#31 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 24880 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:36 PM

Having all Girls it's a learning curve on projects but all of mine can change there own oil , fix a Flat tire and change belts on the riding mower's . The middle girl enjoys working on projects from a Pergola we built from the ground up to the graphics on her sled ...

The life I wanted. There are advantages to working with women on projects requiring physical work like carrying something. I have an easier time with women than men. I find that most if not all guys that I have worked with want to carry twice as much as needed, go twice as fast, and they wear out twice as fast too lol  While watching Holmes on Homes I would think that Pinky (Corin Ames) could have been my daughter. I linked the name to her resume as it gave me a smile to see that she put Carpentry at #5 of the 24 skills listed. I am willing to bet that she is most proud of her work in carpentry and pulling her weight as she did a lot of the physical laboring. I would have loved to work with my girls for school, carpentry, engines, taken pictures of her to going to prom and having all of the father of the bride duties. I also linked her nickname to her pictures. My little girl would be a red head, hence the bat I referred to in a prior post. I bet Mike Homes needed to apply restraints to his workmen lol

Below is my latest project done with the help of a few women. It is a support for netting over a patch of blueberries to keep the birds away. The cedar pickets came from the tops of a my dad's hedge that he decided to cut down in half. I removed the front passenger seat and cut the pickets to 8'4" to fit, then drove them down a couple of feet on a slight outward angle to allow tension of the close line.

20200630_151546 - small.jpg

20200630_151607 - small.jpg

#32 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 24880 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:01 PM

My dad was an aircraft mechanic and while my brothers pursued that line of work, I did the electronics/programmer line and became a network manager.   But I never forgot my roots and the things my dad taught me.  I still use many of the tools he left behind to tear down an engine and put it back together.  I surprised my brother a few years ago by rebuilding a 380 motor completely, including crank work, without his help.  hehe.   

now-a-days, I rebuild just about anything, and I've always give credit to my greatest teacher, my dad.

Over the years I have noticed a surprising resemblance. I spent 3 years in highschool with electronics then went to college to pursue a degree in Pure&Applied Science to reach Engineering. I got bored with the school system of the time and left for manual labour, then returned to college when I heard there was a challenging network/programming program. The cost was high and they openly provided two guarantees: 50% of the class would fail, and the graduates would have a four month stage. I got lucky with a paying stage which landed me a career in the techo industry.

Have you ever heard of Clair Patterson? If you haven't, I linked his name to a very-very long article that I took all of last evening to read through it. I linked it to your post, but I have found that that the guys on DooTalk are remarkably clever and multi-facet. I know this because I follow closely and over the years I have gotten the pleasure to speak to a lot of DooTalk members. I can attest there is a wealth of brilliant minds and they are right here. When you reach Edmund Muskie, think of me as Muskie when I first joined DooTalk and focused on my own Kehoe. I was into it just like Muskie, but I was also just as clueless. It wasn't until four months later (Saturday morning 8am on Feb 18th of 2012) that I realized we had our own Patterson. It then took 3 years of deprogramming from Kehoe to allow for more Patterson type work to seep in and learn from my own experience. It was a long road. Today I am fortunate to know a lot more Patterson types to help me along.

#33 djm

djm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13609 posts
  • Sled:09 700HO TNT, 11 Summit 770HO, 850 Sum X

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:32 AM

The life I wanted. There are advantages to working with women on projects requiring physical work like carrying something. I have an easier time with women than men. I find that most if not all guys that I have worked with want to carry twice as much as needed, go twice as fast, and they wear out twice as fast too lol  While watching Holmes on Homes I would think that Pinky (Corin Ames) could have been my daughter. I linked the name to her resume as it gave me a smile to see that she put Carpentry at #5 of the 24 skills listed. I am willing to bet that she is most proud of her work in carpentry and pulling her weight as she did a lot of the physical laboring. I would have loved to work with my girls for school, carpentry, engines, taken pictures of her to going to prom and having all of the father of the bride duties. I also linked her nickname to her pictures. My little girl would be a red head, hence the bat I referred to in a prior post. I bet Mike Homes needed to apply restraints to his workmen lol

Below is my latest project done with the help of a few women. It is a support for netting over a patch of blueberries to keep the birds away. The cedar pickets came from the tops of a my dad's hedge that he decided to cut down in half. I removed the front passenger seat and cut the pickets to 8'4" to fit, then drove them down a couple of feet on a slight outward angle to allow tension of the close line.

attachicon.gif20200630_151546 - small.jpg

attachicon.gif20200630_151607 - small.jpg

Nothing like fresh blue berries!  They keep the mind young!  

#34 nm9stheham

nm9stheham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Sled:GT 600 ACE

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:04 PM

My son and I traveled over 500 miles to pick some new scaffolding frames, bracing, and related parts yesterday. Spent 2 hours today putting up 2 stages, and then switched off to building walkboards to put up on top of the 3rd stage, which will be at about 19' AGL. This is all to get to a high section of the roof to start working Monday on replacing some damaged roof decking.

I learned a ton about working with my hands from my dad and went a lot further in many ways, particularly in cars and engines. But he gave me a great start in my career, which was his too: radio systems electrnoics and engineering. I have taught my son a ton now, and especially what my dad often said: "Learn to work with your hands and you will never starve." My dad was 13 at the time of the '29 Wall Street Crash so he knew all about working.

#35 gadejethro

gadejethro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Sled:2019 Renegade 900T Enduro

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:49 PM

Finished project :)

Oooh, that's a nice pergola. Not like the junk you buy prefab. Nicely done.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

#36 smurfy71

smurfy71

Can I offer you a sarcastic comment?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17649 posts
  • Sled:04 600HO SDI, 05 MXZ 500ss

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:18 AM

Finished project :)

You went wrong somewhere, that sled is the wrong colour.

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys

2004 600HO SDI
2005 MXZ 500ss
94 MX 470

I have both the 2004 and 2005 service manuals in pdf, ask for a link if you need them.  No longer have the 2005, someone I gave the link to deleted it from my cloud drive, thanks.
Nun replacement (service bulletin)

#37 DGZRT

DGZRT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Sled:1997 ZRT 600, still my favorite !

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:48 PM

I have a yellow one on Backup lol 😂

Attached Images

• 6865D54A-A639-43C5-A1B1-2E395C2D7361.jpeg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users