#1 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27488 posts
  • Sled:'19 850X, Outlander 650XT, & Defender XT

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:48 AM

We've run a pellet stove since 1992, a Quadrafire original. This year we picked up a gently used Quadrafire 1200 - **MUCH** quieter than the old one. The old one never skipped a beat but it sure was loud. 

Last night I finished up the pile for this year. With my torn up shoulder this wasn't a lot of fun but I'll live. We burn pellets on the cool days, oil through the boiler when it gets cold. Like everything else wood pellets have gone up a bunch. Fortunately our local Home Depot hasn't caught up yet. We did a group buy of 10 ton, $219/ton. 

A guy we hunt with has a hardware store, he says that's below current cost. :shrug

5YRyt9R.jpg

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. 

No Need to Freeze-buy a set of these! http://www.coldguards.com/

#2 6100D

6100D

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 2722 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling,Hunting,Fishing,Beer,My Wife, not in that order though>>>
  • Sled:2020 XRS 900T Unlimited Manta Green

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

We've run a pellet stove since 1992, a Quadrafire original. This year we picked up a gently used Quadrafire 1200 - **MUCH** quieter than the old one. The old one never skipped a beat but it sure was loud. 

Last night I finished up the pile for this year. With my torn up shoulder this wasn't a lot of fun but I'll live. We burn pellets on the cool days, oil through the boiler when it gets cold. Like everything else wood pellets have gone up a bunch. Fortunately our local Home Depot hasn't caught up yet. We did a group buy of 10 ton, $219/ton. 

A guy we hunt with has a hardware store, he says that's below current cost. :shrug

5YRyt9R.jpg

I had a hard time seeing the pellets but could see the plastic glass on the desk top>>>>>>>>LOL :lol:  :lol:  :righton  :righton

" Age is merely the number of years the world has been enjoying you."

"If you haven't grown up by age 60,You don't have to."

#3 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27488 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:51 AM

Thats not plastic - thats a frosty glass from the kegarator. I had to have a few after all my hard work. 

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. 

#4 whirli

whirli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts
  • Sled:TNT6/Gade9

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:13 AM

fired mine up last week!!! lows in the 30's, and highs around 45 or so.  

#5 SHARPMACHINE

SHARPMACHINE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Interests:SNOWMOBILING, BIKES, JEEPS, TRUCKS ETC. (IF IT DON'T HAVE A MOTOR, I DON'T LIKE IT.)
  • Sled:2016 MXZX1200

•    

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:51 PM

Hauled in 4 ton last week. Had nearly a ton left this spring, hopefully most of what I need for the winter? I do not use my furnace much....

Bought at tractor supply in Muskegon, MI for 200 a ton during a pre season sale...

2016 MXZX 1200 129."
2001 CCSB CHEVY DURAMAX 4X4 From Texas with PPEI tuning
19?? JEEP T/Y/CJ 5.3 LSx ON COILS AND LONG ARMS (ALWAYS UNDER CONSTRUCTION)

2002 YAMAHA GRIZZLY 660 4X4 L/C
2002 YAMAHA KODIAC 400 4X4 L/C
----------------------------------------------------------------

#6 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27488 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:50 PM

$200/ton is good. The prices here are going nuts right now. Our local Lowes is at $275/ton. 

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

#7 mikmaze

mikmaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2385 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, quads, diesel performance, sledding, Bourbon!
    sold:2003 mxz800
  • Sled:2009 MXZ 800R ADRENALIN

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:15 PM

Perfect... I am thinking of switching from wood stove to pellets........ got around a 1000 sq ft house between binhamton and syracuse.   plan is to use it as primary heat, we have e baseboards but don't like to spin the meter, rather feed the pellet stove.    for quick heat up upon arival to an ice cold house it is the turbo jet propane jobber.    You think it might work for me??? main goal is something thermostatically controled, and something that will run while I am not feedeing it.   Sux ash to have to sleep with one eye open every winter trip.   tips or tricks would be great.

any of ya think of group buying a pellet mill? pto off the tractor, sawdust from the mill and wham, pellets.

Edited by mikmaze, 15 September 2020 - 03:16 PM.

