#31 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27488 posts
  • Sled:'19 850X, Outlander 650XT, & Defender XT

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:19 PM

Going in the Moring to look at A Harman stove. If I get it will be the 4th one we've owned, had 2 in the NJ house which heated the whole place an one in the flip house we just sold up here.

Their built like a tank and just run, the only issue i ever had was blown control board after a lighting strike in 18 years of running them.  

Our Quadrafire was (is) like that. Installed in 1992, still running strong today. I hope our new Quad is as good. 

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. 

No Need to Freeze-buy a set of these! http://www.coldguards.com/

#32 OnTheRidge1

OnTheRidge1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Fish, Hunt, Sled, Repeat.
  • Sled:04 Ski Doo MXZ 600 HO SDI

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:37 PM

I’m not trying to criticize but I just did a fuel cost comparison on coalpail.com and it looks like heating with wood pellets is more expensive than natural gas or propane and several time higher than geothermal. Even if your getting pellets for $200 a ton.

If natural gas was an option I would be all over it. If we’re looking at the same comparison table propane is about 1.5x the cost of pellets. And with the cost for a geothermal system it would take years to recoup the savings, however I have been considering trying one of the ductless mini split units for my garage. It’s about 1200sq feet (half size of house) so if that performed well I would definitely consider it. House was all electric baseboard when I bought it, not a fan... Also added a Carolina wood burning fireplace insert years ago that performs very well. Three heating options that range from free to hold onto your wallet.. Not for everyone but it works one way or another.

#33 tcnomad

tcnomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Sled:2014 Gade 900 Ace, 2012 TNT Ace

Posted 17 September 2020 - 04:27 PM

Our Quadrafire was (is) like that. Installed in 1992, still running strong today. I hope our new Quad is as good. 

So I'm back in the Pellet world.... Yea. I'll post up some pic's after i get it installed, about 2 weeks on the order.  

#34 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27488 posts
  • Sled:'19 850X, Outlander 650XT, & Defender XT

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:18 PM

:righton

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. 

No Need to Freeze-buy a set of these! http://www.coldguards.com/

#35 mxzscotty

mxzscotty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts
  • Interests:Proud Union Member
  • Sled:2019 E-TEC 600 R 1969 olympic

Posted Yesterday, 05:10 PM

like most people who live "in the country" nat gas is not available to my house ,and I'm lucky they ran water 4yrs ago !!!!!! lived off well water my whole life and screw that So my house has oil forced air ,switched to a Leisure line Pocono 110,000btu which I pipe into the duct work and BOOM it's sunny and 73 all winter .No up and down with coal trol .But like nat gas isn't an option for me, people in other parts of the country coal isn't an option. To heat my 2,000 sq ft home is pretty consistent at $1,300 ish .Oh ya bottom line  wife like's it so all is well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a great topic !!

Edited by mxzscotty, Yesterday, 05:17 PM.

#36 OnTheRidge1

OnTheRidge1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Fish, Hunt, Sled, Repeat.
  • Sled:04 Ski Doo MXZ 600 HO SDI

Posted Today, 09:49 AM

^^
Agreed, having “city” water for $20-25 a month is a bigger deal to me than figuring out the heat source. But given that it’s not October yet and it’s been in the 40’s every morning for a week or so it’s about time to fire up the stove..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users