Help me choose a Sled - Page 2 - REV Chassis - Performance and Trail Models - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Help me choose a Sled

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 smurfy71

smurfy71

Can I offer you a sarcastic comment?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17956 posts
  • Sled:04 600HO SDI, 05 MXZ 500ss

Posted 18 June 2020 - 08:55 AM

The guy said the engine was long blocked by the dealer two years ago so I would assume they would have done the crank update. And its within that price range.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Does he have paperwork to prove it?  I don't trust people.

2004 600HO SDI
2005 MXZ 500ss
94 MX 470

I have both the 2004 and 2005 service manuals in pdf, ask for a link if you need them.  No longer have the 2005, someone I gave the link to deleted it from my cloud drive, thanks.
Nun replacement (service bulletin)

#17 Shak92

Shak92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Sled:97 Formula 583 / 98 Formula Deluxe 500

Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:32 PM

Maybe I should wait for a bit until I see a renegade or something with a 600 SDI. Obviously I wouldn't be able to ride it for a few months.

#18 RVJ

RVJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Sled:2005 mxz renegade X 600 sdi

Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:57 PM

From the type of riding you plan to do, I think a 600 renegade would be a good pick. The 600 sdi HO is very noticeably faster than the formula 500. My brother used to have a 583 and I would totally leave him in the dust. I have a 1.75 inch track on mine, but the 1.25 should be fine around edmonton. If you think you might be taking the sled to the mountains, then you might consider an 800 summit with a 2"+ track, but for around your area I feel a renegade would be a better choice.

If you're patient and keep looking something should come up. Look for something with low km if possible. As said earlier in this thread, a sled with 7,000 km on it may need some work unless it has been meticulously maintained. Shocks would be ready for replacement or rebuilding if they haven't already been replaced ( and they're not cheap). 

In 2015 I picked up a 2005 Renegade X with about 700 km on it for $5,000. a guy bought it for his wife and she hardly put any miles on it. it's been a fantastic sled. I have about 4,000 km on it now and plan to keep it as a spare when I get my new one this fall. 

I've seen these types of sleds with low km (3,500 km or less) come up for $3,500. 

Keep looking and good luck!

#19 Shak92

Shak92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:58 PM

From the type of riding you plan to do, I think a 600 renegade would be a good pick. The 600 sdi HO is very noticeably faster than the formula 500. My brother used to have a 583 and I would totally leave him in the dust. I have a 1.75 inch track on mine, but the 1.25 should be fine around edmonton. If you think you might be taking the sled to the mountains, then you might consider an 800 summit with a 2"+ track, but for around your area I feel a renegade would be a better choice.

If you're patient and keep looking something should come up. Look for something with low km if possible. As said earlier in this thread, a sled with 7,000 km on it may need some work unless it has been meticulously maintained. Shocks would be ready for replacement or rebuilding if they haven't already been replaced ( and they're not cheap).

In 2015 I picked up a 2005 Renegade X with about 700 km on it for $5,000. a guy bought it for his wife and she hardly put any miles on it. it's been a fantastic sled. I have about 4,000 km on it now and plan to keep it as a spare when I get my new one this fall.

I've seen these types of sleds with low km (3,500 km or less) come up for $3,500.

Keep looking and good luck!

True i have seen renegades with a 600 sdi pop up in that price range.

#20 RVJ

RVJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Sled:2005 mxz renegade X 600 sdi

Posted 20 June 2020 - 12:22 PM

Correction; I have 6,400 km on the sled now. The odometer is in miles (4,000). Just sent the shocks out to get rebuilt this spring. They were getting pretty rough. I couldn't keep up with the others. This sled still looks pretty close to showroom condition. The previous owner kept it inside an enclosed trailer. I don't have an enclosed trailer but I always keep a cover on it when not in use. 

Picture to follow

Attached Images

• IMG_20200415_170514.jpg

#21 Shak92

Shak92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:07 PM

Decided against looking at any summits and to hold off until a renegade came up on Kijiji.

That paid off as today I came across a 2007 Renegade X with a 600 SDI on Kijiji. They are asking $4500. Might try to take a look next chance I get.

#22 Ktm Fanatic

Ktm Fanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Sled:2000 mxz 600 2004 600 summit HO

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:15 PM

Decided against looking at any summits and to hold off until a renegade came up on Kijiji.

That paid off as today I came across a 2007 Renegade X with a 600 SDI on Kijiji. They are asking $4500. Might try to take a look next chance I get.

Why would you want a Gade over a Summit? Alberta has some prime mountain riding. Guarantee you will want to hit the mountains in a few years after you get board. 141 or 151 summit with 2 inch paddles will do everything. Most of the gung ho Gade dudes are flatlanders.

