YellowSnowman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Farting in crowded rooms
  • Sled:MXZ 8 Fiddy

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:53 PM

YellowSnowman i love my weber kettle, by far the best grill i have ever purchased.

I've had a Genesis for 12 years now.  Flawless and holds a temperature perfectly.  It's pretty hard to burn food unless you really try.

#17 OnTheRidge1

OnTheRidge1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Fish, Hunt, Sled, Repeat.
  • Sled:04 Ski Doo MXZ 600 HO SDI

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:17 AM

Hauled in 4 ton last week. Had nearly a ton left this spring, hopefully most of what I need for the winter? I do not use my furnace much....

Bought at tractor supply in Muskegon, MI for 200 a ton during a pre season sale...

That’s a great price, been paying 240-250 a ton at tractor supply in Ohio the past couple years. Not sure what they’re at right now but I’m guessing they haven’t gone down..

#18 Boylstonrider

Boylstonrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiling, dual sport bike riding,Deer hunting

Previous sleds:2017 gade ace 900 HO 2016 gade ace900, 2014 gade 600 Etec, 2007 IQ 600 CFI, 2006 Fusion 600, 2002 XCSP 800, 1993 Safari 377
  • Sled:2020 ski doo renegade 900 turbo

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:04 AM

We are wood pellet burners. I've been at it since 1997. We have a small house now so two tons of pellets and less than 100 gallons of propane gets us through the Tug Hill winters here in Boylston.
We r heating our shop for the first time this year. I'm hopeful two tons will heat that ...
We paid 239 a ton at Whites

#19 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27481 posts
  • Sled:'19 850X, Outlander 650XT, & Defender XT

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:34 AM

We paid 239 a ton at Whites

Good people - that's who I was referring to in my original post. That's normally where We get them. We hunt with a couple of the younger family members. I asked if they could match HD, they said the $219 was below cost, and they buy a bunch of pellets.

I assume you're burning the Currin pellets too then. Good pellets.

We picked up the last 4 ton from HD last night. We had a good fork truck operator, he got all 4 on my trailer. Those went to my daughter and son-in-laws house.

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. 

No Need to Freeze-buy a set of these! http://www.coldguards.com/

#20 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27481 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:47 AM

Pay about $275 for a ton of coal, and haveno issues getting coal around here, Central Ny area. I know many people who have switched to coal over the last handful of years. Got tired of dealing with a wood stove,so made the switch. The stove itself was $3,000 yes pricey but so worth it.

Lots of BTUs in a ton of coal. Seems like it might be a good choice too.

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. 

#21 Saguenay Bill1

Saguenay Bill1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Sled:2020 Expedition 900 Sport

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:59 AM

I have had a pellet stove for the past 12 years.  I was buying bagged pellets but 3 years ago i built a 3 ton bulk bin because those 40# bags kept getting heavier each year.  This has worked out very well for me.

#22 BARK-A-LOUNGER

BARK-A-LOUNGER

Scuttle Buttin' Solo

• DOOCrew
  • 62548 posts
  • Sled:Malcolm... 2015 MXZ-X 800 e-tec

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:08 AM

We made the switch from wood to pellets about 8yrs ago... thought it would be easier for Lorna to operate when I was at work..... it heats fine but is like having a forced hot air furnace right in the next room (kinda loud) and too loud for my liking..... but the convenience of push button operation, and the cleanliness of pre-bagged fuel is nice....

First couple years it ran a lot (50 - 75 bags) now it's about 25 and a ton last 2yrs... IF I were to do it all over again I would pay attention to decibel rating levels more than how much the hopper holds and how long it can run before it needs a refill..... silence is golden... 

2015 MXZ-X 800 e-tec........

100/290 Primary Spring.... 26/45 Gearing....

120" Ripsaw Track.... 84 Studs.... Gates Belt

Sleds name is Malcolm ......

#23 whirli

whirli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts
  • Sled:TNT6/Gade9

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:28 AM

I’m not trying to criticize but I just did a fuel cost comparison on coalpail.com and it looks like heating with wood pellets is more expensive than natural gas or propane and several time higher than geothermal. Even if your getting pellets for $200 a ton.

it's not even close around where i'm at.  I've never had a month in MN where i paid more than $100/month to heat with natural gas.  the Pellet is in the basement to take the chill out, give it a nice warm atmosphere.  Love pellet as an auxiliary, not sure i'd want it as my primary.  

#24 Skandic Wide Track

Skandic Wide Track

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Sled:1995 skandic wt

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:54 AM

I have a Harmon xxv pellet stove that I absolutely love. We have a large house and it completely heats the main floor and the upstairs. Only thing I use the boiler for bow will be the basement which is kept at 65. I recently bypassed the boiler and added a heat pump hot water heater so I'm really interested to see how long that oil tank stays full! With on demand hot water it was sucking that oil tank dry with the boiler constantly running to keep the water hot.

