#1 Shamus2009

Shamus2009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Sled:2010 mxz TNT 600

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:28 AM

Hey guys in the process of building a my own garage, been using the shop I work at to do maintenance and work on my sleds and vehicles. I’ve been gradually getting tools when the go on sale at the good ol Canadian tire, now I’m just curious what do you guys consider must haves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Judge64

Judge64

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5394 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling
    RV'ing
    Traveling
  • Sled:Blizzard 900, TNT 900, Enduro 900

Posted 15 October 2020 - 05:13 AM

Here are a few of my thoughts. I am sure you will get lots of ideas from others.

First, if you plan to work in it during the winter, insulate it and heat it. I built a large garage about 6 years ago and had radiant floor heat installed. In the dead of winter it is actually warmer than our house! It will add cost but make working on sleds and vehicles so much easier in the winter months it is worth the cost.

- Compressor and assorted air tools

- Jack and Jack Stands

- SAE and Metric Tools

- Torx and Allen Sockets

- Torque Wrenches

- Breaker Bar

- Ramps

- Speciality Tools for Routine Maintenance (brake tools for vehicles / clutch tools for sleds, etc.)

- Pullers

- C-Clamps

- Crescent Wrench

- Channel Locks

- Vice Grips

- Battery Powered Impact Wrenches / Nut Drivers (I've got a bunch of Ryobi tools that have been great)

#3 BARK-A-LOUNGER

BARK-A-LOUNGER

Scuttle Buttin' Solo

• DOOCrew
  • 63673 posts
  • Sled:Malcolm... 2015 MXZ-X 800 e-tec

Posted 15 October 2020 - 05:43 AM

Hammers that get progressively bigger, and a few go to phrases that don't offend others who are within ear shot...

2015 MXZ-X 800 e-tec........

100/290 Primary Spring.... 26/45 Gearing....

120" Ripsaw Track.... 84 Studs.... Gates Belt

Sleds name is Malcolm ......

#4 Saluda

Saluda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1643 posts
  • Interests:Spyder, snowmobiling, pedal bikes & pontoon boat
  • Sled:2020 Ski Doo MXZ TNT

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:26 AM

I've got more tools than ability. Good luck.

Come on snow !

#5 Blackout_D85

Blackout_D85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Sled:2009 Ski-Doo MXZ TNT 500SS

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:19 AM

A good pneumatic rivet gun that goes up to 1/4". Works amazing!

Nobody Cares. Work Harder.

#6 Shamus2009

Shamus2009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:51 AM

Here are a few of my thoughts. I am sure you will get lots of ideas from others.

First, if you plan to work in it during the winter, insulate it and heat it. I built a large garage about 6 years ago and had radiant floor heat installed. In the dead of winter it is actually warmer than our house! It will add cost but make working on sleds and vehicles so much easier in the winter months it is worth the cost.

- Compressor and assorted air tools
- Jack and Jack Stands
- SAE and Metric Tools
- Torx and Allen Sockets
- Torque Wrenches
- Breaker Bar
- Ramps
- Speciality Tools for Routine Maintenance (brake tools for vehicles / clutch tools for sleds, etc.)
- Pullers
- C-Clamps
- Crescent Wrench
- Channel Locks
- Vice Grips
- Battery Powered Impact Wrenches / Nut Drivers (I've got a bunch of Ryobi tools that have been great)

It will be heated and insulated, I’m paying a local company to put up the shell and then me and a couple friends are doing all the finish work. All good things listed I am lucky that some things like pullers I probably won’t have to purchase because we have a lot at the shop I work at and I can borrow them when needed

#7 my87csx481

my87csx481

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:sleds
  • Sled:17 GT SE 1200, hers - MXZ TNT 900 ACE

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:05 AM

Is your foundation poured yet?

If you plan on an automotive lift, or plan on radiant floor heating....both need to be considered together (I would think)....because the lift has it's own flooring requirements that may conflict with the radiant floor heating.

And obviously, tool storage.  That's my problem.  Too many tools, and nowhere convenient to put them all.

