• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Toecutter

Toecutter

"The Podiatrist"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3558 posts
  • Interests:trail riding, golf, learning bout' crap I don't know, WW2 history (Thanks vets !)
  • Sled:2016 blizzard 600 etec

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:04 AM

Looking for any feedback from owners of this vehicle.
I’m looking to purchase this truck soon, will only be pulling a 7 x 16 trailer with 2 sleds....under 3,000 lbs. Truck is rated for 6,000 lbs.

Any feedback is MUCH appreciated !

b0738249c7a7a63c41cad559a6f1826c.jpg

#2 iwaREV

iwaREV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Sled:2003 Rev 800

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:51 AM

My best friend has one, hauls a couple sleds just fine. Nice trucks!

#3 DareDog

DareDog

E-Tec Rules

• DOOCrew
  • 32279 posts
  • Sled:2010 600 Etec

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:39 AM

Its a Toyota. So its good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Fleet:
1998 Formula III 700-14,000 Miles
2004 600ho- 18,300 Miles
2005 500ss- 9,500 Miles
2010 600 HO Etec- 13,000 Miles

2016 600 HO Etec Blizzard-7,500 Miles 

2016 600 HO Etec Blizzard- 5,000 Miles

2017 600 Ace Blizzard - 1,350 Miles 

(2) 1975 245 RV 

1964 skidoo four cycle

1964 huski 

#4 Toecutter

Toecutter

"The Podiatrist"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3558 posts
  • Interests:trail riding, golf, learning bout' crap I don't know, WW2 history (Thanks vets !)

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:42 AM

Its a Toyota. So its good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking for a little more than that DD, but thanks just the same !

#5 sledmoonman

sledmoonman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Mostly doing stuff with various things.
  • Sled:2019 MXZ 600 Carb

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:40 PM

I have a 2012 4x4 Tacoma double cab with the 4.0 liter. (I think it's rated at just a few more ft. lbs. of torque than the new motor)

I also had a 7x12 enclosed with five foot v-nose, tandem axel, electric break trailer. I also figured it was about 3,000 lbs. with two sleds on it. 

It pulled it. Overall stability was great, tracked straight, wind wouldn't blow me around much, and stopping power was great with the trailer brakes. Don't expect a lot of reserve passing power, and plan on about 65 mph on the highway as you will not be in overdrive. Also as with pulling anything, mileage dropped in half. I was hoping the V-nose would have helped with that, but no.

I love my Tacoma. For everyday use and occasional towing it's great. I didn't pull my sleds but a few of times a year. It was usually up to the cabin for the season, then back home at the end of the season, maybe one additional trip a year. If you're going to pull a lot more than that, I would suggest a bigger truck. 

I had always wished Toyota still made the supercharger kit they made for that 4.0 liter. That would have been awesome!

Started out on a 1973 Suzuki Nomad 340

1995 XCR 440

1996 Indy Trail

1996 XCR 600

2005 Super Sport

2006 Trail RMK

2015 Renegade Sport Carb (Current)

2019 MXZ Sport Carb (Current)

#6 Toecutter

Toecutter

"The Podiatrist"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3558 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:35 PM

I have a 2012 4x4 Tacoma double cab with the 4.0 liter. (I think it's rated at just a few more ft. lbs. of torque than the new motor)

I also had a 7x12 enclosed with five foot v-nose, tandem axel, electric break trailer. I also figured it was about 3,000 lbs. with two sleds on it.

It pulled it. Overall stability was great, tracked straight, wind wouldn't blow me around much, and stopping power was great with the trailer brakes. Don't expect a lot of reserve passing power, and plan on about 65 mph on the highway as you will not be in overdrive. Also as with pulling anything, mileage dropped in half. I was hoping the V-nose would have helped with that, but no.

