lumberjack2003

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Riding in Northern Maine, NH, Quebec
  • Sled:'19 Summit X 154

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:09 AM

I typically ride the mountains of Quebec, always looking for whatever steep and deep I can find. Last year I lost 1/2 the season because they closed the border and they keep extending that closure so I'm afraid it might destroy another season on me. 

I'm hoping to get some recommendations for outfitters/guides and lodging. We're thinking UT, MT, WY, CO, or ID but we don't have anything specific in mind. We're looking for something where we can fly out there and ride some deep fluffy pow.

I could also use some help finding resources outlining where we are permitted to go and where is off-limits to sleds. 

Thanks in advance!

#2 tcnomad

tcnomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Sled:2014 Gade 900 Ace, 2012 TNT Ace

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:39 PM

Try these guys https://www.facebook.../?fref=mentions

. I've never been out there but i know 10 guys who get out there regularly. They also donate a free trip for for 2 every year for my club here in NY. 

Also all new Doo mountain mounts to ride !!! 

#3 lumberjack2003

lumberjack2003

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 03:47 PM

Great, thanks for the tip tcnomad, I'll check them out!

#4 tcnomad

tcnomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Sled:2014 Gade 900 Ace, 2012 TNT Ace

Posted 16 July 2020 - 03:53 PM

Yea, I'am too old to go play out in the steep and deep, but my crew is young and dumb.... They come home walking like me!

#5 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 24821 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:42 PM

Yea, I'am too old to go play out in the steep and deep, but my crew is young and dumb.... They come home walking like me!

Same story here lol

Lumberjack2003, what mountains were you riding in Quebec, in the region of Gaspé?

#6 spangler21

spangler21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:Gnarly Pow
  • Sled:2019 Ski-Doo Summit 850

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:47 PM

West Yellowstone, MT is a great place for the fly in, fly out sledder, West yellowstone also has a place to rent heavily modded sleds. Also, Togwotee is a great option as well. The snow in those places is regularly great and the terrain has something for everybody. Both have lots of rental options

The Snowie Mountains outside of Laramie, Wy is another great place but is a lot of flat riding and is a long ride to the good stuff without a trailer. Rental sleds are limited to Albany lodge, and are all polaris'

Island park, ID is another great option and has a lot of VRBO options, and is only 15-20 miles south of West Yellowstone.

Cooke City, MT is a lot of the steep and deep, but is really hard to get to without renting a car.  but you can rent just about any brand of sled

2018 Ram 2500 Cummins, 2019 Summit SP 154"x3", 2018 Polaris RZR 1000XP    :cool_old:

#KCCO

#7 xcrsp440

xcrsp440

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • Sled:03 600HO 07 500ss 15 800 BCX & Freeride

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:46 PM

For the past several years this is where our group has gone. Winter packages, rentals, guides, huge snow.
I too am old and try to stay with the youngsters.
https://www.togwotee...n=google_places

Edited by xcrsp440, 16 July 2020 - 08:47 PM.

#8 lumberjack2003

lumberjack2003

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 02:43 PM

Daag44, I usually ride the Mont Valin area. There are several great locations north of the Saguenay river...if you can get across the border. 

#9 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 24821 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 17 July 2020 - 03:00 PM

Daag44, I usually ride the Mont Valin area. There are several great locations north of the Saguenay river...if you can get across the border. 

Oh ok, that is further North than I ride, or rather the furthest North than I reach. My local group goes riding there, but I haven't followed their change to off-trail. I have shifted my riding from below Saint-Michel-Des-Saints to above it where I reach the 83. There is so much better riding above. The 93 which falls into the area you ride is the next step. Hopefully the NY/QC border will be open by December and you guys can make your way to Lac St-Jean.

A little closer to home to get early and late snow in Northern Ontario, there is Cochrane, Abitibi Canyon, Smooth Rock Falls, and for off-trail there is Kapuskasing and Hearst. Trail and off-trail in Maine is another place on my bucket list.

Edited by Daag44, 17 July 2020 - 11:42 PM.

#10 lumberjack2003

lumberjack2003

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 03:32 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate you helping me narrow the planning down a bit. 

Any insight on UT vs WY or MT based on snow accumulation? They're quite a bit further south, but still would have the elevation. Plus it's easy to get in and out of Salt Lake for flights...  

#11 wwracer

wwracer

Advanced Member

• Stuff by Dootalkers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2703 posts
  • Interests:Retired accomplished snow bum
  • Sled:18 Summit X 165 3"

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:14 PM

If you wanna ride near SLC google up Cache Valley near Logan, or Idahohighcountry.org.... at least I think that's the addy

<p>15 Summit XM 163X Turbo<br>
06 Summit 154 800HO</p>
<p>Retired, <strike>aspiring</strike> accomplished Snow Bum</p>
<p>Ask me about my Rev Bulkhead Braces

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users