Will handguards work with Mirrors - REV-XP / XS Chassis - Renegades / Freeride / Backcountry - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Will handguards work with Mirrors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Weicks

Weicks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Sled:2015 Skidoo 800 Renegade

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:18 AM

Hello everyone!  I have a 2015 Renegade with a medium windshield and it came with the side deflector kit and mirrors attached.  I thought about removing them but actually come in handy...  Does anyone know if handguards will work with this setup or do the mirrors get in the way?  Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!!

#2 Buckeyesledder68

Buckeyesledder68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Powersports, outdoor, Camping with friends and family
  • Sled:15' Rene XRS, 16' Rene Carb, 06' Rage

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:59 AM

Depends on riser and bar position. I can make mine clear, but I have an adjustable riser. Gauntlet’s require me to pull it back even further.

My experience with the stock hand guards was that They didn’t offer much increased protection/comfort. The handguard extensions were only slightly better.

I have poor circ in my hands and feet. They get cold unless I’m moving around.

If you’re asking because you want a warmer ride, I’d put my $$ in gauntlets. They’re about the same price, and they do work. I’d don’t love gauntlets, but they are warm, and once we’re sub zero my hands (outboard 2 fingers) get cold. With gauntlets I’m good down to about -20F if I’m careful. Beyond that it isn’t my hands that are the issue once we’re rolling anyway.

Did have a rider miss a turn this year which I attribute to gauntlets. Tried to get her hand back in and grab the brake and missed it. Wouldn’t have been an issue w/o gauntlets, but she probably wouldn’t have been on the trail due to the -15F either. Yes, probably too much speed, yes probably could have made the turn if she wasn’t preoccupied with trying to get her fingers on the brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Weicks

Weicks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the reply!  My bars are stock currently - just found on the really cold day it kinda sucked a bit and my older sled (09) had the handguards and I found it helped on that machine.  When you say guantlets are you referring to the handlebar muffs!?  My circ is not great in my hands either so i feel your pain!

#4 Buckeyesledder68

Buckeyesledder68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Powersports, outdoor, Camping with friends and family
  • Sled:15' Rene XRS, 16' Rene Carb, 06' Rage

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:57 PM

Yes, the brp muffs. I think we paid something like 60. I’ve have several different aftermarket muffs. I find the Doo muffs, while still not perfect, fit better than my others.

Let it snow!!

#5 Weicks

Weicks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:20 AM

I know they would work for sure, I am 45 though and was really trying to hold on before falling off the other side of the hill and still wanted to try and look good! hahaha  Thank you for the feedback - appreciate it!

#6 kruuuzn

kruuuzn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Sled:'15/16 X-Gade's, '17 Blizzard, '17 TNT

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:09 PM

The handguards may touch toward the top of the windshield while turning depending on handlebar adjustment like stated above, however, they don’t interfere with the side mirrors. We went with the mirrors mounted on the handguards in lieu of the w/shield mounted ones.

#7 Weicks

Weicks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the reply, appreciate the feedback!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users