I love my Tacoma. For everyday use and occasional towing it's great. I didn't pull my sleds but a few of times a year. It was usually up to the cabin for the season, then back home at the end of the season, maybe one additional trip a year. If you're going to pull a lot more than that, I would suggest a bigger truck.

I had always wished Toyota still made the supercharger kit they made for that 4.0 liter. That would have been awesome!

Thanks for the feedback.

I will most likely only be towing a few times a year as well.

#7 Superman

Superman

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 7089 posts
  • Interests:outdoors
  • Sled:‘10 600 TNT, ‘19 FR 146, ‘20 FR 137

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:04 PM

I’ll be in market for a truck also toward end of the year. I was always interested in what  a Toyota can doo, as i would use the truck as every day driving, but pulling a 23’ v nose with 3 sleds in winter. Ive had a Yukon, a burb, an F150, an Escalade, and several Exploders, but will be turning my Fusion ( great milage with my commute) over to my daughter in early 2021.  Input is appreciated. Ive seen a few in parking lots in the UP, but need real input

thx for the post Toe

You know you raised your son right when you start the sleds and he says 'Dad, I love that smell!!<p>If you don't turn around to look at your sled when you walk away, you bought the wrong sled!<br><br>
I partied with Jeff Ross

#8 tundrafreak

tundrafreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • Sled:16 Blizzard 900 Ace, 12 600 X

•    

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:21 PM

I own a 2013 TRD OR since new and tow a EZ Hauler Enclosed 6x12 with V for my work pretty often in Vermont. It tracks pretty well with no issues. The biggest improvement I made having the rear leaf pack redone by a local Spring Shop. The factory ones flatten really fast if you carry any weight. They had TSB out for updating them but they are no different. Look at trucks and how the sag. I had an AAL installed too so now towing and ride with weight sits right. Unloaded their is a small rake. Some guys go with aftermarket packs like Dakars but I told the shop how I use the truck and they matched to my needs. So much better than factory imo. That's one area besides frames Toyota hasn't figured out for some reason.
Get your truck undercoated is all I can say.

Attached Images

• IMG_20190906_181653332_HDR-01.jpeg

#9 Surly1

Surly1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Sled:2016 Freeride

Posted 06 July 2020 - 08:53 AM

I don’t have a bunch of time behind the wheel of the latest Tacoma, but have been able to log a few miles in rentals of them. I personally would recommend seeing if you can hook up your trailer and tow with it. The couple I’ve had as rentals left me very uninspired by the current gen Tacoma. The previous versions were good trucks, but the transmission they used in the latest is garbage in my opinion. They seem very underpowered for the hearing choice of the transmission. When you go to pass a car or even speed up a little, it will downshift. When driving cruising speed it has a feeling of underpowered, until the downshift occurs. All my miles driven have been unloaded, so I would imagine it to be even worse with a load. If you are after a compact truck I would probably look at the competitors in the market. Check out TFL Trucks YouTube channel, they post lots of stuff and most likely have a towing test done of the Tacoma and it’s competition.

I would highly recommend seeing if you can get an extended demo, and make sure it will work for you. Or check with Avis rental and see if they have one you could rent for a couple days (that’s where I’ve had a couple Tacoma’s as rental vehicles).

#10 Toecutter

Toecutter

"The Podiatrist"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3558 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:38 AM

I don’t have a bunch of time behind the wheel of the latest Tacoma, but have been able to log a few miles in rentals of them. I personally would recommend seeing if you can hook up your trailer and tow with it. The couple I’ve had as rentals left me very uninspired by the current gen Tacoma. The previous versions were good trucks, but the transmission they used in the latest is garbage in my opinion. They seem very underpowered for the hearing choice of the transmission. When you go to pass a car or even speed up a little, it will downshift. When driving cruising speed it has a feeling of underpowered, until the downshift occurs. All my miles driven have been unloaded, so I would imagine it to be even worse with a load. If you are after a compact truck I would probably look at the competitors in the market. Check out TFL Trucks YouTube channel, they post lots of stuff and most likely have a towing test done of the Tacoma and it’s competition.