Edited by Ktm Fanatic, 25 June 2020 - 10:19 PM.

#23 800PTEK

800PTEK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Sled:2018 MXZ XRS, Triple rev, Summit XRS MOD

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:59 PM

I live in Alberta too. I had an 800 renegade for riding at home and a summit for when I went to the mountains, both rev chassis. My first trip to the mountains was on my renegade actually. Both sleds work in both situations but each have their advantages.

I really loved the renegade for an all around sled with a 136 X 1.75 track. It did decent in the mountains for what it was. Having it the bar most of the time to try and keep ground speed up was key. At 260lbs plus gear it wasn't a fan of going slow without trenching till it was stuck. It worked awesome in the ditches and fields and would still hit 160 KPH in the right conditions. Easily do 100 KPH in fields, rivers and down the ditches.  Could ride 99% of the year with no issues of over heating. Handled trails very well with the wider stance and good through the bumps with the rear suspension and jumping approaches. After Ian at Monster Performance did the shocks it was incredible the difference.

The summit does fine if there is decent snow or it will overheat because of the short cooler on them. Scratchers help but still have to have decent speed behind you to work. When the wife would ride my summit at home she would normally make it about 10-15 minutes before she would get close to over heating because of her slower riding pace. Gotta love the added temp gauge for that. The narrow stance does make it more playful in the snow for carving and getting on one ski. Due to my size I find the summit suspension very soft, the renegade did fade too as I beat on it but better out of the box. With some mods the summit will shine in the mountains and will be right with the XP/XM sleds. A couple more mods and they will be there with the G4 sleds too but then they start loosing their Alberta abilities. 

It sounds weird to most but I find that the full length renegade cooler works better even with a track extension than a summit with the proper cooler. So an extended renegade with a summit skid and a-arms might be the perfect combo for you. My triple swapped rev renegade (stock renegade cooler with a 174") runs cooler down the trail than my 2007 880 bigbore with stock cooler (159 tunnel with a 162" track) and that both with scratchers. It works noticeably better that I have considered putting a spare renegade cooler into the summit.

I also have a set of new summit a-arms, 162 X 2.5" challenger extreme track and a 159 summit xrs skid with a big wheel kit if you decide to go that way. Probably would want the 800 engine for that tho. 600CC engine may give different results tho, all my sleds have been the 800.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, don't always remember to come back check. 

#24 skrenegade600

skrenegade600

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Sled:2005 Renegade 600 HO

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:00 PM

If you find a summit in your price range-buy it.

I have a renegade 600 with a few mods including a 1.75” track but honestly a summit would be better. I thought the do it all nature of the renegade would be perfect, but out west, we don’t do trails. It’s fields, tree lines and blown in ditches and trips to the mountains when time and $$ allow. Even in blown in fields and ditches you will ride the sled like Summit-steer with your body-not the bars.

Trust me, once you start learning to lean that thing over there’s no going back! It’s the extra wide MXZ ski stance that holds you back on a renegade and the inability to go with a bigger lug track. A 600 Summit is a blast and usually much cheaper than an 800 but your weight might be a factor. I’m 145 lbs. which helps my hang with the 800’s to about 90% when hp takes over. But, the 600 lower power makes it more forgiving and easier to learn on. More power is always nice but sounds like your just learning and more isn’t always better.

The extra tippy nature of a summit sucks on trails and the lack of skid wheels means use your scratchers, but if that’s the 10% of riding that gets you into a play area don’t sweat it. Bottom line, I think I ride where and how you intend to and I would buy a Summit the next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 Thedoogovroom

Thedoogovroom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Sled:2004 ski doo rev 800 x

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:12 PM

I’d go for the 600 summit still plenty of fun and more reliable 🤘
My 800 went pretty fast compared to the 600’s

#26 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 25221 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:41 PM

If you find a summit in your price range-buy it.

I have a renegade 600 with a few mods including a 1.75” track but honestly a summit would be better. I thought the do it all nature of the renegade would be perfect, but out west, we don’t do trails. It’s fields, tree lines and blown in ditches and trips to the mountains when time and $$ allow. Even in blown in fields and ditches you will ride the sled like Summit-steer with your body-not the bars.

Trust me, once you start learning to lean that thing over there’s no going back! It’s the extra wide MXZ ski stance that holds you back on a renegade and the inability to go with a bigger lug track. A 600 Summit is a blast and usually much cheaper than an 800 but your weight might be a factor. I’m 145 lbs. which helps my hang with the 800’s to about 90% when hp takes over. But, the 600 lower power makes it more forgiving and easier to learn on. More power is always nice but sounds like your just learning and more isn’t always better.

