LiveFree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling of course!
  • Sled:'19 900t Adrenaline

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:49 AM

Anyone use the 509 RAID BOA boots? Looking to upgrade this year...100% WI trail riding temps -30 to +30 F

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Antigo Sno Drifters

#2 Clangtry33

Clangtry33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Sled:2020 Freeride 146

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:52 AM

I have them. Love them. Very comfortable and warm boot for me. Don’t ride trails tho.

#3 bnorth

bnorth

Slednuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1893 posts
  • Sled:'19 Alpha 165

•    

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:58 AM

In person they definitely feel at a lower level than Tobe or Klim but the price reflects that too. Seeing as even with good boots I start to get leaks part way through my 2nd season with them I would consider them and just replace yearly. 

2019 Alpha 800 165

1997 Kitty Cat

Previous:

17 174 SP

14 163X

05 Vertical Composites 1000 162

05 RT1000 162

#4 Bedlam Bikes

Bedlam Bikes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Sled:2021 VR1 129er

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:52 PM

I've had mine for 2 years so I have over 6,000 miles in them. Great boot. Mine were the white/black combo which is the only color that 509 had when it was first introduced. The white gets a little dirty - so you may want to consider the solid black ones if that matters to you.  THey held up really well and I could easily wear them another winter no problem, but I plan on getting new boots this fall because I am pretty fanatical about my snow gear. 

They are comfortable, warm and waterproof. They are actually the DNA of the old Klim Adrenaline boot sans the Goretex which was replaced with 509's 5Tech waterproofing membrane. So claiming they aren't made as well as Klim boots isn't a totally accurate statement. Although the new Klim Adrenaline is an improvement over the last gen Klim Adrenaline, so the Klims are a BIT better.
They both use 600 grams of Thinsulate insulation which is decent insulation, but nothing spectacular. Most companies use Thinsulate because it performs pretty well and its cheap to acquire.

I sell/test gear from a bunch of manufacturers and in my opinion at $299 they are the best dual M3 Boa with stainless cable boot out there.

My second choice at $299 would be the Klim Klutch. They have a little more insulation (800 grams) but they come with only 1 H3 BOA with coated laces. So you can see where the 509 had better dials, better cables, and more adjustability considering there are two dials per boot.

#5 LiveFree

LiveFree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling of course!
  • Sled:'19 900t Adrenaline

Posted Yesterday, 08:51 AM

I've had mine for 2 years so I have over 6,000 miles in them. Great boot. Mine were the white/black combo which is the only color that 509 had when it was first introduced. The white gets a little dirty - so you may want to consider the solid black ones if that matters to you. THey held up really well and I could easily wear them another winter no problem, but I plan on getting new boots this fall because I am pretty fanatical about my snow gear.

They are comfortable, warm and waterproof. They are actually the DNA of the old Klim Adrenaline boot sans the Goretex which was replaced with 509's 5Tech waterproofing membrane. So claiming they aren't made as well as Klim boots isn't a totally accurate statement. Although the new Klim Adrenaline is an improvement over the last gen Klim Adrenaline, so the Klims are a BIT better.
They both use 600 grams of Thinsulate insulation which is decent insulation, but nothing spectacular. Most companies use Thinsulate because it performs pretty well and its cheap to acquire.

I sell/test gear from a bunch of manufacturers and in my opinion at $299 they are the best dual M3 Boa with stainless cable boot out there.

My second choice at $299 would be the Klim Klutch. They have a little more insulation (800 grams) but they come with only 1 H3 BOA with coated laces. So you can see where the 509 had better dials, better cables, and more adjustability considering there are two dials per boot.

Am I better off paying the extra $70 in your opinion and grabbing a pair of Klim Adrenaline GTX Pro BOA?

Granted thats still 600 grams thinsulate.... thanks again for your advice!

Antigo Sno Drifters

#6 6100D

6100D

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 2715 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling,Hunting,Fishing,Beer,My Wife, not in that order though>>>
  • Sled:2020 XRS 900T Unlimited Manta Green

Posted Yesterday, 11:02 AM

Am I better off paying the extra $70 in your opinion and grabbing a pair of Klim Adrenaline GTX Pro BOA?

You might even want to look at Klim Klutch Boots also>>>>>Bought them last year and really like them a bunch>>>>>>So far to date in over 30 years these have been the best boot for me>>>>

" Age is merely the number of years the world has been enjoying you."

"If you haven't grown up by age 60,You don't have to."

#7 SShooterZ

SShooterZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Sled:2017 Arctic Cat ZR8000 Sno Pro

Posted Yesterday, 11:27 AM

I know it doesn't answer your question on the 509s but I also ride a lot of WI and UP trails and went with the Baffins and man are they warm. I just wear a thin Thorlo's sock with them and my feet have never gotten cold and that was over 2000 miles last season alone. They were like $150 and if I had a complaint it was that they were almost too warm at times.

#8 snirthead

snirthead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2894 posts
  • Sled:to many to list..currently 850 Gade x

Posted Yesterday, 11:38 AM

You might even want to look at Klim Klutch Boots also>>>>>Bought them last year and really like them a bunch>>>>>>So far to date in over 30 years these have been the best boot for me>>>>

a few guys in our group had these last year and really like them, they are warmer than the adrenaline's which I use but feet aren't a problem for me

Edited by snirthead, Yesterday, 01:12 PM.

#9 Bedlam Bikes

Bedlam Bikes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Sled:2021 VR1 129er

Posted Yesterday, 02:55 PM

How aggressive do you ride? Do you ride a lot of off trail backcountry jumping around the running boards, etc.... or do you tend to ride over 3000 miles a year on trail? If so, The Klim's offer a better sole which is going to withstand a bit more punishment from your running boards. If you're primarily a cruising trail rider, I wouldn't let this concern you. The soles on the 509's are pretty nice as well, but the Klims are just going to be a tad more durable in the long term. That's really all you're going to get for the extra cost.

With the Klim Adrenaline's you're paying a little more for the name and for Klim's exclusivity rights for the use of Goretex, but I feel the 5tech membrane in the 509 boots is just as good - which is saving you money.

Comes down to personal styling choices after that! You can't go wrong with either one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users