#1 beerwolf

beerwolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Sled:Tundra 600ace

Posted 11 October 2020 - 11:02 PM

Hey guys, just wondering what kind of km's everyone is getting out of these motors before a rebuild?

#2 racnooc

racnooc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Sled:05 Summit X Expert 800 154

Posted 12 October 2020 - 03:55 PM

I got 3200 miles out of mine, but then I only rebuilt it because I had a carb boot go bad and lean out a cylinder making the compression drop down to 90.  Rebuilt it with MCB dual ring pistons and it is going strong with about 4700 miles on it now.  

Blue and Yellow 2005 Summit X 800,154

#3 Judge64

Judge64

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5394 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling
    RV'ing
    Traveling
  • Sled:Blizzard 900, TNT 900, Enduro 900

Posted 12 October 2020 - 05:23 PM

I had a 2005 GSX 800 and I sold it after it got over 5500 miles. I didn't want to hold onto it much longer and have to do a rebuild.

I did replace the carb boots and reed valves as well as did some carb work before I sold it. It was a strong runner... hard on gas but it had a lot of power and ran great.

When I was running 2-strokes before switching to 4-strokes, I would sell the sled once it got over 5000 miles. I figured someone would get a good season or two out of it before needing a rebuild.

#4 broncoformudv

broncoformudv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:sleds, boats, trucks, hunting, fishing
  • Sled:2006 Summit 800 X 154

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:09 PM

Most people recommend top end rebuilds every 2500-3000 miles to play it safe.  I have 2 identical 2006 Summit 800 X's.  Ran both to 4500 plus miles with no loss of compression before one blew, decided to park the other one at the point before the engine went.  The one that blew finally wore the locater pin down enough the top ring was able to rotate and got caught on the exhaust port.

2015 Expedition SE 900 ACE

2006 Summit 800X 154

2006 Summit 800X 151

2005 Expedition TUV 600 SDI

1997 Skandic 500

#5 Skandic Wide Track

Skandic Wide Track

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Sled:1995 skandic wt

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:41 PM

Most people recommend top end rebuilds every 2500-3000 miles to play it safe. I have 2 identical 2006 Summit 800 X's. Ran both to 4500 plus miles with no loss of compression before one blew, decided to park the other one at the point before the engine went. The one that blew finally wore the locater pin down enough the top ring was able to rotate and got caught on the exhaust port.

I cant imagine only getting that kinda milage b4 rebuilds. That would be about one good year for us. Our 2014 gsx 800 has 8000 miles and the 2018 has 7700.(gsx was leftover) I figure if they pop I will most likely drop short blocks into them since they are in excellent condition with brand new tracks. Plus the gsx has the air ride and heated seat and is super comfortable for the wifw.I also put the 2 up seat on it for the little 1. Keep the fuel fresh and run synthetic oil and I always run a little seafoam trough them periodically. Just what I do but food luck if u end up rebuilding.

Edited by Skandic Wide Track, 17 October 2020 - 05:42 PM.

#6 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 25485 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:09 PM

Most people recommend top end rebuilds every 2500-3000 miles to play it safe.  I have 2 identical 2006 Summit 800 X's.  Ran both to 4500 plus miles with no loss of compression before one blew, decided to park the other one at the point before the engine went.  The one that blew finally wore the locater pin down enough the top ring was able to rotate and got caught on the exhaust port.

I really do like that you follow the compression. I think those miles can be extended for both off and on trail riding. The locator pin is a tough one to predict in my opinion. It ranges from the quality of the pistons to the amount of heat and light detonation, to coolant ingestion, to the level of vibrations, to fuel and oil, to the elevation and average power output. I find the clutches and countershaft are components most often forgotten for the role they play in vibrations. Just installing the primary should be a big deal.