As for pellets I used to do the home depot and hardware store thing but got really tired of cleaning out my pellet stove and on the really cold days wasn't getting enough btus out of the pellets I like paying 250 ton but quickly learned it is worth paying the extra coin for a top quality pellet. We have a pellet supplier right next door in lisbon falls and he only carrys the good stuff and convinced me to try. My all around favorite for the last 4 years has been Vermont pellet co. They are 315 a ton but crazy hot and I can go for more then a month with out dumping my pan. Less ash equals cleaner operations which I think keeps the pellet stove running better for longer.
One thing on the noise levels is either the distribution fan or the exhaust fan, or both. The bearings dry out and they get real loud but u can buy aftermarket fans for cheap that will make it stove purrrr again. I love my stove and would never go back! Love it being 75 degrees constantly when it gets frosty oitside.

#25 BARK-A-LOUNGER

BARK-A-LOUNGER

Scuttle Buttin' Solo

• DOOCrew
  • 62548 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:21 AM

For me it's the "room fan" or distribution fan that makes the noise.... replaced it last season along with the circuit board and it's no quieter.... it's all good until it comes up to temp and it kicks in......

#26 bullwhipman

bullwhipman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1317 posts
  • Sled:Ski-Doo's and Scorpion's

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:48 AM

I have a Harmon xxv pellet stove that I absolutely love. We have a large house and it completely heats the main floor and the upstairs. Only thing I use the boiler for bow will be the basement which is kept at 65. I recently bypassed the boiler and added a heat pump hot water heater so I'm really interested to see how long that oil tank stays full! With on demand hot water it was sucking that oil tank dry with the boiler constantly running to keep the water hot.

As for pellets I used to do the home depot and hardware store thing but got really tired of cleaning out my pellet stove and on the really cold days wasn't getting enough btus out of the pellets I like paying 250 ton but quickly learned it is worth paying the extra coin for a top quality pellet. We have a pellet supplier right next door in lisbon falls and he only carrys the good stuff and convinced me to try. My all around favorite for the last 4 years has been Vermont pellet co. They are 315 a ton but crazy hot and I can go for more then a month with out dumping my pan. Less ash equals cleaner operations which I think keeps the pellet stove running better for longer.
One thing on the noise levels is either the distribution fan or the exhaust fan, or both. The bearings dry out and they get real loud but u can buy aftermarket fans for cheap that will make it stove purrrr again. I love my stove and would never go back! Love it being 75 degrees constantly when it gets frosty oitside.

A heat pump water heater air conditions your house. Ok in summer. Very bad in winter.

#27 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27481 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:20 AM

We made the switch from wood to pellets about 8yrs ago... thought it would be easier for Lorna to operate when I was at work..... it heats fine but is like having a forced hot air furnace right in the next room (kinda loud) and too loud for my liking..... but the convenience of push button operation, and the cleanliness of pre-bagged fuel is nice....

First couple years it ran a lot (50 - 75 bags) now it's about 25 and a ton last 2yrs... IF I were to do it all over again I would pay attention to decibel rating levels more than how much the hopper holds and how long it can run before it needs a refill..... silence is golden... 

The **ONLY** reason we just replaced our stove was because the old one was so loud. Not a loss though, as the old stove is going downstairs in a room we're currently working on converting from storage to a useful room. 

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

#28 BARK-A-LOUNGER

BARK-A-LOUNGER

Scuttle Buttin' Solo

• DOOCrew
  • 62548 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:26 AM

The **ONLY** reason we just replaced our stove was because the old one was so loud. Not a loss though, as the old stove is going downstairs in a room we're currently working on converting from storage to a useful room. 

Ya we won't replace ours although when the circuit board failed I sure thought about it as the price for that was almost as much as I paid for the stove...... that and it took 10 men an a small boy to lug the beast up the stairs to where it is now....

#29 tcnomad

tcnomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Sled:2014 Gade 900 Ace, 2012 TNT Ace

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:09 PM

Going in the Moring to look at A Harman stove. If I get it will be the 4th one we've owned, had 2 in the NJ house which heated the whole place an one in the flip house we just sold up here.

Their built like a tank and just run, the only issue i ever had was blown control board after a lighting strike in 18 years of running them.  

Edited by tcnomad, 16 September 2020 - 12:09 PM.

#30 6100D

6100D

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 2715 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling,Hunting,Fishing,Beer,My Wife, not in that order though>>>
  • Sled:2020 XRS 900T Unlimited Manta Green

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:12 PM

I dont burn pellets but seen this ad from our farm and fleet stores here in Wisconsin. 194.50 for a ton if I figured right.0916201253.jpg

" Age is merely the number of years the world has been enjoying you."

"If you haven't grown up by age 60,You don't have to."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users