#1 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Sled:2018 MXZ Blizzard 1200

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:22 PM

With the advancements in Electric Vehicle technology in the last decade, when will the technology creep into our sport.  The weight of the battery will be offset by the removal of the fuel tank and 40 litres of fuel.  No exhaust system.  The decades old CVT drive train will most likely disappear also. Are manufacturers telling their R&D folks to start working on this concept?  How will they create the hype and market buzz that is usually associated with new model years and engines now? Performance of the current electric vehicles on the road is amazing. Can it be duplicated in snowmobiles. What will the range of a charged battery be?  Will they have built in chargers that require plugging in when you arrive at the motel after a day of riding? Going electric in this sport will be a game changer on many aspects of the sport.  Noise issues go away, pollution issues etc.  Your thoughts?

#2 Superman

Superman

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 7179 posts
  • Interests:outdoors
  • Sled:Aye fiddy 19 FR 146,

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:32 PM

Its coming, take a while but its coming imo. 

You know you raised your son right when you start the sleds and he says 'Dad, I love that smell!!<p>If you don't turn around to look at your sled when you walk away, you bought the wrong sled!<br><br>
I partied with Jeff Ross

#3 Givrrr2damax

Givrrr2damax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Sled:12 Mxz TNT 1200 + 13 Renegade 1200

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:53 PM

They are already here....not the best range limit yet nor crazy performance but they are coming and probably will make huge advances in short time. Im thinking Tesla’s of sledding. Will take a number of years to become accepted but you will see them on the trails I’m sure. 

check them out here.   https://taigamotors.ca/snowmobiles/

:RevDude: Let It Snow Let It Snow Let It SNOWWWWW!!!!

#4 gpt

gpt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1404 posts
  • Interests:My family, most anything with an engine and Packers Football
  • Sled: 

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:22 PM

Energy density is still a significant issue that must be dealt with. Until then electric sleds will be very range limited. Series hybrid?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Northern Oconto County Wisconsin Cottage Cams

SledGuys (Oldest son's site)

My sleds:

2005 MXZ 600HO SDI

2000 Grand Touring 700

98 F3 600

98 F3 700

#5 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6351 posts
  • Sled:2015 Expedion SE 1200

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:24 PM

Going to be awhile till the restaurants and bars have enough charging stations to make up for the less than a full day range. I expect the full day rangecomes first, and then we'd still need charging stations at the hotels.

Edited by groo, 24 October 2020 - 10:33 PM.

#6 Toecutter

Toecutter

"The Podiatrist"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3628 posts
  • Interests:trail riding, golf, learning bout' crap I don't know, WW2 history (Thanks vets !)
  • Sled:2016 blizzard 600 etec

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:53 PM

The question is.....imo, is doo secretly developing their EV sleds ?

I have to think they are. Any rumors out there ?

We know Polaris is.

Edited by Toecutter, 24 October 2020 - 10:58 PM.

#7 red454

red454

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Sled:2021 MXZ 850 XRS

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:48 PM

I think you will see them on a snow cross course before seeing them on the trials. 

#8 codooster

codooster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1580 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors
  • Sled:LOTS O DOOs

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:22 AM

We know Polaris is.

BRP is working on it I'm sure....Buying up tech

https://electrek.co/...-motors-assets/

#9 Jereme6655

Jereme6655

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Sled:09 xp 500ss

Posted 25 October 2020 - 06:44 AM

While technology can be crazy and exciting to watch and be involved in........I honestly don’t know/believe it should be in the power sports.

Battery systems, while not new, are NOT something to mess with.

We as riders in the sports, commonly do repairs or tinker with our machines. I get that and I love that. BUT......I also work at a auto company that sometimes deals with electric vehicles. EVERY TIME I put on insulated gloves that are rated for 1000volts (YES 1000 VOLTS) I question what in the world we are doing.....and that’s just to verify the battery has been isolated from the vehicle. While we don’t run 1000 volts in cars....we do run 400. And if you’ve ever seen what happens when 400 volts grabs someone.....it isn’t pretty. And just isolating the power source involves some crazy procedures.