Air/Fuel Ratio for two and four strokes
Air/Fuel Ratio for 1200 with boost
Air/Fuel Ratio is measured through emissions
Wideband and EGT
Wideband readings of Air/Fuel Ratio on a two stroke
600 SDI MY2004 Lean/Hot spot running 6900-7000 rpm @ 40-45% Throttle Opening
800R Cranking Compression
800R Oil Injection / Premix combo
800R Turbo?
850 Cente Oil line for coolant pump melted
850 Main Oil line caught fire #1 and #2
900 ACE Turbo - muffler turning red hot
1200 4-TEC Mapping
1200 4-TEC MY 2009 to 2011 Fuel Line issues that could cause a fire
Batteries
Belt Blowers: Overview of UPMICHIGANDER's experience
BUDS 3.3.0 won't connect to SDI
BUDS not connecting to HO or SDI - Try a CanDoo
CVT efficiency - BlueMax
Deep snow intake for XP chassis
Diagnoses
E-TEC 600HO Clutching
E-TEC Oil Pump
E-TEC Dial-A-Jet
E-TEC Electric Start troubleshooting
E-TEC Engine Management
E-TEC Stator fault codes P1562 or P1563
E-TEC Capacitor Charge Hold Test and Residual Voltage Test
E-TEC Voltage Rectifier Regulator troubleshooting
Fuel Issues: Could new Ester type oxygenated additives be deteriorating the Fuel Sender Grommet?
Fuel pump and regulator replacement for ACE, E-TEC and SDI
Gasoline quality and storage
Bad Gas for a Two Stroke - Is it a Myth ?
G4 Clutch Alignment, Engine Movement, Sheave Runout and Clutching
GNR CVT Alignment for the G4
Grip N Rip Clutch Alignment testing
G4 850 Throttle Jerkiness solved with clutching
G4 850 Snappy throttle/clutch engagement
G4 850 pDrive tech - A question of Engineering
G4 Steering
G4 850 Tuned Pipe @ 12.6 lbs and Muffler @ 15.4 lbs vs 800R and 800RE muffler weight
Pictures - How to resize and upload to DooTalk
Pictures - How to post with the correct orientation
Pipe Pressure testing on a dyno
Pipe Pressure testing from LRD (#1) and (#2)
Pipe Pressure testing results from BRP
Oil versus Fuel consumption
Power at the Crankshaft vs Track - BlueMax
Power Curves: 600 HOE (E-TEC)
Power Curves: 600 vs 800 vs 850 vs 1000 vs 1200
Power Curves: 1000 vs 800 vs 600
Power curves: 800RE 2010.5 to 2016 vs 2016.5 850
Quebec/NY State border crossing
REV Gen1 Gauge Display stuck on "SCALE"
REV Gen1 Volt and Temp Gauge install
REV Gen1 electrical connectors for sensors and MPEM (Multi Purpose Engine Module)
Seafoam for E-TEC injectors
Shortblock or Rebuild?
Ski-Doo Snowmobile Tech Training
Stator testing for E-TEC using a T harness/Bridge
Stator testing for 1200 4-TEC
Stator replacement for a 1200 4-TEC
Suspension Adjustment
Triples - Coolant Pump Assembly
Y-Pipe bolts loosening fix

#7 beerwolf

beerwolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:58 PM

good info, appreciate it fellas! I think i'll buy this 2005 with 2600 km's on it.

#8 bnorth

bnorth

Slednuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1934 posts
  • Sled:'19 Alpha 165

•    

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:52 AM

I've seen them go 2000km and 6000km depends a lot on how they are ridden. 

2019 Alpha 800 165

1997 Kitty Cat

Previous:

17 174 SP

14 163X

05 Vertical Composites 1000 162

05 RT1000 162

#9 beerwolf

beerwolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:43 PM

I've seen them go 2000km and 6000km depends a lot on how they are ridden. 

This thing was senior ridden and probably warmed up for too long before it even moved. No wide open climbs or ever even been rode wide open.

#10 broncoformudv

broncoformudv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:50 AM

I cant imagine only getting that kinda milage b4 rebuilds. That would be about one good year for us. Our 2014 gsx 800 has 8000 miles and the 2018 has 7700.(gsx was leftover) I figure if they pop I will most likely drop short blocks into them since they are in excellent condition with brand new tracks. Plus the gsx has the air ride and heated seat and is super comfortable for the wifw.I also put the 2 up seat on it for the little 1. Keep the fuel fresh and run synthetic oil and I always run a little seafoam trough them periodically. Just what I do but food luck if u end up rebuilding.

This is a mountain sled page so I thought thats what we were talking about.   Trail sleds and utility sleds get way more life out of engines verse and engine that spends half its life wide open throttle pulling hard.

