop. I unlock every future they have. With no extra charge. People should get what they pay for originally. If a cluster has the ability to do a specific function it should be enabled to work from new. Just one of my pet peeves.

#12 ·
Really is such a petty thing to include something and turn it off in software. You'd think that manufacturers would want to give away as much as they can when it cost them little or nothing. Specially after several years in production.
Yes, it becomes a bit ridiculous when you pay darn good money for a sled. It's greedy to me that the manufacturers do this AND get away with it.
Good on you canuckenEH for doing the right thing, hope you have a great year.

#13 ·
There is a guy on here, LoClass, and on Facebook that can unlock those features at a much cheaper price than to buy the modules. Even though I did buy the module for my '09 Summit and swapped it to my '14 Summit Sport to keep the temp gauge on the standard gauge. My 2018 BCX has the standard gauge (which is another load of crap they cheapened up the X package sleds that way) but that standard gauge does include the temp gauge setting just like if you had the little add on module box.

#16 ·
What about ambient temperature? Don't you need the module to get the ambient temperature probe?
That part I am not certain of? You may still need the module for the ambient airtemp? As for this whole discussion I am mainly talking about the older XP and XM models with the big round premium gauges up until 2017. I don't know a whole lot about the newer Jen 4 Clusters. Haven't dealt with them much.

#17 ·
Are we surprised? With the G4 Doo took functional lighting off the standard equipment list and replaced it with $400 LED accessories. I now have the better part of a grand invested into the lighting of my 13K OTD snowmobile. As long as Doo is #1 they'll be able to get away with stuff like this.

#20 ·
What they do is to get you the engine temp (which is just setting in BUDS) they sell you a module which they claim will get you both engine and ambient.

Now if you just want engine tempo that option is not offered, so you buy the temperature module which gives you both ambient and engine.

Yes, there is a sensor that comes with it for the ambient temperature and dealers will unusually attach it by the front shock.

#21 ·
I just had my kid's 600 ACE at the dealer to get it changed to learning level 2 so now it will be in Bravo mode with the green key versus sno-scoot mode. Anyways I asked about the temp and the kid tried to do it but the only options he saw were TPS and something else. At the service counter they said the version of Buds they had didn't have the ability to unlock features. I guess you need the fancier version of buds or something. What version do you have that has that ability so I can ask when I call around?

#22 ·
Yeah you have to have the mega tech license. Which I do have in my shop. Apparently regular dealerships are not even allowed to have that. I've never understood it. I'm just a private shop working from home. I paid $2,000 for the system and license fee.

#23 ·
Yeah you have to have the mega tech license. Which I do have in my shop. Apparently regular dealerships are not even allowed to have that. I've never understood it. I'm just a private shop working from home. I paid $2,000 for the system and license fee.
I suppose, BRP wants to sell modules. So it would be a waste of my time then calling around to different dealers? I gotta find a mom & pop shop? Would the Can-Doo Pro software be able to do it?

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
I also have BUDS w/ Megatech but not everything can be unlocked with the Megatech License. Some features are related to firmware in specific clusters.

For example, I had a 2012 MXZ X 600 with the premium cluster. It also had Altitude, Lap Timer, etc. enabled from the factory. I purchased a new premium cluster for my wife's 2017 TNT 900. While Megatech gives me the option to enable Altitude, etc. and it shows up on the cluster when I enable it, the firmware will not save the settings when the ECM reboots. I can enable heated grips at idle, etc. but not the Altitude option that is available on the ETEC clusters.

You also have to remember it is a business decision by BRP. They knew they could have some of these functions available but they wanted to sell accessories and this was one way to do it. We may not like it but it is business..... its not personal

Also, Megatech is not an official BRP license. It is an after-market license that cracks BUDS to open up some of these settings. That is why dealers do not have access to it.

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is a guy on here, LoClass, and on Facebook that can unlock those features at a much cheaper price than to buy the modules. Even though I did buy the module for my '09 Summit and swapped it to my '14 Summit Sport to keep the temp gauge on the standard gauge. My 2018 BCX has the standard gauge (which is another load of crap they cheapened up the X package sleds that way) but that standard gauge does include the temp gauge setting just like if you had the little add on module box.
Thanks, LoClass hooked me up at a fraction of the cost of the one and only module Doo still sells. It was a bit of a drive but I figured with gas less than $2 a gallon WTH. Even with the gas money I still saved quite a bit over buying the module, plus I didn't have to install it. Oh and he was able to turn on the thumb & hand warmers at idle as well. The best part was not having to pay BRP for a feature that the sled already had. Thanks @LoClass.

#26 ·
This reminds me of the old days of analog cable. If you had basic cable your house connection had a filter installed. If you could get the box open you could remove the filter to access the premium channels. I don't advocate stealing, and am NOT suggesting that!

My point is only that the premium channels were already fed through the cable, and the filter blocked access. I find that identical to building options into a gauge cluster, then disabling them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.