#8 insaneditchbanger

insaneditchbanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Sled:2019 MXZ-XRS 850R E-TEC

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:29 PM

2 ton is sufficient to heat my 1200 sq ft ranch each year. Never have turned on the electric baseboard heat since I bought the place in 2005. Was buying dry creek pellets at $240/ton. Switched over to barefoot pellets at $250/ton. They seem to burn way better than dry creek.

Catch me if you can!

Past Rides:                                                                  Wife's Past Rides
02 mxz 700 adrenaline olympic edition                  10 mxz tnt 600
04 mxz-x 800ho XPSII                                                 17 mxz tnt 600ho etec
09 mxz-x 800R
10 mxz-xrs 800R                                                          Wife's Current Ride
11 mxz-xrs 800R e-tec                                                 19 mxz-x 600R

14 mxz-x 800R e-tec

15 mxz-xrs 800R e-tec

18 mxz-xrs 850 e-tec

#9 bullwhipman

bullwhipman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1319 posts
  • Sled:Ski-Doo's and Scorpion's

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:41 PM

I’m not trying to criticize but I just did a fuel cost comparison on coalpail.com and it looks like heating with wood pellets is more expensive than natural gas or propane and several time higher than geothermal. Even if your getting pellets for $200 a ton.

#10 RevRacer800

RevRacer800

Summer Sucks.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4012 posts
  • Sled:2019 Skidoo 850 TNT

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:46 PM

Switched over 2 years ago to a coal stove after burning wood for years. Love to coal stove. It's a leisure line pioneer stove. The hopper holds 110lbs of coal, throw a bag of coal in every morning and it's good to go. Have 4 ton of coal ordered that will be here soon. The stove was pricey but well worth it.

#11 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27488 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:58 PM

I’m not trying to criticize but I just did a fuel cost comparison on coalpail.com and it looks like heating with wood pellets is more expensive than natural gas or propane and several time higher than geothermal. Even if your getting pellets for $200 a ton.

Funny you mention that...

We buy some pellets every year, and fuel oil every year. We filled all 3 oil tanks up early this Spring when everyone was Covid Crazy @ $1.79/gallon. Just this morning I ran the numbers - for us, this year, it's a 100% wash between oil and pellets as to which cost more or less to burn. 

The benefit of the stove is for mornings like today - send the stove through 1 or 2 cycles and it's good for the day. The stove is off before the baseboards would start getting warm. We live in NNY, there is a reason we have more than 1 heat source.

Having said that, from 1992 to 1997 pellets were are primary heat source, with electric baseboard as the secondary. When the addition went on in 1997 a boiler went in. When we built the garage in 2001 an oil boiler went in that too and has worked well. It's insulated well too so it's pretty cheap to heat.

If we had natural gas available I'm pretty sure thats all we'd use, but we don't. I'm also not a big fan of a submarine tank in the yard holding enough propane either. 

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

#12 bullwhipman

bullwhipman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1319 posts
  • Sled:Ski-Doo's and Scorpion's

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:53 PM

Switched over 2 years ago to a coal stove after burning wood for years. Love to coal stove. It's a leisure line pioneer stove. The hopper holds 110lbs of coal, throw a bag of coal in every morning and it's good to go. Have 4 ton of coal ordered that will be here soon. The stove was pricey but well worth it.

How much do you pay for coal? Is it readily available? I haven’t heard of people burning coal for heat in many years.

#13 YellowSnowman

YellowSnowman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Farting in crowded rooms
  • Sled:MXZ 8 Fiddy

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:54 PM

Could it be the demand it greater since everyone is buying pellet smokers right now to make their ribs?  Everyone I know bought one or is looking at buying.  All I have to say is, don't give up your Webber.

#14 RevRacer800

RevRacer800

Summer Sucks.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:22 PM

How much do you pay for coal? Is it readily available? I haven’t heard of people burning coal for heat in many years.

Pay about $275 for a ton of coal, and haveno issues getting coal around here, Central Ny area. I know many people who have switched to coal over the last handful of years. Got tired of dealing with a wood stove,so made the switch. The stove itself was $3,000 yes pricey but so worth it.

#15 RevRacer800

RevRacer800

Summer Sucks.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:23 PM

YellowSnowman i love my weber kettle, by far the best grill i have ever purchased.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users