Need advice - 120 extension setup - REV-XP / XS Chassis - Performance Trail 120-129 Inch Models - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Need advice - 120 extension setup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 matejkav

matejkav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Sled:Ski-Doo 2016 Expedition Sport 600 ACE

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:40 PM

Last year I got a XP 500ss gsx for a bargain. After a few rides I'm ready to extend the track. I want to know what people have done and have a few questions. I want to keep it cheap, if possible.

I could live with 136, but 146 would be ideal for me. I could do a skid swap, but that's expensive and nobody wants 120 skids in my parts. I'd also have mount relocating to worry about I think.

What about rails? People talk about dropping in rails. Do you just swap rails and mount existing skid hardware to that? That sounds way better than extensions to me.

I'm in Canada and can't find a good deal for those tough looking extensions from Tracks USA. I will not do axle-mount extensions as I plan to give this sled a hard life.

Also is a cooler change necessary? It's an 08 XP. people talk about cooler extensions, but not sure how this would work. Would I have to drop in a 146 cooler or can I get by with scratchers? I plan on a 1.75-2 track, if this helps answer the question.

I have lots of things swirling in my head. I need to narrow in a bit, so help would be appreciated. A rail swap would be sweet if I can do it.

Other than that the rest is figured out...leave the 4" riser and add a 2" taper bar, leave 42" front end, but swap to ds2 Skis. maybe take out coupling blocks. Should be a fun crossover.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

#2 treedoctor

treedoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Sled:2008 550f 2011 TNT 600 carb

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:15 PM

I extended my '07 500ss from 120 to 136 and it overheated constantly.

#3 sledneck96

sledneck96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Sled:2012 MXZ TNT 600 ACE

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:14 AM

I extended my XP from 120 to 146 this summer.  I chose Ice Age rails instead of extensions because they were supposed to be a direct swap and they are much stronger than running the TracksUSA extensions.  However, the rails aren't exactly just bolt on and go. They are based on Polaris rail profiles and almost every bolt hole in the rails is a larger diameter than the same ones on the SC5.  

If I had to do it again I'd save some money and go with the TracksUSA extensions but add some reinforcements to the SC5 rails to prevent them from bending right in front of the coupling stops.  There are a few older posts on dootalk about this issue.

I used a TracksUSA tunnel extension and added a 146 tunnel heat exchanger.  In my past experience, in anything but ideal powder you'll overheat without going with a longer cooler.  I've read posts about going 120-129 and having cooling problems, that's only 4.5 inches of extra tunnel.  It's a lot of work but well worth it.

From my research the 120 tunnel seemed too short to add a complete 146 skid due to the rear mounting location.  I'm sure it's been done using aftermarket drop brackets, but I didn't think the dimensions would work in my situation.

By the time you do all this work, especially removing and installing the coolers and cutting out the tunnel extension, you're not far off the hours it would take to do a complete swap to a 146 tunnel that already has the long cooler, proper skid, and track.   I've seen quite a few summits being parted out on Kijiji in Manitoba.

Regardless of your decision its a fun project.

#4 mile9c1

mile9c1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2567 posts
  • Sled:SB 800

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:58 PM

Why extend it? Are you trying to do more off-trail riding? I would stick a large lug track on it before extending anything. The 1.75" snowcross track reportedly works well off-trail.

#5 matejkav

matejkav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:37 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm going to try my best to hold out for a 137 skid or a used tracks USA extension. I can get SLPs close by, but I'd want to brace them up if I were to trust them.

I'm going to try my luck with cooling I think. I read varied reports on cooling issues, so I think a lot of it has to do with setup and snow. We get good snow every year and cooling isn't an issue until spring when snow gets packed and icy. I'll be using scratchers and throwing on an XS tailflap I have kicking around as I hear they deflect snow better.

If I suddenly ran across a cheap blown 146 summit I'd be tempted to transplant the 500ss. Projects are always about opportunity and how long my patience holds. I'm not sure stretching to 146 will be economical if I should be doing the heat exchanger too, but who knows what I'll find.

Regarding just slapping a tall lug track on the 120 that's a hard no for me. I ride a 154 as my normal (expy sport). I ride with guys on 120s and it looks fun, but the technique is different. 137 is a more comfy ride too, anyway. No...I picked up this 500ss because it was cheap and would make a fun lightweight longer track machine. Track length will be determined in part by what I find on the market and what's available in my budget when I finally lose patience and want to ride it lol. You won't see a shorty for long in my yard, just not my style.

#6 revegade84

revegade84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3198 posts
  • Sled:'17 Summit 850 SP 154

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:31 AM

A 137 skid will require moving the rear suspension mounts FYI. I've done it on revs and wasn't the worst, but it's one more thing.

120-127 extensions would be the cheapest route if you are looking for that.

Edited by revegade84, 17 September 2020 - 10:32 AM.

#7 matejkav

matejkav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:39 PM

A 137 skid will require moving the rear suspension mounts FYI. I've done it on revs and wasn't the worst, but it's one more thing.
120-127 extensions would be the cheapest route if you are looking for that.

Definitely. I don't mind the work because I feel the benefits of a full skid are worth it, but yeah definitely not the cheapest thing I could do.

I think the biggest factor for me is cooling. It seems people have a variety of experiences regarding stretching to 137 and not extending the cooler. 140 something is a definite yes for a bigger cooler. Dropping in a cooler certainly raises the price. Makes me want to hold out for a blown 146 summit and transplant the motor

#8 mxzwild

mxzwild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2120 posts
  • Sled:ski-doo 2009 GTX 500ss, 2005 gtx 500ss

•    

Posted 17 September 2020 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm going to try my best to hold out for a 137 skid or a used tracks USA extension. I can get SLPs close by, but I'd want to brace them up if I were to trust them.

I'm going to try my luck with cooling I think. I read varied reports on cooling issues, so I think a lot of it has to do with setup and snow. We get good snow every year and cooling isn't an issue until spring when snow gets packed and icy. I'll be using scratchers and throwing on an XS tailflap I have kicking around as I hear they deflect snow better.

If I suddenly ran across a cheap blown 146 summit I'd be tempted to transplant the 500ss. Projects are always about opportunity and how long my patience holds. I'm not sure stretching to 146 will be economical if I should be doing the heat exchanger too, but who knows what I'll find.

Regarding just slapping a tall lug track on the 120 that's a hard no for me. I ride a 154 as my normal (expy sport). I ride with guys on 120s and it looks fun, but the technique is different. 137 is a more comfy ride too, anyway. No...I picked up this 500ss because it was cheap and would make a fun lightweight longer track machine. Track length will be determined in part by what I find on the market and what's available in my budget when I finally lose patience and want to ride it lol. You won't see a shorty for long in my yard, just not my style.

That 146 summit suspension is pretty much the same as what the G4 backcountry uses.  If it has the rear pivot arm setup you can swap it for a non pivot one.  Get some good shocks and use the trail sled front end, shorter lug track and that would be a fun ride

#9 matejkav

matejkav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

That 146 summit suspension is pretty much the same as what the G4 backcountry uses. If it has the rear pivot arm setup you can swap it for a non pivot one. Get some good shocks and use the trail sled front end, shorter lug track and that would be a fun ride

Agreed. I think this would be ideal. I rode a wide sled with ds2 Skis last year and it wasn't that bad to carve. Higher center of gravity when you do, but not as bad as I thought. Rock solid on the trail, of course. It's a good tradeoff, I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users