I would highly recommend seeing if you can get an extended demo, and make sure it will work for you. Or check with Avis rental and see if they have one you could rent for a couple days (that’s where I’ve had a couple Tacoma’s as rental vehicles).

Thanks for the input.....I’ve read about the under powering, and transmission comments you made.....thanks !

#11 1Evil55

1Evil55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1950 posts
  • Sled:2007 Blizzard

Posted 06 July 2020 - 01:23 PM

Not personal experience but a buddy has had his for a few years now.  Last summer he went and bought one for his son.  They both do roofing and carry a 12' trailer daily.  

#12 Sportsman1776

Sportsman1776

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Location:Northern Wisconsin 2020 Ski-Doo Renegade X-RS 900 ACE Turbo R
  • Sled:with Expert Package

Posted 06 July 2020 - 01:47 PM

^This.

I have a 2016 Tacoma DCLB TRD Off-Road in the fleet and all I can say is that it is mediocre, at best.  I was looking for something smaller (than a modern full-size) for getting around in the woods and such and I decided the cargo capacity of a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (the Gladiator was not out when I bought it, but I feel those are a bit too small just like the Wrangler version) was too small for my needs, so the Tacoma was a compromise.  I also bought it because of Toyota's durability and reliability, and in that it has been fine.

In my opinion, the drivetrain and transmission calibration is terrible.  It is gutless and way underpowered.  It shifts constantly, even when not towing, and cannot stay in one gear.  It feels like it needs to have AT LEAST another 100 foot pounds of torque.  And yes, I have had it at the dealer and had them look at it and they said everything is "normal".

Other random thoughts:

-the radio knobs and controls are small and suck.  The HVAC and 4WD controls are not the best, either.  When you are at the dealer, go look at the 4Runner interior and controls (which are awesome) and compare them to the Tacoma.  *%@, Toyota?

-The rear springs are soft and if you carry anything around in the box, as I do, it sags.  Add a trailer and it really sags.  I have looked at air bags, but never did it as I am always on the fence about dumping the truck.

-I wanted the best audio system, but I did not want the sunroof as the sunroof eats up too much headroom, which is already lacking in the Tacoma.  You could only get the subwoofer and best audio system in a package with the sunroof, which sucks.

-The cab is small.  Too small.  We frequently use the truck for day hiking, biking, fishing, adventure/exploring trips and with four adults it does not work out great -  you cannot sit four adults comfortably, and you cannot sit adults in the back without moving the front seats uncomfortably forward.  I realize it is not a fullsize, but IMO the third gen should have been about 20% bigger, or halfway between where it is and a Tundra.  Go sit in and adjust the front seat to where you need it and then try to sit in the back seat.  Headroom is really lacking for taller people.

-Consider a long box; the short box is small.

While it is tough to beat Toyota's QDR, which is the main reason I bought it, I am not sure if I would buy a new one right now.  I would seriously look at a Colorado or Canyon.  My eventual plan is to upgrade to a HD Crew Cab (I plow) and either keep and mild build this Tacoma, or find a used Wrangler Unlimited or Gladiator Rubicon for my "woods" truck.

I can answer any questions you have.  I do not have the choice-supportive bias that so many people seem to have about things they buy; I look for flaws and will give my honest opinion.

Edited by Sportsman1776, 06 July 2020 - 05:01 PM.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow

“It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” - Henry Ford

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -  Benjamin Franklin 

Please help keep our trails open! - Keep your sled quiet, stay on the trails and get involved with a club!

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” - Albert Einstein

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

Two is one, one is none, three's a guarantee.

#13 tundrafreak

tundrafreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • Sled:16 Blizzard 900 Ace, 12 600 X

•    

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:20 PM

^This.

