Raptor triple rate single shock spring vs Dual spring setup ride compa - REV-GEN 4 - MXZ Performance Trail 129/ Renegade 137 - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Raptor triple rate single shock spring vs Dual spring setup ride compa

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jerryskidoo2020

jerryskidoo2020

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Sled:2020 Renegade X

Posted 25 August 2020 - 12:13 PM

Does anyone have some real user experience comparing the single Triple rate shock spring (made by Raptor) vs a dual rate setup like Hygear or Elka offers?  I am looking for data for both the front shocks and center shock.  I am interested in hearing about how the the Triples are in the stutter bumps and also riding the rough stuff, as compared to stock or a dual rate setup.  Trail riding is what I mainly do.  I know I could talk to Raptor, but then I may hear more of a sales pitch vs real world comparisons.  I am not doing jumps with my sled.  Just riding groomed and end of day beat-up trails in Wisconsin.  Thanks.

#2 AZSnowlvr

AZSnowlvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:Previous Sleds
    2011 1200 X
    2004 Adr 800
  • Sled:2017 G4 850X

Posted 25 August 2020 - 12:40 PM

No real experience with the triple rate, but plenty of back to back with the dual rates. Moving to the dual gave a bit more sag as the small spring allowed for the sled to settle deeper into its stance. This flattened the sled out and allowed it to soak up the stutter a ton vs the single straight rate. I do feel the sled has a bit more initial roll on turn in, but once the tender compresses, it stops and goes through the corner flat.

To each his own on this. My experience is good and I like it. My dad hates it. He prefers the single spring as it doesn't have that roll in feeling.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

#3 marky49

marky49

Advanced Member

• Sponsors
  • 4928 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, My kids sports, Dirt Racing, Things
    that go fast and make alot of noise
  • Sled:2013 Rene X 800

Posted 25 August 2020 - 06:53 PM

No real experience with the triple rate, but plenty of back to back with the dual rates. Moving to the dual gave a bit more sag as the small spring allowed for the sled to settle deeper into its stance. This flattened the sled out and allowed it to soak up the stutter a ton vs the single straight rate. I do feel the sled has a bit more initial roll on turn in, but once the tender compresses, it stops and goes through the corner flat.

To each his own on this. My experience is good and I like it. My dad hates it. He prefers the single spring as it doesn't have that roll in feeling.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

my observation as well....sets in and stops ...
this along with the sway bar mod helps a well...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Previous rides:<br><br />1981 John Deere Trailfire 440 , 1991 Ski Doo Formula Plus 521 , 1997 Ski Doo MXZ 583 new , 1999 Cat ZR 600 EFI new rocketship for a 600...<br><br />Had kids....<br><br />1985 Poo XLT 650 , 2002 Yami Viper 700, 2004 Ski Doo Rev 600ho , 1987 Poo XLT 650 , 2007 Yami Nytro 1000 , 2011 Ski Doo MXZ 800 X, 2007 Ski Doo MXZ 550x raced , 2012 Cat Sno Pro 500 raced , 2010 Cat Sno Pro 500 Spring Order Limited , 2010.5 Ski Doo MXZ 800X <br><br />Might be a couple others in there I have mentally blocked from memory....<br><br />My sons: 2004 Poo 120X , 1985 Poo Star 250 , 1987 Poo Indy Trail 440 , 1997 Poo Indy Trail 500 , Rev 550x , <br><br />Now on the 2010 SP 500 Limited

#4 SShooterZ

SShooterZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Sled:2017 Arctic Cat ZR8000 Sno Pro

Posted 26 August 2020 - 01:13 PM

My experience is on a Cat so take that for what it's worth. I am also 100% a trail rider in Norther WI and the U.P. I replaced the spring on my front center skid shock with a Raptor triple rate and I've never bottomed out after that. Not even on some hard whooped out parts of trails. It was like $60 at the time and well worth the investment. Ended up putting one on my buddy's sled too and he loves it. Ironically, I think the spring we used was originally for a Polaris but its been a nice ride improvement. I think the Hygear setup is a nicer setup but for the price, I'm happy with what I purchased.

#5 jerryskidoo2020

jerryskidoo2020

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Sled:2020 Renegade X

Posted 02 September 2020 - 12:20 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I went ahead and ordered my new shocks from Monster Performance.  Elka 4 with dual springs on front and Exit 2 with dual springs for the center.  Ian has always been quick to answer my questions via email and I feel more confident with him in charge of building my shocks vs Raptor.  The guy at Raptor also was nice and helpful and their shocks look great and are built in the USA, but I have more confidence with Ian because of all the recommendations here on Dootalk.

#6 SShooterZ

SShooterZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Sled:2017 Arctic Cat ZR8000 Sno Pro

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:39 PM

You'll have to update us after the season with how you liked the new setup. A nice riding suspension makes all the difference in the world. Best of luck with the new setup!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users