#1 DOOtym

DOOtym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts
  • Sled:19 Gade XRS - 08 XP 600

Posted 27 August 2020 - 05:54 PM

Doc says I'm getting a new pair of 2021 knees. OEM's didn't last and no lifetime warranty on them. Happy to finally know they will both be getting done next year.
Wondering how others have faired with their TKR ?
Surgeon sounds very optimistic compared to many things I've read, or previously been told regarding ability to return to physical type work.
What activities have you found you can no longer manage after surgery, and what activities had you thought were over and you can still manage to your surprise ?

Regarding sledding, do you have issues of fatigue limiting your riding, or extremely cold days causing increased pain ?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Edited by DOOtym, 14 September 2020 - 11:41 PM.

Mainway Solutions Greasable Suspension Components

Elka Shocks

Cudney Clutch kit

24/45 Gearing

1.5" Ripsaw 126 Studboy / Superlight Pro backers

Grip-n-Rip Bracing

#2 tundrafreak

tundrafreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Sled:16 Blizzard 900 Ace, 12 600 X

•    

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:01 PM

Doc says I'm getting a new pair of 2021 knees. OEM's didn't last and no lifetime warranty on them. Happy to finally know they will both be getting done next year.
Wondering how others have faired with their TKR ?
Surgeon sounds very optimistic compared to many things I've read, or previously been told regarding ability to return physical type work.
What activities have you found you can no longer manage after surgery, and what activities had you thought were over and you can still manage to your surprise ?

Regarding sledding, do you have issues of fatigue limiting your riding, or extremely cold days causing increased pain ?

I had my left TKR done in 2010. It's awesome. It doesn't have any negatives for me. It gave me my life back. I had no restrictions and my surgeon was excellent. The only part that was hard was switching from the IV pain meds to oral. That little transition part hurt. But within 8 weeks, I was riding my bike. My replacement was Jun 10 and I had no trouble riding that coming season.
It's been 10 years no issues. Just had a check up and my implant is perfect.
FWIW My surgeons technique didn't cut up the front of my knee cap but on side. It's given my joint full ROM and made my PT go faster.
The longest healing part is the soft tissue damage that has to heal. It took about a year or so for my knee to look like a knee again.

There is no pain anymore because all the bad stuff is gone. No bone on bone. No arthritis. No swelling or giving out. I had several repair surgeries prior on this knee for ACL, medial meniscus removed because it got ripped off the bone. I was so happy to get rid of it. No more limping or stiffness. I do take antibiotics before going to the dentist. Also wear good shoes! And boots. It is really important to wrear supportive shoes.
Good luck!

Edited by tundrafreak, 27 August 2020 - 08:07 PM.

#3 DOOtym

DOOtym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:56 PM

I had my left TKR done in 2010. It's awesome. It doesn't have any negatives for me. It gave me my life back. I had no restrictions and my surgeon was excellent. The only part that was hard was switching from the IV pain meds to oral. That little transition part hurt. But within 8 weeks, I was riding my bike. My replacement was Jun 10 and I had no trouble riding that coming season.
It's been 10 years no issues. Just had a check up and my implant is perfect.
FWIW My surgeons technique didn't cut up the front of my knee cap but on side. It's given my joint full ROM and made my PT go faster.
The longest healing part is the soft tissue damage that has to heal. It took about a year or so for my knee to look like a knee again.

There is no pain anymore because all the bad stuff is gone. No bone on bone. No arthritis. No swelling or giving out. I had several repair surgeries prior on this knee for ACL, medial meniscus removed because it got ripped off the bone. I was so happy to get rid of it. No more limping or stiffness. I do take antibiotics before going to the dentist. Also wear good shoes! And boots. It is really important to wrear supportive shoes.
Good luck!

Fantastic to hear your experience was such a success. Thanks for sharing.
Hoping mine goes even half as good as that. Had both scoped 7 years ago and it's been a long road to finally being told it's a go. First one is once the snow is gone, second is three months later. Going to be a tough few months but can't wait for it to happen.

Elka Shocks

Cudney Clutch kit

24/45 Gearing

Grip-n-Rip Bracing

#4 tundrafreak

tundrafreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Sled:16 Blizzard 900 Ace, 12 600 X

•    

Posted 27 August 2020 - 11:18 PM

Fantastic to hear your experience was such a success. Thanks for sharing.
Hoping mine goes even half as good as that. Had both scoped 7 years ago and it's been a long road to finally being told it's a go. First one is once the snow is gone, second is three months later. Going to be a tough few months but can't wait for it to happen.

Sounds like you have a solid plan & schedule. I'm sure the technology has improved drastically from mine. I think the Ortho doc and prothesises medical surgeon customize in the OR? Will yours be that way? Your going to love it.

#5 TheBearAk

TheBearAk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4652 posts
  • Sled:2015 Skidoo Renegade BC 600 etec

Posted 28 August 2020 - 02:31 AM

Just don't buy into the stud, carbides or can add-ons, and be sure to use a decent synthetic oil.   :lol:

Seriously though, good luck on the surgery.  Have a friend that went from barely being able to walk to jogging after knee replacements in just a year.  Can't speak to what type they are.

I've got some shoulder surgery in my near future, which will most likely make it Jan-Feb before I can even think about going on rides.

