#1 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6247 posts
  • Sled:2015 Expedion SE 1200

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:23 AM

I get that people here will instinctively say that the Can Am is the best machine out there, but is that so? I have always heard real good thing about Polaris Side by Sides.

I was considering a small tractor to do snow removal and light road maintenance, but I realized I could probably get a side by side to do the same things for about the same money and have an ORV too.

Defender Max looks like what I was thinking of from CanAm or like the Ranger XP 900 from Polaris.

Any other brands to consider? I wont buy the Chinese crap.

#2 2006LJ

2006LJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Sled:Expedition Sport Rev Gen4

Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:20 AM

I'm running Can Am quads now but I have had a couple of side by sides in the past. My first one was a Yamaha Rhino 450 my second was a Polaris Ranger 800 XP. Both were set up with plows and on the Ranger I had a set of tracks. I sold the Rhino because it didn't have enough top speed for me. I bought the Ranger for more top speed and to be able to take a third passenger. The Yamaha was far and away a better plow unit without running tracks on either machine. Tracks pretty much make your machine unstoppable no matter what it is. I felt the locking front diff on the Yamaha made the difference. In snow the Polaris 4wd system seemed to always be hunting as to whether or not to be in 4wd. With tracks however that was not an issue. I did have some charging system issues on the Ranger. There was also a transmission issue that after much prodding Polaris covered. The fit and finish on the Polaris was not as good either. I really liked the Yamaha and had I bought the 660 from the start I probably would have kept it. My wife decided that she was tired of being a passenger so now we have 2 can am quads with power steering. We went back to the 450 in the quads as they are capable of 55 mph if one wants to go that fast. I don't plow anymore so I can't speak to that but I have had them in some pretty deep snow and the visco qe performed very well. I don't have a picture of the Rhino. I am very satisfied with my Can Am quads but if I were looking for a new side by side I personally would start with Honda and Yamaha. As far a as performance in non snow conditions for my riding the all performed well. I have sleds too but the reason I bring up performance in snow conditions is that where I live there is the transition from fall to winter and winter to spring. e3472f5a5d136a9cb9aba5d59d08ab5f.jpg15d75ca259bc16bc4017b38ac70ab639.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

#3 tcnomad

tcnomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Sled:2014 Gade 900 Ace, 2012 TNT Ace

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:06 AM

I run a Can-Am Defender HD10 Max , Cab year round, going on 1800 miles in a year with zero issues. Have the Apache track system for the winter as well a  Western full Hyd. plow system, It's just unstoppable.

I traded a Can-Am Commander in for it. The Commander was a PITA to service, oil change was a hr 11/2 ordeal, not so on the Defender muck easy to service including belt change which I did after 1500 miles.

It great on gas and hauls "edit for bad language" when needed just about the perfect all round play and work machine. The 4x4 works well and I've only locked in the rear Diff once.    

#4 6100D

6100D

I Like Beer

• DOOCrew
  • 2537 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling,Hunting,Fishing,Beer,My Wife, not in that order though>>>
  • Sled:2020 XRS 900T Unlimited Manta Green

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:33 AM

Only thing I would question here is whether you have a bigger lot to plow and how much snow do you receive a year seeing you are in du UP.  Then I would go for a small utility tractor with a snow blower to get that snow up and out of the way.  Just depends on your lot size and how much room you need to remove your snow. you could also get a lawn mower with it also with a bucket and many other attachments if need to be.  Well then we are talking more money then also.  But depends on all your own personal needs>>>>>>>personally I would shy away from Polaris cause to many recalls>>>>>Been their done that>>>>I have 2 defenders now, One at our farm a HD 10 and a HD 8 at our other property>>>>I do not have any snow plows on them cause of the area we need to clean in the winter>>>>Use a snow plow on a skid steer at the farm and a snow blower at our other property>>>>Both serve the purpose great>>>>>>

" Age is merely the number of years the world has been enjoying you."

