cetaneaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • Interests:Flat or hill it don't matter
  • Sled:08 800R, 779, 03 F7, 98 809

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:51 AM

Has anyone built one before? If so location, size, and rough cost? The reason I ask is because I was looking at buying a house but the current housing market is insane! So I'm looking at having a pole barn/metal shop built 40X60 or so with living upstairs. Ideally the shop ceiling being tall enough for a lift and some of my heavy equipment to be able to drive in and work on. I will probably do the living quarters myself with the help of some friends. I guess what I am asking for is some ideas. I've been looking on the interwebs for ideas and rough cost but you have to buy the plans to get an idea of the cost. Any info would be great!

#2 syracusestars37

syracusestars37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Moto, sledding
  • Sled:19 850X 129 Pro40s

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:18 AM

There are some interesting "Vlogs" on youtube of people who have done this. There was one in PA i remember watching, was like a half hour long, he had a cost break down too. Search shop house if I remember correctly. I was toying with the idea, but bought a house Just as the 'rona set in, so prices hadnt gone through the rough yet but interest rates were down in the basement.

Edited by syracusestars37, 18 August 2020 - 08:19 AM.

#3 cetaneaddict

cetaneaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:29 AM

I'll do some looking. I have the land to build on. I just have to figure out cost vs size. Not looking for anything super fancy. I have some retired friends that would help with the finishing. I also have a backhoe and bucket tractor to work with. With a phone call I could have a mini ex and/or skidsteer show up if needed to help keep costs down some.

#4 tundrafreak

tundrafreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Sled:16 Blizzard 900 Ace, 12 600 X

•    

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:33 AM

Have you looked at Garage Journal? If you think housing market is insane wait to you buy materials now. I've been helping my riding friends build their future retirement home in Northeastern VT. It's a 28x40 walkout . Wood prices doubled and are going up. He bought a lot of materials in advance but now a $2.50 2x4 precut is $4.75! Anything from now forward is throwing his numbers off. He's an HVAC contractor so he has relationships with suppliers but lumber is crazy!
I'm so glad I had my 24x24 stick built with full foundation studio/garage built last summer. From permit to finish was $40k. Contractor was excellent. It's like a cabin inside. Heated etc. This was Northern VT.
Best of luck in your project. You do get a huge satisfaction doing it yourself. I'm having a great time helping my friends yet it's pretty stressful for them seeing $fly out for electrical service, well, septic (their land had a conventional permit in place) besides all other supplies.

#5 cetaneaddict

cetaneaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:48 AM

I'm hoping 2021 things settle down some. I'm looking to pay a contractor to build the shell then I'll do the concrete with help of friends. I'm sure it will be spendy. A friend of mine has been building his garage apartment for the last two years. His is 24X32 gable style metal barn. He's done all of it himself and I believe he said he has about 50k into it and the up stairs isn't finished yet.

#6 gadejethro

gadejethro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1026 posts
  • Sled:2019 Renegade 900T Enduro

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:04 AM

Yep, you aren't kidding about the market. Here in NH houses are selling sight unseen, no inspections or contingencies for $40k over asking price the same hour they hit the market. I have had my buddy who is an agent on the lookout, told him I want a fixer upper but something liveable and I want to spend $200k max. You won't get liveable for that around here. You'll get a rat infested early 70's split ranch on less than an acre in a terrible neighborhood that you need to spend 50 grand on in order to move in without a bio-hazard suit. If you have the land you are in good shape for the most part. You will spend 50% more easily on anything you need to contract out like septic work or a well because they are as busy as they ever have been in their lives. But that is a lot less of an issue than the land, which is going for $80k an acre or more. 

#7 cetaneaddict

cetaneaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:21 AM

I was interested in purchasing my parent's house. It was unofficially assessed for 200k in the middle and upward of 233k. It's a bit out of my price range being single. I could afford 200k house but it would cut out my hobbies. I found a house for 150k with 4 acres. It was a double wide with a 30X40 shop that didn't have concrete. It sold in 3 days at 170k. I'm hoping to build something for under 150k. Ideally if somehow possible build it for under 100k but I'm not sure if that's totally possible. It might just be a pipe dream.

#8 tcnomad

tcnomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Sled:2014 Gade 900 Ace, 2012 TNT Ace

Posted 18 August 2020 - 10:06 AM

I've seen Pole barns semi finished with a Travel Trailer inside of them used temporally until the the project can be completed within the cost range at later date.

You still get some shop space and a place the live until at gets finished.     

Edited by tcnomad, 18 August 2020 - 10:33 AM.

#9 tundrafreak

tundrafreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Sled:16 Blizzard 900 Ace, 12 600 X

•    

Posted 18 August 2020 - 11:05 AM

Yep, you aren't kidding about the market. Here in NH houses are selling sight unseen, no inspections or contingencies for $40k over asking price the same hour they hit the market. I have had my buddy who is an agent on the lookout, told him I want a fixer upper but something liveable and I want to spend $200k max. You won't get liveable for that around here. You'll get a rat infested early 70's split ranch on less than an acre in a terrible neighborhood that you need to spend 50 grand on in order to move in without a bio-hazard suit. If you have the land you are in good shape for the most part. You will spend 50% more easily on anything you need to contract out like septic work or a well because they are as busy as they ever have been in their lives. But that is a lot less of an issue than the land, which is going for $80k an acre or more.

My friends bought 24 acres in March Northern VT (4 miles from IP) that had been logged, had two driveways with lots of road frontage. VAST and VASA access off the back. The lot came with an approved 3 bedroom building permit w/ septic & can be subdivided. They really got lucky seeing the sign a 1/2 hour after and bought at $45k. He immediately talked with concrete guy, excavator, well guy and power. They used my realtor friend who says the same as you. Sight unseen buying and folks with deep pockets knocking on doors. It's nuts. Happy for my friends though. They scored.

#10 Milt11

Milt11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Sled:2019 Freeride 165

Posted 18 August 2020 - 12:29 PM

FB5B08BC-711F-4934-A12A-ED43DD996D22.jpeg

Buddy built this couple years ago. Living side has loft with the master bed/bath. I forget the dimensions of it but it’s decently deep. 14’ high doors.
  • JVP likes this

#11 cetaneaddict

cetaneaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:21 PM

So what's the most cost effective garage size? Length X Width?

#12 krm

krm

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 16834 posts
  • Interests:building/racing sleds krm 432 driver graham coombs ,brandon colgin ,brett burns #217 moto cross ,Pro stk dirt cars ,Ken Martin Driver
  • Sled:,19 900t 20,850xrs 21 850x21900t x

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:43 PM

I'd be looking to get those Amish building people .Great work at a good price .Try Amish barn company

#13 cetaneaddict

cetaneaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:48 PM

We do have some Amish that are only 20-30 minutes away.

#14 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27488 posts
  • Sled:'19 850X, Outlander 650XT, & Defender XT

Posted 05 September 2020 - 06:46 PM

We do have some Amish that are only 20-30 minutes away.

By car - it'll take them 2-3 hours depending on how hard they whip the horses.

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. 

No Need to Freeze-buy a set of these! http://www.coldguards.com/

#15 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6311 posts
  • Sled:2015 Expedion SE 1200

Posted 05 September 2020 - 09:45 PM

Home depot actually has kits for these types of things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users