24 replies to this topic

#16 kolt45

kolt45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Sled:1997 Skandic

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:30 PM

Did that sled have a choke, or a primer? My 500 Touring, esentially the same sled, had the primer. It was a good starter indeed, no matter what the temperature was, as long as I didn't give it too many pumps, in which case it was a real beast to get going. 

It has both choke AND primer...kind of strange...

#17 TheBearAk

TheBearAk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4652 posts
  • Sled:2015 Skidoo Renegade BC 600 etec

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:44 PM

Probably added on by the dealer.   A lot of skidoo people didn't know how to use the choke/enricher  :lol:

I know up here a lot of people wanted the primer on there.   Usually meant less pulling.   With choke and primer, you could prime it the standard 3 pumps and then once it fired up, keep it running with the choke.  Ideally,  just putting it half choke and letting it warm up.

I prefer primer.   If you let the machine sit for a while, the fuel in the carbs evaporate and it can take a lot of pulls to get the fuel back flowing into the carb.

#18 suv1

suv1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6006 posts
  • Interests:Updated sled list!!!!
    2010 V800SWT
    2013 600aceSWT
    2014 600ACEWT
    2014 600aceSWT
    2016 900aceSWT
    2017 900aceSWT
    coming soon..
    2020 900aceLE
  • Sled:"16/900SWT/V800SWT600skandic600 ACEWT

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:36 PM

Agreed on a primer, it's a fail safe system. no second guessing whether if gas is in the intake or not, best primers are the yamaha type....bravos, the cheaper kimpex type don't always work and fail often, also a scattered few suck a bit of gas through the primer while the engine is running if they are tied in after where the gas exits the fuel pump, first add on my old then new 550 /600 2stroke skandics were a primer, i wouldn't leave home without one installed

Updated sled list!!!!   ////2010 V800SWT

////2013 600ACESWT

////2014 600ACEWT

////2016 900ACESWT

#19 kolt45

kolt45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:51 AM

So is it advisable to start using 3 pumps of primer without choke? Or use choke?

#20 LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7563 posts
  • Sled:Everything

Posted Yesterday, 08:23 AM

So is it advisable to start using 3 pumps of primer without choke? Or use choke?

My advice:

When cold (say, after an overnight or extended off period) I’d go with the three pumps and choke. Once it starts, flick the choke quickly as it starts to die. I usually have one hand on choke, one hand on throttle so I can react fast to either.

Middle of the day, sitting for one hour maybe two? Use the choke. The primer is a big “feel” thing and you can flood your sled easily until you have it well figured out. At least with the choke on those “maybe” times, you can’t really flood your sled before it starts once.

For true cold starts, nothing beats the primer.

#21 kolt45

kolt45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:01 AM

You guys rock! Really appreciate all your wisdom. I will start it a couple of times/week to keep it lubed up before the season starts.

This AM I topped off oil with the doo XPS oil. I went 10 pulls using choke before it fired fully. I kept feathering throttle until she sounded smooth then walked away. After about 2 mins, she bogged down and died. Took me another 10 to get it fired up using throttle and choke. After that I played with throttle for 2 minutes and she stayed running strong for ~10 mins before I hit the kill switch. 

I wonder if thats indicative of bad gas, dirty carb, or just taking a bit to warm up? Next time will try an initial start using the primer to see if that makes a difference...

Edited by kolt45, Yesterday, 09:03 AM.

#22 kolt45

kolt45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:02 AM

Make sure the choke is adjusted properly too.  I've seen people adjust them down so they barely open.

How can I ensure the choke is properly adjusted? Same question for the carbs...

#23 suv1

suv1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6006 posts
  • Interests:Updated sled list!!!!
    2010 V800SWT
    2013 600aceSWT
    2014 600ACEWT
    2014 600aceSWT
    2016 900aceSWT
    2017 900aceSWT
    coming soon..
    2020 900aceLE
  • Sled:"16/900SWT/V800SWT600skandic600 ACEWT

Posted Yesterday, 05:09 PM

How can I ensure the choke is properly adjusted? Same question for the carbs...

The choke lever should have a little slack, if you feel a restriction right from when you try to lift the lever it's probably to tight , same for the throttle  

Updated sled list!!!!   ////2010 V800SWT

////2013 600ACESWT

////2014 600ACEWT

////2016 900ACESWT

#24 TheBearAk

TheBearAk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4652 posts
  • Sled:2015 Skidoo Renegade BC 600 etec

Posted Today, 05:14 AM

I usually pull the choke line off the carb (there is a screw in cap).   I like to have the choke, when off, just hit the bottom before the threads start.

I've only had one machine that had both choke and primer and when i cold started it at temps above 0F, I would just use the 3 primes and pull until it fired.  Colder temps use the choke as well.    After the sled has ran, even 30-60 minutes turned off, just pull with a little throttle.  If it doesn't start in 2-3 pulls, then choke.

#25 18000HP

18000HP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1284 posts
  • Interests:Cutting wood , breaking trails and fixing stuff
  • Sled:2010 V800 SWT 2011 Renegade X 800

Posted Today, 09:17 AM

You guys rock! Really appreciate all your wisdom. I will start it a couple of times/week to keep it lubed up before the season starts.

This AM I topped off oil with the doo XPS oil. I went 10 pulls using choke before it fired fully. I kept feathering throttle until she sounded smooth then walked away. After about 2 mins, she bogged down and died. Took me another 10 to get it fired up using throttle and choke. After that I played with throttle for 2 minutes and she stayed running strong for ~10 mins before I hit the kill switch. 

I wonder if thats indicative of bad gas, dirty carb, or just taking a bit to warm up? Next time will try an initial start using the primer to see if that makes a difference...

If the sled has been sitting around for more than a year, i would definitely clean the carbs and change the gas.

Winter is the COOOLEST Season :Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users