"If you haven't grown up by age 60,You don't have to."

#5 Betsy30

Betsy30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling,Dualsport bikes, Atv's and camping
  • Sled:2019 XRS Renegade 850

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:49 AM

If you want power and speed buy Can am or Polaris. If you want a machine that doesn't require a lot of maintenance buy a Honda or Yamaha. That is my opinion.

We had 2 can am ATV's and the maintenance and up keep was unreal , lots of power but not worth it for what we were doing.

I have heard the defenders are a great unit if buying can am.

In the end my wife sold her ATV and we bought a Kubota 26hp tractor for doing yard work and plowing. We did keep my 650 outlander max with the 2up seat just in case we wanted to take a ride together. We rarely never use it now and wonder why we still have it.

Good luck on making a decision as there are lots of options out there.  

#6 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6247 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:49 AM

I am outside of the snow belt, but you can get a snow blower for a side by side, and I might.

I am looking at an Deere x739 if I go with a "tractor", and dumping my current riding mower. the slightly larger, heavier duty SCUTs don't have a tight enough turning radious for mowing my property, and I dont want to add deisel to my mix. I have thought of just getting a snow blower for my current mower, but the transmission in it is not up to dirt work.

I am not interested in getting a loader for whatever I end up with. I am looking for something smaller than could handle a useful loader.

the local Yamaha and Honda dealers left some years back. not sure where the next closest is.

Edited by groo, 15 June 2020 - 11:52 AM.

#7 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6247 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 03:22 PM

I guess I could get a quad and save something like $6k

#8 Go Fast or Go Home

Go Fast or Go Home

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 7364 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling and ATVs
    Boating
    Traveling
    Family and friends
  • Sled:12 1200 Gade---(3) 14 1200x Gades

Posted 15 June 2020 - 05:48 PM

May want to go the Can Am sister site.

Lot's of knowledgeable people over there.

Don~

#9 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27311 posts
  • Sled:'19 850X, Outlander 650XT, & Defender XT

Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:47 PM

I've been real happy with my Defender. One of our hunting guys has a Ranger, it's ok but not for me.

The Honda transmission is overly complicated IMO, and I've seen issues with them.

With all that said, none of them are junk. Take a look at a CFMoto if you can. Buddies Dad has one, it's not used hard but its been good to him.

The Kawis get good reviews too.

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. 

No Need to Freeze-buy a set of these! http://www.coldguards.com/

#10 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6247 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:34 PM

I've been real happy with my Defender. One of our hunting guys has a Ranger, it's ok but not for me.

The Honda transmission is overly complicated IMO, and I've seen issues with them.

With all that said, none of them are junk. Take a look at a CFMoto if you can. Buddies Dad has one, it's not used hard but its been good to him.

The Kawis get good reviews too.

CFMoto is PURE mainland China. Hard pass.

#11 Rowedoo

Rowedoo

cool beans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28482 posts
  • Interests:any power sports,huntin and campin
  • Sled:old fart's sled -2006 gtx 600 sdi

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:42 PM

IMG_2550.JPG This is mine .  B)

When life gives you lemons...You make hard Lemonade.

#12 74Craig

74Craig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22072 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling,craft beers,beer,
    Racing
  • Sled:2016 Cross Treck 6000,2013 Grand Touring

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:56 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_2550.JPGThis is mine . B)

sharp rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 Rowedoo

Rowedoo

cool beans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28482 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 05:11 PM

sharp rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks bud......And think I want to upgrade .  :huh:

#14 bullwhipman

bullwhipman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1273 posts
  • Sled:Ski-Doo's and Scorpion's

Posted 16 June 2020 - 05:39 PM

One complaint I hear from everyone that has a Can Am is that they are HOT!

#15 Rowedoo

Rowedoo

cool beans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28482 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:01 PM

One complaint I hear from everyone that has a Can Am is that they are HOT!

That's why I have A/C......I've driven the (hot seat rig's) and I'm not doing it any more .  B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users