#1 Moosestache

Moosestache

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Sled:2021 Expedition SE

Posted 06 September 2020 - 02:04 PM

Just curious what tunes people are using, and what their thoughts on them are. Warranty issues, cost, gains, problems etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Pit Grunt

Pit Grunt

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8316 posts
  • Interests:ADMIN
  • Sled:2020 900 ACE Renegade DOOTALK sled

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:36 PM

Do a search, There are many threads.

WE RIDE !!!

#3 SKIDOOCHRIS

SKIDOOCHRIS

boost junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9467 posts
  • Sled:skidoo!

Posted 06 September 2020 - 06:14 PM

warranty and most tuning do not go together
extra rpms or boost is a warranty killer

09 1200, renegade ,precision 5128, powderlites header/IC/ intake, Motec, Tapp, ID1000,  DD floating qrs
16 1200, renegade red/white edrive-3g, pilot ts and quick adjust 

14 900 ace renegade for daughter 

#4 bar549

bar549

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5514 posts
  • Interests:#1 - Wife & Daughters, WKA Kart Racing, Nascar, Drag Racing, Slot Cars, Machining
  • Sled:2016 Blizzard 900 ACE

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:41 AM

Many great tuners offering Tunes, do a search. Top left corner of page (Google Custom Search) insert 900T tunes, days of reading. Who ever you use, ask them for clutch set up recommendations for best results. You are going to read a lot of BS, weed it out.

Bob

My Build: "2016 Blizzard 900 ACE Build & Tune" N.A. - Dyno @ 111 H.P. Click Link for Details <p>https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1435138-2016-blizzard-900-ace-build-tune/

:thebee: My Clutch Videos: For the beginner and the seasoned veteran, these are a must see!  

#1- E-Drive 2 Primary Disassembly  https://youtu.be/NVEv_owtvkI  #2 - E-Drive 2 Primary Reassemble  https://youtu.be/QRVFdoTPORo  #2.5 - Review  https://youtu.be/olr7Dt8BVA8

#3 - QRS Disassemble  https://youtu.be/AOR4eaXkt_s  #4 - QRS Reassemble  https://youtu.be/g-Ik1e_hK6k  #5 - Wrap up and Setting Secondary Tension  https://youtu.be/ajM23xea_Rs

#5 A7M266D

A7M266D

Ski-Doo Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13277 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiles, motorsports, motocross, wake surfing, aviation.
  • Sled:BCXRS

•    

Posted 07 September 2020 - 12:07 PM

I took a little time this morning to sift through some of the offerings from the tuners available for comparison take.

TD tunes require the GAP flasher,
The flashers is roughly 500 usd plus a tune which is another $375 for a tune.

Total - $875 just to tune it.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hurricane tunes require the GAP flasher
The Flasher is $500 usd plus the price of a tune which is another $485

Total - $985 just to tune it

Hurricane also offers an injector tune Flasher - $500, tune $485, injectors $350
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Whalen speed

PV3 system with free data logging - GAP flashers listed above require additional funds to allow data logging - $399

Whalen speed tune WITH PV3 system - $599

Whalen speed tune with Pv3 system AND 1050cc injectors - $1154
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Precision EFI

Stage 1 - 180 hp flash - $455 usd

Stage 2 - 215 hp - Flash, downpipe, fuel system, wastegate - $1900 usd
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Boost engineering -

Stage 1 and 2 flashes available - Someone can chime in and I will edit my post but believe it is $500 cad to flash or $380 usd plus the cost of shipping the ECU.
No flasher available from Boost engineering.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ALL of the above require clutching and should have gearing to take advantage of the power.

ZRP - Clutch weights
Hot rod sled shop - weights
Dalton weights
and BRP clickers with goodwin weights all do a great job on this engine. Pick your flavor and go.

Although I didn't get to test them except in y 850 I believe the heel clicker weights would be awesome in the 900 turbo.

Fastest ET / MPH in my own data logging was with a 38 tooth bottom gear and stock top gear.

Additional information regarding the above is that the PV3 can tune multiple sleds but the license fee kind of makes it pointless seeing as for an extra $100 you get the full unit to do what you want with.  The PV3 also comes WITH a 180 hp tune from dynojet for $399 with unlimited logging on it.  The GAP flashers only offer this for an additional fee.  You can however have a friend with a gap flasher flash your sled as long as the tuning company matches the gap flasher.  Example Hurricane tunes require Hurricane gap flasher.