The extra tippy nature of a summit sucks on trails and the lack of skid wheels means use your scratchers, but if that’s the 10% of riding that gets you into a play area don’t sweat it. Bottom line, I think I ride where and how you intend to and I would buy a Summit the next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Precisely. Ski stance has everything to do with trail vs off-trail. I learned it the same way you did, but out East lol  Funny thing about off-trail, it typically conjures the riding in Colorado or Alberta, yet there is an enormous amount of off-trail riding all along the snow belt from the Pacific to Atlantic shores. The same rules apply form the Rockies to the Saskatchewan plains or the Chic-Choc mountains.

Air/Fuel Ratio for two and four strokes
Air/Fuel Ratio for 1200 with boost
Air/Fuel Ratio is measured through emissions
Wideband and EGT
Wideband readings of Air/Fuel Ratio on a two stroke
600 SDI MY2004 Lean/Hot spot running 6900-7000 rpm @ 40-45% Throttle Opening
800R Cranking Compression
800R Oil Injection / Premix combo
800R Turbo?
900 ACE Turbo - muffler turning red hot
1200 4-TEC Mapping
1200 4-TEC MY 2009 to 2011 Fuel Line issues that could cause a fire
Batteries
Belt Blowers: Overview of UPMICHIGANDER's experience
BUDS 3.3.0 won't connect to SDI
BUDS not connecting to HO or SDI - Try a CanDoo
CVT efficiency - BlueMax
Deep snow intake for XP chassis
Diagnoses
E-TEC 600HO Clutching
E-TEC Oil Pump
E-TEC Dial-A-Jet
E-TEC Engine Management
E-TEC Stator fault codes P1562 or P1563
E-TEC Capacitor Charge Hold Test and Residual Voltage Test
Fuel Issues: Could new Ester type oxygenated additives be deteriorating the Fuel Sender Grommet?
Fuel pump and regulator replacement for ACE, E-TEC and SDI
Gasoline quality and storage
Bad Gas for a Two Stroke - Is it a Myth ?
G4 Clutch Alignment, Engine Movement, Sheave Runout and Clutching
GNR CVT Alignment for the G4
Grip N Rip Clutch Alignment testing
G4 850 Throttle Jerkiness solved with clutching
G4 850 Snappy throttle/clutch engagement
G4 850 pDrive tech - A question of Engineering
G4 850 Tuned Pipe @ 12.6 lbs and Muffler @ 15.4 lbs vs 800R and 800RE muffler weight
Pictures - How to resize and upload to DooTalk
Pipe Pressure testing on a dyno
Pipe Pressure testing from LRD (#1) and (#2)
Pipe Pressure testing results from BRP
Oil versus Fuel consumption
Power at the Crankshaft vs Track - BlueMax
Power Curves: 600 HOE (E-TEC)
Power Curves: 600 vs 800 vs 850 vs 1000 vs 1200
Power Curves: 1000 vs 800 vs 600
Power curves: 800RE 2010.5 to 2016 vs 2016.5 850
Quebec/NY State border crossing
REV Gen1 Gauge Display stuck on "SCALE"
REV Gen1 Volt and Temp Gauge install
REV Gen1 electrical connectors for sensors and MPEM (Multi Purpose Engine Module)
Seafoam for E-TEC injectors
Shortblock or Rebuild?
Ski-Doo Snowmobile Tech Training
Stator testing for E-TEC using a T harness/Bridge
Stator testing for 1200 4-TEC
Stator replacement for a 1200 4-TEC
Suspension Adjustment
Triples - Coolant Pump Assembly
Y-Pipe bolts loosening fix

#27 sledhead2013

sledhead2013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Sled:2019 Summit SP 146, 2018 Summit X 154

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:38 AM

It all depends on how you use it. Coming from the guy who had a short track 121" then went to a 137" then a 146" then a 154", I am a big fan of Summits. What you loose on the trail, you gain back tenfold when riding in technical and deep snow. I also had a 600 HO SDI 2007 XRS that was a blast and very reliable. I had it for about 7 years. Wouldn't hesitate to take it north ever. I would get the track long enough to get you through your deepest day and work backwards. My vote would be the Summit 600 144" or a similar one with fewer miles. Great power plant and nice mid length sled. I don't think I'll ever have a sled with <2" lug again. Here is me trying to do Summit things on a 2007 XRS with race valved shocks and a 1.75" snocross track. It worked but so did I.  :D

Attached Images

• 29136558_1838682366165872_2482449822452285440_o.jpg

Edited by sledhead2013, 07 August 2020 - 11:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users