IcutMetl

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9004 posts
  • Interests:Boating, snowmobiling, machining, my dogs, and living life
  • Sled:2019 Freeride 154”

Posted 05 September 2020 - 06:07 PM

Time to buy an airbag; would like to buy used if possible. Borrowed a BCA vest/bag for a trip once and liked it, but already have a BCA vest and may only make one bag-worthy trip per year. As long as it’s got room for shovel, probe, and a little extra, that’d be great- I use a tunnel bag on my sled.

Stick with BCA brand? What features do/don’t I need?

#2 jack-danels

jack-danels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:all powersports
  • Sled:2015 Summit 800 X T3 174

Posted 05 September 2020 - 07:03 PM

I bought my bag before the battery blow up bags came out so I don't really know much about them. That said if I were to buy today I'd be looking really closely at them, as I think they have the ability to be inflated several times on one battery charge.

Next to the battery bags the only ones I would consider are the ones that use oxygen.
To me it seems unbelievably stupid to use something like CO2, or n2 which could asphyxiate if the bag were to rupture or leak down right next to your face while buried. In that situation you need every single tiny bit of help possible.

I have a Snow Pulse Highmark Pro (2015?) It's a great bag, well made, comfortable, and adjustable.
I'm an aggressive tree rider so my gear gets abused and this bag doesn't show it, takes the abuse well.
I've set it off a few times (by accident) deploys nice.
I REALLY like the added protection you get with the pro models. The bag blows up behind your head, around the sides on down the front, giving you a lot of added protection from trauma while you're getting the "edit for bad language" kicked out of in an avalanche. Another one of those things that can be the difference between life or death (in my opinion).

So there you have it. I hope you find this helpful

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
1998 Summit 670 X 151
2009 Summit 800 156 x 3"
2015 Summit 800 X T3 174

#3 IcutMetl

IcutMetl

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9004 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 06:46 AM

I bought my bag before the battery blow up bags came out so I don't really know much about them. That said if I were to buy today I'd be looking really closely at them, as I think they have the ability to be inflated several times on one battery charge.

Next to the battery bags the only ones I would consider are the ones that use oxygen.
To me it seems unbelievably stupid to use something like CO2, or n2 which could asphyxiate if the bag were to rupture or leak down right next to your face while buried. In that situation you need every single tiny bit of help possible.

I have a Snow Pulse Highmark Pro (2015?) It's a great bag, well made, comfortable, and adjustable.
I'm an aggressive tree rider so my gear gets abused and this bag doesn't show it, takes the abuse well.
I've set it off a few times (by accident) deploys nice.
I REALLY like the added protection you get with the pro models. The bag blows up behind your head, around the sides on down the front, giving you a lot of added protection from trauma while you're getting the "edit for bad language" kicked out of in an avalanche. Another one of those things that can be the difference between life or death (in my opinion).

So there you have it. I hope you find this helpful

Thanks for the feedback.  Any input on pack size?  

#4 jack-danels

jack-danels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:all powersports
  • Sled:2015 Summit 800 X T3 174

Posted 06 September 2020 - 08:59 AM

Well mine is a 22L which can be kinda big sometimes because I tend to want to bring everything but the kitchen sink.
I carry my core essentials on my body as there would be nothing worse than needing food, water, first aid, fire starter, raido, or a dry base layer, and not having it because I got separated from my sled.
Anyways that's what I carry in my bag plus a few extras, and it makes a fairly big heavy bag heavier. That said I wouldn't go out there with any less. As far as the Highmark Pro being a heavy bag that's because it's extremely well made, they are a premium bag, and from what I've seen the best out there (again not including the battery bags)

1998 Summit 670 X 151
2009 Summit 800 156 x 3"
2015 Summit 800 X T3 174

#5 IcutMetl

IcutMetl

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9004 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:18 AM

Thanks; seems like 15-22L is what I should be looking for. I did find that the MTN-Pro vest I used is 20L, so I’ve got that for perspective.

#6 IcutMetl

IcutMetl

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9004 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:18 PM

Ended up buying a very lightly used BCA MTNPro 2.0 vest w/ cylinder. Thanks for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users