Garage Apartment/House thing...... - Page 2 - General Discussion - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Garage Apartment/House thing......

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 6100D

6100D

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 3119 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling,Hunting,Fishing,Beer,My Wife, not in that order though>>>
  • Sled:Rupp

Posted 06 September 2020 - 07:18 AM

By car - it'll take them 2-3 hours depending on how hard they whip the horses.

Around here in Wisconsin usually they are picked up by truck, car and taken to the job sight and taken back home at the end of the day>>>>But yes I would look at getting Amish people to do the work for building.  They take great pride their work>>>I had them do all are cabinet work in our kitchen when we remodeled and are having them make me a new Medicine Cabinet right now>>>Nice thing is I have at least 3 places within 10 miles that do this type of work with the cabinets and plenty that do building construction also>>>>>

" Age is merely the number of years the world has been enjoying you."

"If you haven't grown up by age 60,You don't have to."

#17 skidoorevxp

skidoorevxp

Ford hater

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19146 posts
  • Sled:rev800, 2015 gade backcountry 600

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:06 AM

Might want to check into local building codes, and see if they allow such setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pin it or die type stuff there.. Nothing worse than coming around a corner and seeing a freekin pond that's the entire way across the trail and 50 yards long. Oh and of course the lip at the exit point on the pond is about a foot high straight up and your wife is right behind you on her sled and you say "PIN IT and KEEP IT PINNED!"... and she says "what?".

Tic knows how to pin it!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I’m sick of snow

#18 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6362 posts
  • Sled:2015 Expedion SE 1200

Posted 09 September 2020 - 10:52 AM

I've seen Amish builders in action. I didn't see a spectacular amount of pride in work. I just saw a complete disregard for safety. Just a bunch of semi-inbred disposable kids running around on and under rafters while an older guy looks on.

#19 1Evil55

1Evil55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2130 posts
  • Sled:2007 Blizzard

Posted 09 September 2020 - 11:21 AM

I've seen Amish builders in action. I didn't see a spectacular amount of pride in work. I just saw a complete disregard for safety. Just a bunch of semi-inbred disposable kids running around on and under rafters while an older guy looks on.

Thats how every job ever got done before OSHA.  Bottom line is they get the job done.  Nevermind the missing limbs..

#20 bullwhipman

bullwhipman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1429 posts
  • Sled:Ski-Doo's and Scorpion's

Posted 09 September 2020 - 02:20 PM

Theres a large building contractor in my area that hires a bunch of Amish. The work they do is complete "edit for bad language".

#21 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6362 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 02:27 PM

Around here in Wisconsin usually they are picked up by truck, car and taken to the job sight and taken back home at the end of the day>>>>But yes I would look at getting Amish people to do the work for building.  They take great pride their work>>>I had them do all are cabinet work in our kitchen when we remodeled and are having them make me a new Medicine Cabinet right now>>>Nice thing is I have at least 3 places within 10 miles that do this type of work with the cabinets and plenty that do building construction also>>>>>

I thought Wisconsin had Mennonites.

#22 dsupercat

dsupercat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Sled:Skidoo

Posted 09 September 2020 - 03:44 PM

We have both but we have one of the largest Amish populations in America.  I always say you can have good or cheap not both.

#23 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6362 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:07 PM

https://www.homedepo...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

this sort of what you are looking for? Here is a dollar figure for it.

#24 6100D

6100D

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 3119 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling,Hunting,Fishing,Beer,My Wife, not in that order though>>>
  • Sled:Rupp

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:08 AM

I thought Wisconsin had Mennonites.

Yes we have them, Mennonites, Amish, and some very close neighbors German Baptist>>>>>They all have a little different culture, but some very nice people to have for neighbors>>>>>

" Age is merely the number of years the world has been enjoying you."

"If you haven't grown up by age 60,You don't have to."

#25 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6362 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:31 AM

Yes we have them, Mennonites, Amish, and some very close neighbors German Baptist>>>>>They all have a little different culture, but some very nice people to have for neighbors>>>>>

I'm sure that's generally the case, but not everything about different cultures is laudable. Don't the Amish run a large % of the nation's puppy mills?

#26 bullwhipman

bullwhipman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1429 posts
  • Sled:Ski-Doo's and Scorpion's

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:50 AM

We have lots of Amish and mennonites. They hide behind their religion to keep from paying their fair share in taxes.

#27 Layman

Layman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:Riding, a very little bit of golf, and being a dad.
  • Sled:2020 Renegade X 600R 1.5 IR

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:46 AM

We have lots of Amish and mennonites. They hide behind their religion to keep from paying their fair share in taxes.

You don't have to be Amish to hide behind religion as a way of avoiding taxes.  Lots of good people of all faiths, use all sorts of excuses and ploys to avoid paying taxes.   That's the American way.   

#28 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6362 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:15 AM

What benefits to the Amish and other traditionalist Anabaptists get from our tax dollars? I can't think its all that significant. There are plenty of other more deserving targets of political ire.

#29 G-Doo13

G-Doo13

fulltime trainee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3382 posts
  • Interests:Any thing outdoors, hunting, fishing, camping in BWCA, and braaaping
  • Sled:2021 Adrenaline 900T

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:24 PM

You don't have to be Amish to hide behind religion as a way of avoiding taxes.  Lots of good people of all faiths, use all sorts of excuses and ploys to avoid paying taxes.   That's the American way.   

And some get caught and go to Jail. 

#30 Milt11

Milt11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Sled:2019 Freeride 165

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:38 AM

How random, “ Garage Apartment/house thing” thread turns into a debate about Amish people....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users