New (to me) Dual-Sport - Klim Motorcycle Gear - Page 2 - General Discussion - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

New (to me) Dual-Sport - Klim Motorcycle Gear

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Harrison

Harrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:PA DCNR Youth Snowmobile Safety Instructor (since 1998), PA State Snowmobile Association Director/VP (2003-13), F-1 (since '89), CART/Champ Car/IndyCar (since '85), fly-fishing for wild trout, reading sled and automotive rags.
  • Sled:'75 T'NT Everest 440E, '20 MXZ TNT 600R

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:16 PM

Update...

Today I passed the Pa DOT knowledge test. Got the first 17 right so didn’t even have to take all 20 ?s. Also passed the vision test.

So now I have my Pa learner’s permit!

Dropped off the bike at the Yammie dealer near the DMV. They came out and looked at and took it for a quick spin around the parking lot. Overall they were amazed at how good of shape it is in and the low mileage for its age. Guy said it looked lowered so they will raise it it back up and crank the rear shock pre-load for me.

However the rear tire won't pass inspection and the front tire is marginal so I will have them both replaced.

Otherwise full first-service (after 12 years no less) to check everything over but based on their initial look they don't think it will need much else.

Interestingly the Yammie dealer where I dropped the bike this AM is about a month out on service and they are generally having trouble and experiencing delays because of the difficulty in getting parts because of COVID.

Told ‘em to take their time and service their riding customers first. I have time.

Motorcycle Safety Course in Westminster, MD at the end of August next. If I get the bike back before I go to the course I will head up to the local HS parking lot and fart around with it up there.

Scheduled my skills test on 10/28 which of course is after the MSF class and that should give me sufficient time to hone my new (hopefully) riding skills.

Pre-ordered a pair of the Unlimited Straight Stretch denim jeans and back-ordered a Marrakesh jacket directly from Klim. The jacket won’t be here until next year but the pants should be here sooner.

Plan to order a pair of the K Fifty 1 Riding Jeans and the F5 Koroyd Helmet ECE/DOT next year from Culater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Harrison, 21 July 2020 - 06:11 PM.

1975 T'NT Everest 440E w/1800 miles (restoration initiated 1/15/18, complete 10/15/2018)
2020 MXZ TNT 600R E-TEC with 1975 T'NT-style retro graphics
2008 Yamaha XT 250 Dual-Sport Motorcycle w/4977 miles

#17 600dooagain

600dooagain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Sled:'17 switchback sp

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:34 AM

Congrats!  But honestly i'd try another dealer.  Dont just "crank" the preload, set it for proper sag(front and rear), just like your sled.  Other than changing tires id do all the service yourself,  there is nothing to those things.  Change the oil, clean and oil the air filter, clean and lube chain, clean the carb, bleed through fresh brake fluid, lube the pivot points, done.    

#18 Harrison

Harrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:PA DCNR Youth Snowmobile Safety Instructor (since 1998), PA State Snowmobile Association Director/VP (2003-13), F-1 (since '89), CART/Champ Car/IndyCar (since '85), fly-fishing for wild trout, reading sled and automotive rags.

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the comments.

“Crank the pre-load” were my words not the service manager’s. He simply wrote in the repair order that the person riding it was of large stature.

And that ain’t no lie...6’ 3” and 280+.

The service manager also stated that it appeared the bike had been optimized for a much smaller person so the “large stature” comment should ensure the bike is configured and optimized for me.

I have neither the time, expertise, energy, or interest in performing my own maintenance.

And in this particular case, I am almost certain the bike hasn’t been back to a a Yamaha dealer since it was new 12 years ago.

So my goal in taking it to the Yamaha dealer was to have everything checked over by a qualified Yamaha Gold-certified tech and in effect “zero out” the maintenance so the bike is in tip-top shape when I start riding it.

1975 T'NT Everest 440E w/1800 miles (restoration initiated 1/15/18, complete 10/15/2018)

#19 Harrison

Harrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:33 PM

Out riding the bike for the first time in the local HS parking lot...

Runs very well and only took a little time to get the brakes, clutch, shift lever and throttle coordination down. Not great at it yet but the bike rewards you for getting the timing down correctly.

Felt comfortable enough after an hour or so to take it out on the public roads around my home.

Turning is fun. LOVE the leaning sensation.
This bike sounds a little bit like my old 400 HO Outlander and it pulls similarly also. Had it up to ~60 mph and it was still accelerating albeit much more slowly.

1st gear is very short so an immediate upshift is necessary when accelerating from a stop. 5th gear seems a little long and it feels to me like you better be going no less than about 45 mph to use it.

Overall the bike handles and rides quite well. Power is fine, at least for now.

Initial impression, at least so far, is that riding this thing is not quite as much fun as my ‘20 MXZ TNT 600R but more fun than the Can-Am ATV I had from 2007 -2012.

And at least I didn’t hit anything or drop or lay the bike down in my first day of riding so I guess that’s all +...

5522c82fb77142e0953d8137fbc434ae.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users