2006 Summit 800X 154

2006 Summit 800X 151

1997 Skandic 500

#11 broncoformudv

broncoformudv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:51 AM

Unlike a lot of other locator pin issues I have seen and heard of mine was still firmly locked in its proper location, just had a lot of wear on it from the end of the rings hitting it over the years and wearing it down.

I really do like that you follow the compression. I think those miles can be extended for both off and on trail riding. The locator pin is a tough one to predict in my opinion. It ranges from the quality of the pistons to the amount of heat and light detonation, to coolant ingestion, to the level of vibrations, to fuel and oil, to the elevation and average power output. I find the clutches and countershaft are components most often forgotten for the role they play in vibrations. Just installing the primary should be a big deal.

2006 Summit 800X 154

2006 Summit 800X 151

1997 Skandic 500

#12 bnorth

bnorth

Slednuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1934 posts
  • Sled:'19 Alpha 165

•    

Posted 22 October 2020 - 11:03 AM

This thing was senior ridden and probably warmed up for too long before it even moved. No wide open climbs or ever even been rode wide open.

perfect, those are the ones you want!

2019 Alpha 800 165

1997 Kitty Cat

Previous:

17 174 SP

14 163X

05 Vertical Composites 1000 162

05 RT1000 162

#13 Skandic Wide Track

Skandic Wide Track

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Sled:1995 skandic wt

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:49 PM

This is a mountain sled page so I thought thats what we were talking about. Trail sleds and utility sleds get way more life out of engines verse and engine that spends half its life wide open throttle pulling hard.

Very good point. When I read this I just saw "2005 800 life". Didnt notice the forum.

I doo however take my renegade off trail a lot and even to the back side of sugarloaf here in maine and no doubt, constant full throttle with end the life of ur engine much earlier.

#14 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 25485 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 22 October 2020 - 02:22 PM

Unlike a lot of other locator pin issues I have seen and heard of mine was still firmly locked in its proper location, just had a lot of wear on it from the end of the rings hitting it over the years and wearing it down.

I find it tough to guess the condition of the pins and rings. If the miles are high or I have reason to check, I have no qualms taking it apart for  good look and measure clearances. I've seen off trail 800s reach over 10K km, so I think it depends on a lot of things. All I know is when I work on a failed 2S, I always find something not right. When lucky enough to get the full story of a sled, a lot of things become apparent.

For the off-trail and hard pulls all their life, in my opinion off-trail has gotten a bad rep from things getting too hot. Most riders that I see play around and I can tell it isn't real hard on the engine. Then I see the odd person really push their sled. I have no qualms with that at all. That's what the sled is made for, but the point is the same sled and engine load on the trail is getting tons more air flow through the engine and clutch bays. By the way, I don't even need more than a foot or two of ground accumulation to scorch a belt in a play pen. If I'm not careful my belt can reach over 300F, and I'm not even doing half of what some of you guys are doing, and less than half the time too.

The first 15 years of riding sleds for me was only off-trail with Olympics, Elans and Enticers. I didn't even know there was such a thing as trails until I got a lot older. Once I reached 100+ Hp sleds a hole bunch of new problems started showing up.  The heat being generated is unreal. When I ask people who ride hard what they do about the heat, I am told they are made for it, or you worry too much. Oh ok.... Then I check their belt and clutch temps and just shake my head.  That's the main reason I enjoy seeing folks on DooTalk focus on the clutching, alignment and active venting if needed.

Here is where it gets funny. When I ask hard riders - on or off trail - to estimate how much time they spend at wot, I am always told something to the effect of most of the time. Then I plug into the ECM to check and that is not what it looks like. I see trail sleds with a higher percentage of wot than off-trail. Good old reliable 600cc riding the highway trail from Lac St-Jean to Va D'or. Same day, same ride. The engine is toast. How can that be, it's a trail, trail sled, and a reliable 600....

Two strokes and off-trailing both get bad wraps that are often undeserved. In my opinion, maintenance isn't the best term for a two stroke. What maintenance needs to be done on a sled, changing plugs every so many thousand miles? How is that going to address the different overheat problems?

