Bring back the triples! - Page 2 - Sledding - General Discussion - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Bring back the triples!

triple threecylinder twostroke concept

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#16 Meat Head

Meat Head

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2551 posts
  • Sled:340 Indy lite

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:03 PM

Start your search for a diamond in the rough that was purchased and never ridden, then go through it, and have an old heavy relic that sounds amazing with a set of pipes on it in your stable to ride when you feel like getting wild. Tis what I did, I ride it maybe once a week for an hour or two when I know the trails will be flat, hard and fast.

Yep.. sure be nice to have one with a r motion tho..

#17 Rotaxmadman

Rotaxmadman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Sled:15 McDoo MXZ-XRS, 2016 MXZ-XRS

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:22 PM

Apt to be a fist fight between you and I, Meat Head. Cuz I'd be 1st in line!

#18 FastD00

FastD00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3448 posts
  • Sled:2000 MXZ 600SB with some engine mods 😈

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:38 PM

With the technology doo has now it would be easy to have a 200hp reliable triple that gets amazing mpg. These 4 stroke turbos are pretty darn awesome but its hard to beat that pull of triple. the mach z 800s still eats the new high performance twins up .

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

#19 YBKewl

YBKewl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Sled:Renegade X 1200 2012

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:03 PM

Bring back the 1200 triple by adding 1 cylinder to de 850. Shave down a couple cc for rounding purpose and you would get a 230hp mill.

I too miss my triple days... and day dreaming in class.

#20 mile9c1

mile9c1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2691 posts
  • Sled:SB 800

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:11 PM

I'd like a 700 triple, single pipe, 140 hp. Loved my old Yamaha Viper but didn't like cleaning 3 carbs. EFI and electric oil pump would make the throttle pull nice and light. Pull start option! Shouldn't weigh much more than a current 600 mxz.

#21 Skipperbath

Skipperbath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Sled:2017 Ski-Doo Freeride 146

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:28 PM

I'd like a 700 triple, single pipe, 140 hp. Loved my old Yamaha Viper but didn't like cleaning 3 carbs. EFI and electric oil pump would make the throttle pull nice and light. Pull start option! Shouldn't weigh much more than a current 600 mxz.

Figured I’d work this one out too. Worked out to be between 138-146HP based on the same Ski-Doo comparisons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Skipperbath, 22 October 2020 - 08:32 PM.

#22 Skipperbath

Skipperbath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Sled:2017 Ski-Doo Freeride 146

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:38 PM

Bring back the 1200 triple by adding 1 cylinder to de 850. Shave down a couple cc for rounding purpose and you would get a 230hp mill.

I too miss my triple days... and day dreaming in class.

As for a 1200 triple, you’d be looking at an engine making between 232-250HP based on Ski-Doo numbers. It would be absolutely nuts haha. Stuff it into the widebody Gen-4 platform and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 simnil

simnil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:Making new tracks in fresh snow.
  • Sled:Lynx Boondocker RE 3900

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:25 AM

I swore no OEM would ever sell a factory 2S turbo.... well I have to admit I was wrong there and it will be interesting to see if Doo manages to detect all the coming mod-induced breakdowns customers will try to claim as warranty.

I might not go as fas as swear that no OEM will make a new 2s triple, or perhaps I will,  but I see it as extremely unlikely since it will cut into their profit. Making a triple is more expensive. The engine itself is one and a half times as much, you need three pipes, (if they put only one on they shouldn't bother making it in the first place), and perhaps making a dedicated platform to house all that "plumbing". 

Looking back through the history there are examples of sled models people had been shouting for for years and when they were actually released no one got them. One example that comes to mind is the Polaris 600RR. The trail riders of North America quickly realized that the snoX sled of their dreams wasn't great for giving their fat behind a pleasant ride smoothly down the trail. The huuuge remaining stock from the single production year, (-08), sled was shipped over to Scandinavia, the only market where it sold OK, and sold as both -09 and -10 MY sleds.

So, the OEM:s needs to filter the mass of "I'm first in line-BS" through a beer and wannaberacer-filter before predicting sales numbers, and I'm betting that filter is pretty fine these days. 

A Fourstroke is about as useful as a football bat........

#24 Dman800

Dman800

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Sled:2010 xrs 800, 03 Rev 144”

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:39 AM

Here we go again for the 20th consecutive season.....

#25 syracusestars37

syracusestars37

IKnowNothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1065 posts
  • Sled:850

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:41 AM

Yep.. sure be nice to have one with a r motion tho..

I dunno, Sure it would be cool to have one in the new chassis but I think thats what makes riding a triple today as "raw" as it is. You're on old iron. Its low slung, its heavy, it sounds mean with pipes. I think you would give a lot of that nostalgia up when you slap some DI/PFI injectors on it, and dump it into something like a G4. Then its just like every other sled, except a bit heavier from the 3rd lung.

If Somebody gave me an XP or a G4 chassis for free, I dont think i'd want to pull the motor out of my CK3 and put it in that sled. I like the 850 in the G4 for smashing moguls.

#26 postman24

postman24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Sled:2021 Ski-Doo MXZ X 850 Etec

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:21 AM

I would sell a testicle or both for a new skidoo etec triple. I have two triples right now and you cant beat the sound and the long legs at the big end.

LOL!! If you did that, you wouldn't have the moxy to ride a new Doo E-Tec triple!

#27 cetaneaddict

cetaneaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1079 posts
  • Interests:Flat or hill it don't matter
  • Sled:08 800R, 779, 03 F7, 98 809

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:42 AM

They install aftermarket ones once they remove the OEM ones lol

#28 MotoXR

MotoXR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2981 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, Camping & Yeti's
  • Sled:2014 Summit SP 600ETEC

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:16 AM

Here we go again for the 20th consecutive season.....

... remising about ill-handing snowmobiles.

#29 bar549

bar549

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5599 posts
  • Interests:#1 - Wife & Daughters, WKA Kart Racing, Nascar, Drag Racing, Slot Cars, Machining
  • Sled:2016 Blizzard 900 ACE

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:22 AM

No way, it's going to happen. Emissions, cost and declining sales, be happy you have sleds to ride now, in ten years they may be gone if numbers keep falling!

Bob

My Build: "2016 Blizzard 900 ACE Build & Tune" N.A. - Dyno @ 111 H.P. Click Link for Details <p>https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1435138-2016-blizzard-900-ace-build-tune/

:thebee: My Clutch Videos: For the beginner and the seasoned veteran, these are a must see!  

#1- E-Drive 2 Primary Disassembly  https://youtu.be/NVEv_owtvkI  #2 - E-Drive 2 Primary Reassemble  https://youtu.be/QRVFdoTPORo  #2.5 - Review  https://youtu.be/olr7Dt8BVA8

#3 - QRS Disassemble  https://youtu.be/AOR4eaXkt_s  #4 - QRS Reassemble  https://youtu.be/g-Ik1e_hK6k  #5 - Wrap up and Setting Secondary Tension  https://youtu.be/ajM23xea_Rs

#30 mile9c1

mile9c1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2691 posts
  • Sled:SB 800

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:34 PM

... remising about ill-handing snowmobiles.

An old SRX would out-handle any new sled any day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users