In addition to all this if you are one to tinker you can buy a Pv3 and modify your factory tune to suit your needs.  This would come with a strong recommendation to have a tuning understanding and wideband data logging as well.  

If you are to choose any of the other platforms you would have to use the tunes which are provided by the specific tuner with limited customization.  

Hope this helps and it should cover just about every option currently available.  

Edited by A7M266D, 07 September 2020 - 12:26 PM.

Please like and share my Youtube channel for more content.

https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#6 Maine pilot

Maine pilot

Maine Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • Interests:On the snow,in the air and on the water.
  • Sled:2019 900 T Renegade X Red

Posted 07 September 2020 - 02:56 PM

Additional information regarding the above is that the PV3 can tune multiple sleds but the license fee kind of makes it pointless seeing as for an extra $100 you get the full unit to do what you want with.  The PV3 also comes WITH a 180 hp tune from dynojet for $399 with unlimited logging on it.  The GAP flashers only offer this for an additional fee.  You can however have a friend with a gap flasher flash your sled as long as the tuning company matches the gap flasher.  Example Hurricane tunes require Hurricane gap flasher.

In addition to all this if you are one to tinker you can buy a Pv3 and modify your factory tune to suit your needs.  This would come with a strong recommendation to have a tuning understanding and wideband data logging as well.  

If you are to choose any of the other platforms you would have to use the tunes which are provided by the specific tuner with limited customization.  

Hope this helps and it should cover just about every option currently available.              Thank you  

#7 Moosestache

Moosestache

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Sled:2021 Expedition SE

Posted 07 September 2020 - 03:12 PM

So, if I read that all correctly.  If I go with the whalen system for $599 I get their flashes along with the tool to flash it back to stock, or reflash with a new update if one comes along.  Comparing to the hurricane, which is $485, but I send it to them to flash.  Then if they come out with a new update or if I want to go back to stock, I have to send it back to the hurricane dealer again to reflash.  But Hurricane has 175-190-205 tunes, and it looks like whalens are less than that.  Does that mean that the whalen tunes aren't as fast or is it not quite that simple.  It also looks like I have to do some clutch work regardless of which tune I go with. 

#8 krm

krm

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 16834 posts
  • Interests:building/racing sleds krm 432 driver graham coombs ,brandon colgin ,brett burns #217 moto cross ,Pro stk dirt cars ,Ken Martin Driver
  • Sled:,19 900t 20,850xrs 21 850x21900t x

Posted 07 September 2020 - 03:26 PM

So, if I read that all correctly.  If I go with the whalen system for $599 I get their flashes along with the tool to flash it back to stock, or reflash with a new update if one comes along.  Comparing to the hurricane, which is $485, but I send it to them to flash.  Then if they come out with a new update or if I want to go back to stock, I have to send it back to the hurricane dealer again to reflash.  But Hurricane has 175-190-205 tunes, and it looks like whalens are less than that.  Does that mean that the whalen tunes aren't as fast or is it not quite that simple.  It also looks like I have to do some clutch work regardless of which tune I go with. 

Your in Southern ME,Just call Chris at C&T ,Get a flash ,clutching ,and info ,and be done .He"ll work with you .

#9 DOOREV800

DOOREV800

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast on Sleds,Quads and Cars.
  • Sled:2016 MXZ Renegade with MOTEC M1

Posted 07 September 2020 - 04:35 PM

So, if I read that all correctly. If I go with the whalen system for $599 I get their flashes along with the tool to flash it back to stock, or reflash with a new update if one comes along. Comparing to the hurricane, which is $485, but I send it to them to flash. Then if they come out with a new update or if I want to go back to stock, I have to send it back to the hurricane dealer again to reflash. But Hurricane has 175-190-205 tunes, and it looks like whalens are less than that. Does that mean that the whalen tunes aren't as fast or is it not quite that simple. It also looks like I have to do some clutch work regardless of which tune I go with.

