Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

800 ETEC Smoking

6K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  ChuckT 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just picked up a 16 Summit X 800 pull start with 1800 miles. I got it with a known P1563 code (high voltage on system voltage circuit), but the sled starts and runs fine. Brought it home and noticed the capacitor starting to smoke, super hot to the touch. The stator and capacitor are supposed to be new. Any ides on what to do or check for next? I'm guessing the capacitor is fried at this point, hopefully not an ecm? I'm not an electrical guy so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got the capacitor removed. Appears to be leaking from somewhere, which might explain why it was sizzling earlier. Also, are these dents normal? And would it be smart to just replace this with a new one or would it likely get burnt up also? Thanks again! Automotive tire Wheel Rim Gas Automotive wheel system
Drinkware Tin Aluminum can Gas Electric blue

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Attachments

#3 ·
Correct, any leaking or swelling of a capacitor indicates it's done.
I'm pretty sure I had that same code last winter, sled would run but had gauge problems and I couldn't get any rpm out of it. Stator was done, I can't remember but either one winding was shorted to another, or one was an open circuit.
Capacitor failures aren't common, so that fact that both were just replaced might indicate a wiring short somewhere, or that the guy replaced both because of a misdiagnosis, or maybe preventative maintenance. Or maybe you were lied to.
In any case I'd still check out my wiring, specifically for shorts to ground or other circuits

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
If you are having over voltage on the 55 volt circuit, test the stator for proper resistance and cranking output. This will tell you if the stator is good or not. If the stator tests ok, you could certainly have a bad capacitor.

A short downstream of the stator will normally cause a low voltage. A grounded stator or damaged flywheel can cause a high voltage output.

#5 ·
If you are having over voltage on the 55 volt circuit, test the stator for proper resistance and cranking output. This will tell you if the stator is good or not. If the stator tests ok, you could certainly have a bad capacitor.

A short downstream of the stator will normally cause a low voltage. A grounded stator or damaged flywheel can cause a high voltage output.
His capacitor is toast either way

#8 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. Measured the voltage from the positive side on the capacitor and was reading around 100 volts when running. Quit running when testing and haven't been able to find that cause..but would the high voltage reading be a result of a bad capacitor or stator?? Is there anything else that could cause that? Thanks again guys!

#9 ·
A leaking capacitor is toast, so that needs to be replaced regardless.
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if 2 of the 3 windings are shorted together higher than normal voltage may be produced.
Hopefully it's your stator; otherwise, it's your regulator and that's in the ECM $$$

#19 ·
Hi!
Would you mind sending me that as well please? I’m having the same issue :(

Charlie.tindall4@gmail.com

thank you!!!

Yes
Check all 3 windings (yellow wires) for continuity (there shouldn't be)
Check all 3 windings for continuity to ground (there shouldn't be)
It's more detailed in the service manual
PM me your email and I'll send you a manual

#13 ·
Also, if it is a bad voltage regulator would it be possible to swap a new ecm entirely? They aren't too expensive on ebay for a used one, compared to what the dealer has them listed for. The ecm would be pretty simple to swap, just not sure if there would be any additional programming needed.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the advice everyone. Measured the voltage from the positive side on the capacitor and was reading around 100 volts when running. Quit running when testing and haven't been able to find that cause..but would the high voltage reading be a result of a bad capacitor or stator?? Is there anything else that could cause that? Thanks again guys!

100 Vdc?

Wow, I did not expect that.

I think this merits an ECM swap before it fries any electric components.

#16 ·
Last question before it goes to the dealer. Would you guys have any idea what would cause a no start during all this? Got my new capacitor but unable to test it because I can't get it running (shows 35Vdc when pulling). Any fuses to check? Stator checked out okay according to the service manual (25Vac on each winding when pulling). Both grounds looks good, connectors look good. Hoping I didn't ruin the ecm.. Super baffled with this guy, thanks again everyone for the help so far!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.