#6 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27488 posts
  • Sled:'19 850X, Outlander 650XT, & Defender XT

Posted 28 August 2020 - 05:35 AM

^^^ Shoulder surgery - ugh, good luck. I'm currently fighting a bum shoulder and PT seems to be **slowly** helping.

I see my brother-in-law at PT too, he had a knee done 3-4 weeks ago. He's driving himself to PT now and has the other one already scheduled to be done. Needless to say hes been happy with the early results.

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. 

No Need to Freeze-buy a set of these! http://www.coldguards.com/

#7 DOOtym

DOOtym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:03 AM

Sounds like you have a solid plan & schedule. I'm sure the technology has improved drastically from mine. I think the Ortho doc and prothesises medical surgeon customize in the OR? Will yours be that way? Your going to love it.

Started prepping now with knee exercises to help post op.
Don't know how much they have improved in the last decade, I haven't seen a SMART knee yet, but certainly they are always working on improvents and alternatives. Enquired about alternatives but not a good cantidate for them because of varus, which was the cause and also becomes a complication.
Still seven months to go, maybe they'll have a Rmotion X version by then.

Edited by DOOtym, 14 September 2020 - 11:39 PM.

Elka Shocks

Cudney Clutch kit

24/45 Gearing

Grip-n-Rip Bracing

#8 DOOtym

DOOtym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:22 AM

Just don't buy into the stud, carbides or can add-ons, and be sure to use a decent synthetic oil.

Seriously though, good luck on the surgery. Have a friend that went from barely being able to walk to jogging after knee replacements in just a year. Can't speak to what type they are.

I've got some shoulder surgery in my near future, which will most likely make it Jan-Feb before I can even think about going on rides.

Nice to hear your friend's surgery went so well he can manage that level of activity on it. I'll be happy walking and working again pain free.
Going to try them out first before considering studs, but if Mainway has a kit and I can get some synthetic grease in them......

All the best with your shoulder surgery.

Elka Shocks

Cudney Clutch kit

24/45 Gearing

Grip-n-Rip Bracing

#9 Valonmxz

Valonmxz

Mainway Solutions Inc.

• Sponsors
  • 2575 posts
  • Interests:Owner of Mainway Solutions Inc.
    Riding, Machining, Rebuilding
    Family and Friends
    Noahonmxz Briggsonmxz
    Carteronmxz
    1999 Mini Z 120
  • Sled:2020 Renegade X-RS 850 E-TECH

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:14 AM

All The Best Tony, Hope everything goes well for you. 

MAINWAY SOLUTIONS Inc.

mw-flash.gif

The key to a Smooth Running Suspension is Lubrication

MSK02.png MSK01.jpg MSHK01.jpg

If you can order it .... We ship it the very Next Day every Day

We Only Sell what we have ready to ship, no waiting for orders to come in

Call or Text 905.719.6515 Any Time... :D

AccelTech-logo.png Great Elka Products Great Service Set-ups 
[url=https://cdn.shortpix...elTech-logo.png

#10 fred1200

fred1200

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Interests:Water skiing, going fast
  • Sled:16 1200 Blizzard

Posted 29 August 2020 - 08:35 AM

I need them both done as well. I know 2 who had it done and didn't go well so to be honest i am afraid to go ahead with it.

#11 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27488 posts
  • Sled:'19 850X, Outlander 650XT, & Defender XT

Posted 30 August 2020 - 08:56 AM

Physical therapy, before and after, is your friend.

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. 

No Need to Freeze-buy a set of these! http://www.coldguards.com/

#12 skidoorevxp

skidoorevxp

Ford hater

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18691 posts
  • Sled:rev800, 2015 gade backcountry 600

Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:10 PM

Did you contact customer service and file a complaint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pin it or die type stuff there.. Nothing worse than coming around a corner and seeing a freekin pond that's the entire way across the trail and 50 yards long. Oh and of course the lip at the exit point on the pond is about a foot high straight up and your wife is right behind you on her sled and you say "PIN IT and KEEP IT PINNED!"... and she says "what?".

Tic knows how to pin it!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I’m sick of snow

#13 Renegade85

Renegade85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Sled:05 Renegade 700

Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:29 PM

Hello my name is Nicole and I am from KneeCare, please send me a private message with your knees serial number and date of manufacture and I will look into it. 

If I had a dollar for every time I broke something and the mechanic said to me "I've never seen that before"....

2021 Backcountry XRS (Is it here yet?)

2005 Renegade 700

2006 mxzx 800

2017 Renegade 900ace (Crashed)

2018 Renegade 900ace Enduro

2019 Renegade 900ace Enduro

#14 900mac

900mac

Supreme Snowmobiler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1689 posts
  • Sled:2020 enduro 900t, 2011 600 sport

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:17 PM

Do your PT before the surgery. It will really help. I would not have 2 done at the same time without a lot of help around the house for a couple of months, you can do a lot on one leg, but with two down you will be very limited for a while.

#15 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6311 posts
  • Sled:2015 Expedion SE 1200

Posted 30 August 2020 - 10:40 PM

Really not looking forward to the time when my right knee needs to be done. It's too loose. That meniscus is shot,and as a result I can stand up wrong and virtually need a cane for 3 months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users