180-185 is the most HP you can go with stock injectors. Read whalens write up about it. Whalens tunes come from maverick x3 background he has since 2016ish so his tunes are tested and true. Eveyone who has his tune seems to like the throttle feel. Hp is a guaranteed 180 or 185 depending on how u set your wastegate. Its all how you set up clutching and gearing. Best bang for the buck is whalen. Period.

Edited by DOOREV800, 07 September 2020 - 04:41 PM.

2016 MXZx XS 1200 Motec M1 Homebuilt
2010 Mxzx XR 1200 (Homebuilt EFR Turbo @ 8 PSI)
2008 Mxzx 800r
2003 Mxzx Rev 800
2001 Mxzx 800
1998 Formula 3 700
1997 Mxz 670
1995 Mach 1 670
1992 Mx 470
1978 Blizzard 6500Plus
1974 Sno-Jet SST 340

#10 bar549

bar549

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5514 posts
  • Interests:#1 - Wife & Daughters, WKA Kart Racing, Nascar, Drag Racing, Slot Cars, Machining
  • Sled:2016 Blizzard 900 ACE

Posted 07 September 2020 - 04:37 PM

Being close to Chris would be an excellent choice, his customer service is excellent!

Bob

My Build: "2016 Blizzard 900 ACE Build & Tune" N.A. - Dyno @ 111 H.P. Click Link for Details <p>https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1435138-2016-blizzard-900-ace-build-tune/

:thebee: My Clutch Videos: For the beginner and the seasoned veteran, these are a must see!  

#1- E-Drive 2 Primary Disassembly  https://youtu.be/NVEv_owtvkI  #2 - E-Drive 2 Primary Reassemble  https://youtu.be/QRVFdoTPORo  #2.5 - Review  https://youtu.be/olr7Dt8BVA8

#3 - QRS Disassemble  https://youtu.be/AOR4eaXkt_s  #4 - QRS Reassemble  https://youtu.be/g-Ik1e_hK6k  #5 - Wrap up and Setting Secondary Tension  https://youtu.be/ajM23xea_Rs

#11 vtxrenegade

vtxrenegade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Sled:2015 900 ace

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:18 AM

I have the pv3 and Whalen 180 and 185 tunes. As well as the weights he sells. Real happy with the power and throttle. Data logging found some issues with my sled. Main issue was throttle flipper only giving me 87 percent. Correcting that gave me 100 percent. Low boost was also found and I had to increase Crack pressure. Never would have found these issues without the data logging.

#12 Xrsphil

Xrsphil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Sled:2016 xrs 800

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:56 AM

I have the pv3 and Whalen 180 and 185 tunes. As well as the weights he sells. Real happy with the power and throttle. Data logging found some issues with my sled. Main issue was throttle flipper only giving me 87 percent. Correcting that gave me 100 percent. Low boost was also found and I had to increase Crack pressure. Never would have found these issues without the data logging.

How many grams are you running in your adjustable arms? John told me 2 weights in the heel to start, just wondering if others are finding the same?

#13 gadejethro

gadejethro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1026 posts
  • Sled:2019 Renegade 900T Enduro

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:17 AM

Your in Southern ME,Just call Chris at C&T ,Get a flash ,clutching ,and info ,and be done .He"ll work with you .

Agreed. I made an appointment and on a Friday after work brought my machine to him. He flashed the sled and did all the clutch work for me in about an hour and a half. Easy peasy. 

#14 A05GSHO

A05GSHO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sled:2021 Gade XRS 900T On the way

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:38 PM

Hope this helps and it should cover just about every option currently available.  

So what does Whalen mean at their site when they say "What's Included? (Package Essentials)

• WS185ACE Tune via DynoJet Power Vision PV3
    • DynoJet Power Vision included
    • 91 Octane & 93 Octane Tunes included
If you are looking for a more "safe" trail tune simply do not adjust the wastegate crack pressure(tension on the wastegate arm to the turbo). This tends to keep boost under 16 PSI, leaving more room in the fuel system. If you want the extra power from an extra PSI of boost pressure; increase crack pressure to 7 PSI."

Can the stock wastegate be adjusted?

Edited by A05GSHO, 08 September 2020 - 12:39 PM.

#15 Doo watcher

Doo watcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Sled:900t

Posted 08 September 2020 - 02:33 PM

Yes it can 

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users