Think about standing on a conductive platform and having a short. Press throttle and boom. Not to mention, the sheer cost of having to replace a battery pack.

I’m not saying electric vehicles don’t have their places. But I don’t believe any power sports where you can be MILES into the woods should be running electric.....and that’s before you add in the winter elements and problems that we can run into.

Edited by Jereme6655, 25 October 2020 - 06:46 AM.

#10 FordFan17

FordFan17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Sled:2016 1200 Renegade X

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:44 AM

While technology can be crazy and exciting to watch and be involved in........I honestly don’t know/believe it should be in the power sports.

Battery systems, while not new, are NOT something to mess with.

We as riders in the sports, commonly do repairs or tinker with our machines. I get that and I love that. BUT......I also work at a auto company that sometimes deals with electric vehicles. EVERY TIME I put on insulated gloves that are rated for 1000volts (YES 1000 VOLTS) I question what in the world we are doing.....and that’s just to verify the battery has been isolated from the vehicle. While we don’t run 1000 volts in cars....we do run 400. And if you’ve ever seen what happens when 400 volts grabs someone.....it isn’t pretty. And just isolating the power source involves some crazy procedures.

Think about standing on a conductive platform and having a short. Press throttle and boom. Not to mention, the sheer cost of having to replace a battery pack.

I’m not saying electric vehicles don’t have their places. But I don’t believe any power sports where you can be MILES into the woods should be running electric.....and that’s before you add in the winter elements and problems that we can run into.

I don’t disagree with anything you said here. Unfortunately the snowmobiling world has a huge target on it from the environmentalists. They could be a bunch of dinks and force an end to our past time enjoyment, but it’s been allowed to carry on. For some reason a snowmobile gets a lot more heat for pollution vs a automobile, but probably only because we are running through a woods type environment vs a road where they seem to forget once probably stood trees.

I see it coming regardless of the potential range issues or durability issues related to batteries. If it’s going to eventually be the common source of travel for everyday life, why not recreation? I just wonder what the cost of something like this might be? Look at our snowmobile costs now, I don’t see it becoming more reasonable with electricity. But at the end of the day, the strong will survive and find a way to keep it going. I just don’t know how a charging station will be put up everywhere to accommodate everything that will be electric powered. I see the UP of Michigan struggling to afford life as we know it now in some spots when I go up every year, how do you force a business to spend the money if it’s not there? That’s just one state, how about those that run in the mountains away from society? Are we going to have to bring a boost pack along just to insure we make it for the day? Lots of things to think about before going all in on electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 bar549

bar549

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5598 posts
  • Interests:#1 - Wife & Daughters, WKA Kart Racing, Nascar, Drag Racing, Slot Cars, Machining
  • Sled:2016 Blizzard 900 ACE

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:10 AM

There will have to be a greatly advanced battery technology before this comes the norm. For ski resorts it will be ok, but other than that currently, it's a no go. Be ready for the cost, it's not going to be cheap.

Bob

My Build: "2016 Blizzard 900 ACE Build & Tune" N.A. - Dyno @ 111 H.P. Click Link for Details <p>https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1435138-2016-blizzard-900-ace-build-tune/

:thebee: My Clutch Videos: For the beginner and the seasoned veteran, these are a must see!  

#1- E-Drive 2 Primary Disassembly  https://youtu.be/NVEv_owtvkI  #2 - E-Drive 2 Primary Reassemble  https://youtu.be/QRVFdoTPORo  #2.5 - Review  https://youtu.be/olr7Dt8BVA8

#3 - QRS Disassemble  https://youtu.be/AOR4eaXkt_s  #4 - QRS Reassemble  https://youtu.be/g-Ik1e_hK6k  #5 - Wrap up and Setting Secondary Tension  https://youtu.be/ajM23xea_Rs

#12 Brad460

Brad460

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Interests:Motocross and snowmobiles
  • Sled:MXZ6 and ZR6

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:17 AM

There will have to be a greatly advanced battery technology before this comes the norm. For ski resorts it will be ok, but other than that currently, it's a no go. Be ready for the cost, it's not going to be cheap.

