bramsay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Tri-Town Sno Travellers and Club Echo
  • Sled:2020 Expedition SE 900

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:24 AM

I know this issue has been discussed but not sure if there has been a good conclusion reached.

I have 2 2020 Expeditions (one LE and one SE) and a 2018 LE.  All have 900 ACE NA engines.

This past winter there was a lot of thin crusts on the lakes - the Expeditions were all but undriveable because of the skis grabbing and throwing the front end.  One day there were about a dozen of us going down the lake and only the Yamaha Nitro and I were experiencing this problem.  My wife's 900 Grand Touring had no issues.  This is clearly an Expedition problem and may apply to Skandics as swll.

4 different options have been discussed in the forum 

1.  Ski skins

2.  Simmons skis

3.  Arctic Cat Skis

4.  Polaris skis

Do the skins help with the wicked darting in crust or only better flotation in deep snow?

Do either of the other 3 skis drive as well the rest of the time?

What have you tried and what have been your results?  How much work is it to fit another brand of ski to an Expedition?

I am planning on changing my skis in the early fall and am looking for some input. 

#2 jamiepenney

jamiepenney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Sled:mxz500ss

Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:41 AM

Polaris pro Floats if you’re cheap. Simmon gen2 if you got the cash. The simmon will turn in snow or on hard pack really well, although some report heavier steering feel with them.

The floats will push more then stock on trail and with fresh snow on a pack trail. I also notice they are dirtier then the Simmons in deep snow.

As for a side by side comparison, I have two 1200s, one with Simmons and one with pro floats.

Edited by jamiepenney, 17 July 2020 - 10:42 AM.

#3 tmacneil

tmacneil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Sled:2018 Titan XC

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:31 PM

This is an open internet forum, don't think you will ever see consensus/conclusion, but lots of good opinions.

I previously had Expy SE 900. I had the ski skins, they did not help with darting.

I put the Polaris Floats on it, they were a significant improvement.

I currently have a Titan with the Polaris Gripper skis. They are not as wide as the Floats, similar width to the DS2s. I really like these skis. if you are not in really deep snow a lot, these could be an option to consider.

It is minimal effort to adapt the Polaris ski to fit Skidoo. Well documented in a few threads on here.

#4 Saguenay Bill1

Saguenay Bill1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Sled:2020 Expedition 900 Sport

Posted 17 July 2020 - 04:46 PM

I put Snow Trackers on mine and it made all the difference for me

#5 18000HP

18000HP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1273 posts
  • Interests:Cutting wood , breaking trails and fixing stuff
  • Sled:2010 V800 SWT 2011 Renegade X 800

Posted 17 July 2020 - 05:51 PM

I put Snow Trackers on mine and it made all the difference for me

Did that to my Skandic SWT with the stock skis and it is working pretty good too.

Winter is the COOOLEST Season :Cheers

#6 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3000 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, bikes, birds and sometimes fishing.
  • Sled:Expedition SWT

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:00 AM

Once you've tried the Simmons Gen 2's, there's simply no going back. They are a huge improvement in every area over the stock ski-doo skis. 

Putting skins on skidoo skis does help with flotation, obviously, but does nothing for the dartiness in crusty conditions. 

If I was trying to save a few bucks, or had trouble finding Simmons, I'd go with the Arctic Cat 10-8's. They're a very stable and forgiving ski, excellent flotation, easy steering, while being precise, especially with dual carbides installed. 

The Pro-Floats are a nice option as well. I found they pushed a bit in soft snow, but I never did try mine with a more aggressive carbide, so it's possible that that would be an easy fix.

Really though, if you're looking for the ultimate fix, go with the Simmons. The only disadvantage is the initial cost. 

#7 YKSkandic

YKSkandic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Sled:09 Skandic SUV 550F. 17 Expy LE 900 ACE

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:22 AM

i'm guessing the doo ski skins don't fit the Simmons? So that extra floatation has to be sacrificed if one upgrades to Simmons? is this correct? 

#8 LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7538 posts
  • Sled:Everything

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:37 PM

You are correct that the Doo boots do not fit the Simmons skis, completely different profile... that's kind of the point here, it's the completely different dual keel bottom profile of the Simmons ski that corrects the darting.  There is some reduction in floatation by going with the Simmons vs the DS+Boot but not much, the Simmons skis that are used with WT/SWT's are very wide.

NB can you help me with some of the actual sizes here?

#9 YKSkandic

YKSkandic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:18 PM

Yes, I should have looked it up first, it appears the Simmons Gen II is 10' wide. I assume this is appropriate for an Expy. the Gen III is 8". I agree, the expy darting issue is killer on spring crust. Thanks LB!

#10 vinci_78

vinci_78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Sled:2019 Summit 850, 2020 EXP SE 900T

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:50 PM

I spent quite a while messing with the suspension set up on mine last year. I was having this exact problem. Between getting the suspension dialed in and swapping to Simmons Gen ll it made a world of difference. peace

#11 pierre3737

pierre3737

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Sled:1996 mxz 440

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:39 PM

Can you share your suspension settings

#12 stmike

stmike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4450 posts
  • Interests:all the big boys toys
  • Sled:2014 800etec BC 2018 summit X 154

Posted Yesterday, 05:57 AM

When the crust comes i replace the skis with ones off my old 1998 GT .

#13 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3000 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, bikes, birds and sometimes fishing.
  • Sled:Expedition SWT

Posted Yesterday, 07:25 AM

Yes, I should have looked it up first, it appears the Simmons Gen II is 10' wide. I assume this is appropriate for an Expy. the Gen III is 8". I agree, the expy darting issue is killer on spring crust. Thanks LB!

That is correct, the Gen 2's are 10", and the 3's are 8". 

In my opinion, Gen 2's offer just as much flotation as DS 2's with skins. 

For WT's and SWT's, especially with the 900 motor, the Gen 2's are really the ticket. The width and flotation are obviously a bonus, but just as important, the narrower Gen 3's give much heavier turning, I imagine because of the longer carbide. I bought a pair of Gen 3's by mistake, and didn't really like them on my SWT, but they are terrific on my wife's 550 Indy. 

#14 YKSkandic

YKSkandic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:03 AM

Thanks NB, Gen II's sound right for my expy with the 900 up front. I do very little hard surface riding, I see there are options for Standard, 4" and 6" Carbides, would Standard be fine for off trail riding? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users