I hope you don't see my reply as a challenge in any way, because I liked your post and I wanted to show another layer from my experience. Hopefully you do the same.

Alaska happens to have my favorite sled video with music by Hi-Rez. See the swimming lines going downhill? To me that looks like heaven. Last season on my trip to up North to parent, I found a unplowed log road that ran along side the trail. I swam it for as long as I could while I could still the trail. My only thought was why in the world would I want to ride trails over this??? When I reached Parent, within only a few min I had spotted two off-trail riders and learned they took off from the same hotel in Saint-Michel-Des-Saints, and ended at the same hotel in Parent, but did it all off-trail with the help of GPS. Trails are cool because they get you places, but they also dictate when to turn and when to go straight. I can do this in a car or truck! Since I was a kid I would sled to have fun. 2 to 4 hour trail ride, ok, but I will take 4 hours of fun over 8 hours of trails. i guess it's the way that I am wired.

Enjoy the video,
Peace.

Air/Fuel Ratio for two and four strokes
Air/Fuel Ratio for 1200 with boost
Air/Fuel Ratio is measured through emissions
Wideband and EGT
Wideband readings of Air/Fuel Ratio on a two stroke
600 SDI MY2004 Lean/Hot spot running 6900-7000 rpm @ 40-45% Throttle Opening
800R Cranking Compression
800R Oil Injection / Premix combo
800R Turbo?
850 Cente Oil line for coolant pump melted
850 Main Oil line caught fire #1 and #2
900 ACE Turbo - muffler turning red hot
1200 4-TEC Mapping
1200 4-TEC MY 2009 to 2011 Fuel Line issues that could cause a fire
Batteries
Belt Blowers: Overview of UPMICHIGANDER's experience
BUDS 3.3.0 won't connect to SDI
BUDS not connecting to HO or SDI - Try a CanDoo
CVT efficiency - BlueMax
Deep snow intake for XP chassis
Diagnoses
E-TEC 600HO Clutching
E-TEC Oil Pump
E-TEC Dial-A-Jet
E-TEC Electric Start troubleshooting
E-TEC Engine Management
E-TEC Stator fault codes P1562 or P1563
E-TEC Capacitor Charge Hold Test and Residual Voltage Test
E-TEC Voltage Rectifier Regulator troubleshooting
Fuel Issues: Could new Ester type oxygenated additives be deteriorating the Fuel Sender Grommet?
Fuel pump and regulator replacement for ACE, E-TEC and SDI
Gasoline quality and storage
Bad Gas for a Two Stroke - Is it a Myth ?
G4 Clutch Alignment, Engine Movement, Sheave Runout and Clutching
GNR CVT Alignment for the G4
Grip N Rip Clutch Alignment testing
G4 850 Throttle Jerkiness solved with clutching
G4 850 Snappy throttle/clutch engagement
G4 850 pDrive tech - A question of Engineering
G4 Steering
G4 850 Tuned Pipe @ 12.6 lbs and Muffler @ 15.4 lbs vs 800R and 800RE muffler weight
Pictures - How to resize and upload to DooTalk
Pictures - How to post with the correct orientation
Pipe Pressure testing on a dyno
Pipe Pressure testing from LRD (#1) and (#2)
Pipe Pressure testing results from BRP
Oil versus Fuel consumption
Power at the Crankshaft vs Track - BlueMax
Power Curves: 600 HOE (E-TEC)
Power Curves: 600 vs 800 vs 850 vs 1000 vs 1200
Power Curves: 1000 vs 800 vs 600
Power curves: 800RE 2010.5 to 2016 vs 2016.5 850
Quebec/NY State border crossing
REV Gen1 Gauge Display stuck on "SCALE"
REV Gen1 Volt and Temp Gauge install
REV Gen1 electrical connectors for sensors and MPEM (Multi Purpose Engine Module)
Seafoam for E-TEC injectors
Shortblock or Rebuild?
Ski-Doo Snowmobile Tech Training
Stator testing for E-TEC using a T harness/Bridge
Stator testing for 1200 4-TEC
Stator replacement for a 1200 4-TEC
Suspension Adjustment
Triples - Coolant Pump Assembly
Y-Pipe bolts loosening fix

#15 racnooc

racnooc

Advanced Member