Pull cord for electric start back-up - REV-GEN 4 - MXZ Performance Trail 129/ Renegade 137 - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Pull cord for electric start back-up

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 670hoth

670hoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1204 posts
  • Sled:03 MXZ800X Rev

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:06 AM

I bought a used 2018 MXZ 850 and think I am missing a rope and some other item(s) that I need to start the sled off the clutch if the electric start does not work. Can anyone tell me what I need for this? How long is the rope and is there some sort of clip to hold it on the clutch and a handle to pull on?  the manual is quite vague on this.  Thanks

#2 simnil

simnil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Making new tracks in fresh snow.
  • Sled:Lynx Boondocker RE 3900

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:55 AM

Its included in the "tool kit" that is delivered with the sled. Why not contact the guy you got the sled from and ask if he just forgot to give it to you.

If not, I would probably just fit a proper recoil starter rather than buying the emergency start rope/tool kit. There isn't much in the tool kit worth having anyways as long as you have the belt changing tool, (which is usually clipped in on the clutch guard).

A Fourstroke is about as useful as a football bat........

#3 krm

krm

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 17239 posts
  • Interests:building/racing sleds krm 432 driver graham coombs ,brandon colgin ,brett burns #217 moto cross ,Pro stk dirt cars ,Ken Martin Driver
  • Sled:,19 900t 20,850xrs 21 850x21900t x

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:15 AM

get kit 520001814

#4 waveraven

waveraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Sled:2017 1200 Blizzard

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:36 AM

Any strap or rope will work to clutch start a sled. As long as its long enough to wrap around it 1.5 turns roughly.

By the on my 1200s this was a big concern 10 years later never had one not start.
  • djm likes this

#5 850Gage

850Gage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Sled:2020 Freeride, 2017 Renegade

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:55 AM

There is no clip on the emergency starter rope nor a pull handle.  Just wrap the rope around itself to keep it on! 

I've never tried starting my sled with the e-rope but for those that have, how do you put the clutch guard back on without hitting the spinning primary?

#6 Seneca

Seneca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:PA Grand Canyon, Tug Hill
  • Sled:2021 Renegade XRS 850, 2017 850 TnT

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:01 AM

Very carefully.  Been there.

#7 ncapster

ncapster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9598 posts
  • Sled:18 MXZ-X 850 & 18 MXZ Sport 600 ACE

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:32 AM

There is no clip on the emergency starter rope nor a pull handle.  Just wrap the rope around itself to keep it on! 

I've never tried starting my sled with the e-rope but for those that have, how do you put the clutch guard back on without hitting the spinning primary?

Yep, there used to be one for the TRA but nothing for the P-Drive or the E-Drive. I would think it would be darn near mission impossible with just the thin little rope itself. I just picked up a back-up recoil kit for my 850. I always thought if it didn't start it would be first thing in the morning and I could simply jump start it (preferably with another sled, worst case scenario with my truck) and then it would be fine for the rest of the day. But the battery went bad in my son's 2018 600 ACE last year and even after jump starting it with my 850 and running it for several miles it still wouldn't re-start. His sled has a brand new battery now and the 850 is getting the back-up recoil. 

Edited by ncapster, 15 October 2020 - 11:35 AM.

#8 krm

krm

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 17239 posts
  • Interests:building/racing sleds krm 432 driver graham coombs ,brandon colgin ,brett burns #217 moto cross ,Pro stk dirt cars ,Ken Martin Driver
  • Sled:,19 900t 20,850xrs 21 850x21900t x

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:42 AM

You don't  2 people needed Wrap the rope ,install the belt guard not all the way in towards motor start motor have person holding guard put pin back in .Get it figured out at home as you''ll get hurt on the trail if your don't know how to do it .

#9 Mach21

Mach21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Sled:2021 MXZ X-RS

Posted 15 October 2020 - 05:14 PM

We had to do my buddies in the trail on a frigid Day in N. Maine last January. We wrapped the rope around the clutch and on itself, and yanked it up and she started easily(she was already warm). He put the cover right back on surprisingly in a snap with no issues. Maybe we just got lucky with putting the cover back on with the sled running??? Who knows?
  • djm likes this

#10 edclarkiv

edclarkiv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Sled:2019 Grand Touring Limited 600R

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:07 PM

Did my 600R after reading it in the manual just to see it work.  She started first try.

Ed

• djm likes this

#11 670hoth

670hoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1204 posts
  • Sled:03 MXZ800X Rev

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:43 PM

Where is the tool kit on the sled?  Maybe its there and I just have not found it.  Also, wouldn't it be good to use something as some sort of handle?  It seem a little more dangerous to wrap it around your hand and pull.   Thanks

Edited by 670hoth, 15 October 2020 - 11:44 PM.

#12 simnil

simnil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Making new tracks in fresh snow.
  • Sled:Lynx Boondocker RE 3900

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:53 AM

Only place for it is in the glove compartment unless your sled has som accessory storage fitted to it.

A Fourstroke is about as useful as a football bat........

#13 Spatzboy

Spatzboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2961 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, Waiting for snow, kids activities, Old Fords and Old GMC's
  • Sled:'20 XRS900Turbo '16 Blizzard 900

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:19 AM

If someone is really worried Ski doo Has the pull start add on accessory. I have one of them I would sell as well. PM me

#14 ncapster

ncapster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9598 posts
  • Sled:18 MXZ-X 850 & 18 MXZ Sport 600 ACE

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:25 AM

Where is the tool kit on the sled? Maybe its there and I just have not found it. Also, wouldn't it be good to use something as some sort of handle? It seem a little more dangerous to wrap it around your hand and pull. Thanks

It’s strapped to the belt guard.

You could wrap the other end of the rope around a tool in the kit and use it as a handle.

Edited by ncapster, 16 October 2020 - 07:27 AM.

• djm likes this

#15 sleder4

sleder4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Sled:2017 Renegade 850

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:03 PM

I put the pull cord kit on my 850 after it failed to start on a -40c morning on a sled trip. Let me tell you it is not fun wrapping the rope around the primary when your hands are blue and everyone else is ready to ride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users