73 replies to this topic

#1 Skipperbath

Skipperbath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Sled:2017 Ski-Doo Freeride 146

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:14 AM

So me, being a big lover of the old school triples, got bored in my math class. I love the idea of the big 4 getting into a horsepower shootout like it was back in the day so I decided to punch some numbers and get an estimate of some HP numbers that new two-stroke triples would be putting out. These numbers are based on the performance of both their 600-650 class and 800-850 class and I set a benchmark for each engine at a 1000cc triple as it was the easiest to use. Ski-Doo came in at a 200.7HP, Polaris at 201.8HP, Arctic Cat at 210HP and Yamaha at 212HP. Since I wanted to use the idea that each brand was using their own engine, Yamaha's was a bit more difficult to calculate as they aren't currenting making any big two stroke engines themselves. I had to find the performance increase perentage of all the brands and apply that to the numbers of their last triple, therefore Yamaha's is probably not as accurate as the others. Even a 900cc Ski-Doo E-TEC triple could possibly be making between 174-188 horsepower, and these are numbers from the factory. Obviously, there are a lot of variables involved with this, and I'm not saying that this would be precise at all. However, I thought it was pretty fun to see the possibilities that could be had with today's technology. I truly do believe that there could be a market for these sleds. 

#2 Meat Head

Meat Head

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2551 posts
  • Sled:340 Indy lite

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:11 AM

So me, being a big lover of the old school triples, got bored in my math class. I love the idea of the big 4 getting into a horsepower shootout like it was back in the day so I decided to punch some numbers and get an estimate of some HP numbers that new two-stroke triples would be putting out. These numbers are based on the performance of both their 600-650 class and 800-850 class and I set a benchmark for each engine at a 1000cc triple as it was the easiest to use. Ski-Doo came in at a 200.7HP, Polaris at 201.8HP, Arctic Cat at 210HP and Yamaha at 212HP. Since I wanted to use the idea that each brand was using their own engine, Yamaha's was a bit more difficult to calculate as they aren't currenting making any big two stroke engines themselves. I had to find the performance increase perentage of all the brands and apply that to the numbers of their last triple, therefore Yamaha's is probably not as accurate as the others. Even a 900cc Ski-Doo E-TEC triple could possibly be making between 174-188 horsepower, and these are numbers from the factory. Obviously, there are a lot of variables involved with this, and I'm not saying that this would be precise at all. However, I thought it was pretty fun to see the possibilities that could be had with today's technology. I truly do believe that there could be a market for these sleds.

I would be the first inline..

#3 mach_123

mach_123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Mountain sledding, racing, travel, nascar, camping etc
  • Sled:2013 summit 163,2006 mach z,ps800,

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:22 AM

I would be second in line, they are great out east not in west, but been 25yrs out west and just moving back and first thing I am doing is looking for a big triple, lol

#4 postman24

postman24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Sled:2021 Ski-Doo MXZ X 850 Etec

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:54 AM

I've owned 2 triples (Polaris 650 Indy and Cat ZRT 800) in my lifetime, nice smooth running engines. Don't believe you'll ever see them again from the manufacturers. They are heavier, larger and more expensive to produce with no real performance advantage over the current twins. With prices skyrocketing on all new sleds, I don't see a real big market for any new triples. As for HP increases, most sleds are used for trail riding and trail machines are already overpowered for most areas.

#5 Skipperbath

Skipperbath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:13 AM

I've owned 2 triples (Polaris 650 Indy and Cat ZRT 800) in my lifetime, nice smooth running engines. Don't believe you'll ever see them again from the manufacturers. They are heavier, larger and more expensive to produce with no real performance advantage over the current twins. With prices skyrocketing on all new sleds, I don't see a real big market for any new triples. As for HP increases, most sleds are used for trail riding and trail machines are already overpowered for most areas.

Yeah, I agree. One possibility I can see them doing however is making them a special order, similar to the Ski-Doo 600RS. With the heavier, larger, and overpowered thing, they still wouldn’t be as heavy as the Yamaha four strokes, and a lot of people love those. Reliably making 200+HP in a setup lighter than something like a Sidewinder seems pretty fun to me.

Edited by Skipperbath, 22 October 2020 - 08:28 PM.

#6 cetaneaddict

cetaneaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1079 posts
  • Interests:Flat or hill it don't matter
  • Sled:08 800R, 779, 03 F7, 98 809

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:22 AM

I would sell a testicle or both for a new skidoo etec triple. I have two triples right now and you cant beat the sound and the long legs at the big end.