I have a 2016 Tacoma DCLB TRD Off-Road in the fleet and all I can say is that it is mediocre, at best. I was looking for something smaller (than a modern full-size) for getting around in the woods and such and I decided the cargo capacity of a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (the Gladiator was not out when I bought it, but I feel those are a bit too small just like the Wrangler version) was too small for my needs, so the Tacoma was a compromise. I also bought it because of Toyota's durability and reliability, and in that it has been fine.

In my opinion, the drivetrain and transmission calibration is terrible. It is gutless and way underpowered. It shifts constantly, even when not towing, and cannot stay in one gear. It feels like it needs to have AT LEAST another 100 foot pounds of torque. And yes, I have had it at the dealer and had them look at it and they said everything is "normal".

Other random thoughts:

-the radio knobs and controls are small and suck. The HVAC and 4WD controls are not the best, either. When you are at the dealer, go look at the 4Runner interior and controls (which are awesome) and compare them to the Tacoma. *%@, Toyota?

-The rear springs are soft and if you carry anything around in the box, as I do, it sags. Add a trailer and it really sags. I have looked at air bags, but never did it as I am always on the fence about dumping the truck.

-I wanted the best audio system, but I did not want the sunroof as the sunroof eats up too much headroom, which is already lacking in the Tacoma. You could only get the subwoofer and best audio system in a package with the sunroof, which sucks.

-The cab is small. Too small. We frequently use the truck for day hiking, biking, fishing, adventure/exploring trips and with four adults it does not work out great - you cannot sit four adults comfortably, and you cannot sit adults in the back without moving the front seats uncomfortably forward. I realize it is not a fullsize, but IMO the third gen should have been about 20% bigger, or halfway between where it is and a Tundra. Go sit in and adjust the front seat to where you need it and then try to sit in the back seat. Headroom is really lacking for taller people.

-Consider a long box; the short box is small.

While it is tough to beat Toyota's QDR, which is the main reason I bought it, I am not sure if I would buy a new one right now. I would seriously look at a Colorado or Canyon. My eventual plan is to upgrade to a HD Crew Cab (I plow) and either keep and mild build this Tacoma, or find a used Wrangler Unlimited or Gladiator Rubicon for my "woods" truck.

I can answer any questions you have. I do not have the choice-supportive bias that so many people seem to have about things they buy; I look for flaws and will give my honest opinion.

Definitely hit all the marks. I test drove a 3GEN after owning two 4.0L V6's 2006 & 2013 and noticed the shifting right off. I know many guys either add the Pedal commander or OVTune or regear. No thanks. I've driven Toyota Trucks since 1987 T100, 1GEN Tundra and pickup/2GEN Tacoma's. My next truck is a going to be a real full size. Gas mpgs pretty much match the Tacoma and it's geared properly from the get go.

#14 SoloSldr

SoloSldr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Sled:None at the moment

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:40 PM

The Child lives at elevation in the Rockies and a couple of the TRD's she looked at the owners were going back to sticks. The 3.5 needs to be 'rowed'. They all missed the 4.0. Honey has a 2016 TRD with an auto and it's fine but she has always shifted her automatics. Small motors and juice trannies just don't mix. The autos are better these days in most makes with less parasitic drag but your still at the mercy of the small motor that wants to be 'up on the cam'. I have a Rubicon with the worst all-time combo, the minivan motor and antique 4-speed with a computer that argues with both of em….

#15 REV-O-LUTION

REV-O-LUTION

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Interests:show truck mods, ride and colect elderly sleds,
    QC trail riding, good laught,
    family, ice cold * buds *
    help people !!.
  • Sled:MACH Z 1000 SDI 06

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:41 PM

i have own a toyota pick up truck few years ago that was build for off road use . it was a beast and really tuff .and surprisingly reliable. my concern is i wounder if they have fixed or found a solution to the pre mature rusting frame issue that they had ??? :unsure:  :unsure:

* LETS GET READY TO   RRRUMBLLLLLE !! *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users