FS - BNIB Yellow ski handle pair - 505070917:  https://www.dootalk....pair-505070917/

FS - Grip n Rip Brace Bundles, C&T Heat Exchanger Protectors:  https://www.dootalk....ger-protectors/

How-To - Parts list and basic "how-to" convert electro-mechanical reverse to mechanical:  https://www.dootalk....-to-mechanical/

#8 Shamus2009

Shamus2009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:34 AM

Is your foundation poured yet?

If you plan on an automotive lift, or plan on radiant floor heating....both need to be considered together (I would think)....because the lift has it's own flooring requirements that may conflict with the radiant floor heating.

And obviously, tool storage. That's my problem. Too many tools, and nowhere convenient to put them all.

The plan is to put a lift in the extension that will hopefully come in a few years, this one is just 24x25 I didn’t want to go much bigger because of the cost of lumber at the moment. Hopefully it will go back down and I plan on putting up a 30x30 or 30x40 and that will have a lift and probably be able to store mine and my wife’s truck and the 24x25 will be mostly storage. Heat is going to be a heat pump I got one for free from my cousin who works for an electrical company they took it out of a house when they renovated and put in a different heating and cooling system.

Edited by Shamus2009, 15 October 2020 - 10:37 AM.

#9 bnorth

bnorth

Slednuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1934 posts
  • Sled:'19 Alpha 165

•    

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:48 AM

I have found that as the cordless tools have gotten better I use pneumatic tools less and less but it's still critical to have compressed air for some things. Working on sleds for sure go get the princess auto air riveter it's so nice to have. Also for sleds I like to have a short rolling stool to sit on when servicing things at knee height like chaincase or pulling a pipe. Along those lines get a good exhaust spring puller they will save some skin on your knuckles and some cursing. When I was young I got mostly all cheap tools and now I am finding myself changing the stuff I use all the time over to better tools. Snap On for the screwdrivers I constantly use, I found a good deal on Blue Point 3/8" drive metric and SAE sockets and I have Snap On 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drive ratchets. Next will be 1/4 drive sockets as mine are mix and matched and many are missing. 

2019 Alpha 800 165

1997 Kitty Cat

Previous:

17 174 SP

14 163X

05 Vertical Composites 1000 162

05 RT1000 162

#10 DOOtym

DOOtym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1426 posts
  • Sled:19 Gade XRS - 08 XP 600

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:27 AM

Hammers that get progressively bigger, and a few go to phrases that don't offend others who are within ear shot...

Spoken from experience !

When you reach the 12lb. sledgehammer those with sensitive ears to your vocabulary should be asked to leave the room.

Do your homework when deciding a brand for cordless tools, eventually that could grow into several dozen tools.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Mainway Solutions Greasable Suspension Components

Elka Shocks

Cudney Clutch kit

24/45 Gearing

1.5" Ripsaw 126 Studboy / Superlight Pro backers

Grip-n-Rip Bracing

#11 Mach189

Mach189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16487 posts
  • Interests:ice fishing, shuffleboard, bowling, vintage baseball
  • Sled:89 Mach1 05 500ss 20 Gade 600ace

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:06 PM

Mechanics stethescope 

#12 jak

jak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Sled:2021 Renegade X 900T

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:58 PM

Magnet.

#13 bullwhipman

bullwhipman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1350 posts
  • Sled:Ski-Doo's and Scorpion's

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:13 PM

Beer fridge.

#14 Ditchbangr zx

Ditchbangr zx

51 days till winter ☃️

• DOOCrew
  • 93890 posts
  • Sled:99 mxz 600 136" 05 Summit 800H.O 151"

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:21 PM

Don’t forget a sled lift if you don’t already have one.
  • Z7* likes this

#15 fz58317

fz58317

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1073 posts
  • Sled:2017 Enduro 1200

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:48 PM

Sled lift, a way to lift the sled from the ceiling, an arbor press, grinding wheel, drill press, and lots of LED lighting so you can see where you dropped the brake pad safety pin. These are good tools to have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users