#7 waveraven

waveraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Sled:2017 1200 Blizzard

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:36 AM

There has been tripples available since at least 2009. The new tripples are infinitely more reliable than the old 2 bangers. :)

In all seriousness why ? Any more tightening of the emission regs 2 strokes are done they barely get by today.

If I was running the ship I'd be looking advancing light weight 4 strokes that can be used across platforms.

#8 Skipperbath

Skipperbath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:48 AM

There has been tripples available since at least 2009. The new tripples are infinitely more reliable than the old 2 bangers. :)

In all seriousness why ? Any more tightening of the emission regs 2 strokes are done they barely get by today.

If I was running the ship I'd be looking advancing light weight 4 strokes that can be used across platforms.

New four stroke triples more reliable than old two stroke triples? Obviously. However, they don’t have the same sound, same power delivery, same ease of maintenance. Pretty much nothing else compares. A new triple could have similar reliability to a new 600cc twin engine, a lot of which get 10000+kms. Two strokes will not be done anytime soon regarding emissions. They are always finding ways to make these machines cleaner. Until a four stroke comes close to the weight of a two stroke at a similar displacement, and can produce the same power reliably, there will always be a demand for two strokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Skipperbath, 22 October 2020 - 10:07 AM.

#9 syracusestars37

syracusestars37

IKnowNothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1065 posts
  • Sled:850

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:11 AM

Start your search for a diamond in the rough that was purchased and never ridden, then go through it, and have an old heavy relic that sounds amazing with a set of pipes on it in your stable to ride when you feel like getting wild. Tis what I did, I ride it maybe once a week for an hour or two when I know the trails will be flat, hard and fast.

#10 razer

razer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4959 posts
  • Sled:6ex,850x,900tnt,900tx

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:46 PM

I would sell a testicle or both for a new skidoo etec triple. I have two triples right now and you cant beat the sound and the long legs at the big end.

that made me lol, but i've said it for years someone should offer a triple 2s again

#11 72bu

72bu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1444 posts
  • Sled:2011 MXZX 800 E-TEC / 2018 MXZX 850

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:35 PM

A direct injected 1000 triple. I could only imagine how fun that would be out on the lakes.

#12 sno_mo_racer

sno_mo_racer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Sled:...

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:09 PM

Everyone keeps saying they are heavy. That was the old chassis triples. Weight wise it would be one more cylinder/piston and the crank and case extended on the existing twin. That extra weight will be low slung in the sled so not much difference felt. Factory make it singe pipe then the aftermarkets can make the rest.

Will be clean burning, great on gas and reliable as most well built triples back in the day had those characteristics compared to twins. Can see them in a little bit lower chassis of todays sleds pulling 185 stock single pipe and 200-210 with triple pipes.

Benefits would be no more hitting a wall about 100mph and creeping. Guessing steady pull to 110-115 then a gradual climb in stock form.

A lot of us are adrenaline junkies and would love the thrill they would produce.

Sent from my Post-It pad via CanadaPost. (5 days ago)

#13 Skipperbath

Skipperbath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:13 PM

Everyone keeps saying they are heavy. That was the old chassis triples. Weight wise it would be one more cylinder/piston and the crank and case extended on the existing twin. That extra weight will be low slung in the sled so not much difference felt. Factory make it singe pipe then the aftermarkets can make the rest.

Will be clean burning, great on gas and reliable as most well built triples back in the day had those characteristics compared to twins. Can see them in a little bit lower chassis of todays sleds pulling 185 stock single pipe and 200-210 with triple pipes.

Benefits would be no more hitting a wall about 100mph and creeping. Guessing steady pull to 110-115 then a gradual climb in stock form.

A lot of us are adrenaline junkies and would love the thrill they would produce.

Completely agree with you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 SC5 TIME

SC5 TIME

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Sled:2008 MXZX 600 SDI, 2014 MXZ SPORT

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:10 PM

I say try it in the sport line up tripe EFI to keep cost down.

#15 mbret2004

mbret2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9113 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes, exercise of any type, cars, small engines, my kids, home improvement projects, volunteer work, my faith.
  • Sled:2015 XR 1200

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:25 PM

Perfect use of math class. Well I must admit math is a subject you need a good grasp on no matter what you do. Truth be known, that was my strong suit so I drew out electrical schematics for my home projects during math class.
USAF, Ret, E-8
1979-2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users