Bob

Clutch guys sweating just thinking about an electric sled...lol

#13 postman24

postman24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Sled:2021 Ski-Doo MXZ X 850 Etec

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:47 AM

The biggest obstacles to electric sleds and UTV's will be charging times and charging networks. It will take gobs of money to set up sufficient charging stations at all these motels, bars, filling stations and restaurants and direct enough current into these areas to run these charging stations. Riders will also not be content with waiting several hours or more for a charge as opposed to filling up the gas tank within minutes. So, the easy part will be producing the electric rec vehicles. The hard part will be setting up the infrastructure to adequately run (charge) these vehicles and obtaining an acceptable distance range. At 68 years of age, I seriously doubt I will ever own an electric rec vehicle or car for that matter. Even electric will eventually be superseded by other forms of propulsion. Can't imagine running a large airliner on electric. Bottomline, we are probably looking at a minimum of 10-20 years, maybe more, for any major changes especially in the more remote areas of the country.

#14 matejkav

matejkav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Sled:Ski-Doo 2016 Expedition Sport 600 ACE

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:44 AM

We know Polaris is.

No more rumors. BRP made it clear before Polaris that they intend to go electric. Just Google it. There's also a couple electric sleds out there that when examined clearly use BRP parts.

I don't know what the average sledder does in a day for miles, but the Taiga isn't far off from what a lot of people I know do. As long as Taiga's stated range is true it's already perfect for the mountains. I think we are a lot closer than we think to the ideal electric sled. I don't think technology is what's holding the product back. It's consumer doubt. Cost might be an issue at first, but this is how it always goes with new tech. As assembly lines retool and supply industries adjust to new demand costs should level out. I may be wrong with this one. I am no expert, but when you look at past shifts in technology and industry this is kind of what happens all the time...

I'm going to run my gas engine sleds into the ground, but I'm watching with great anticipation. Electric sleds will be great for developing battery technology. Batteries and cold weather don't mix. Necessity drives innovation.

Edited by matejkav, 25 October 2020 - 11:46 AM.

#15 Toecutter

Toecutter

"The Podiatrist"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3628 posts
  • Interests:trail riding, golf, learning bout' crap I don't know, WW2 history (Thanks vets !)
  • Sled:2016 blizzard 600 etec

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:58 AM

No more rumors. BRP made it clear before Polaris that they intend to go electric. Just Google it. There's also a couple electric sleds out there that when examined clearly use BRP parts.

I don't know what the average sledder does in a day for miles, but the Taiga isn't far off from what a lot of people I know do. As long as Taiga's stated range is true it's already perfect for the mountains. I think we are a lot closer than we think to the ideal electric sled. I don't think technology is what's holding the product back. It's consumer doubt. Cost might be an issue at first, but this is how it always goes with new tech. As assembly lines retool and supply industries adjust to new demand costs should level out. I may be wrong with this one. I am no expert, but when you look at past shifts in technology and industry this is kind of what happens all the time...

I'm going to run my gas engine sleds into the ground, but I'm watching with great anticipation. Electric sleds will be great for developing battery technology. Batteries and cold weather don't mix. Necessity drives innovation.

Great post.

Battery tech is improving at an accelerated rate.
I put a deposit down on the new EV pickup truck from Workhorse (Endurace), which has best tested in cold, snow and ice.
Should be available first quarter 2021.

f28eaac38f6bbb850a97ba0c356a22a7.jpg

Should look about like this ^^^^
It’s specs are awesome!

I could not find any info on doo/electric sleds when I did a google search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users