2009 MXZ X 600 Etec & MXZ Adrenaline 600 Etec Preventive Maintenan - REV-XP / XS Chassis - Performance Trail 120-129 Inch Models - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

2009 MXZ X 600 Etec & MXZ Adrenaline 600 Etec Preventive Maintenan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeg11010

Jeg11010

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Sled:2009 Skidoo MXZ Adrenaline 600 ETEC

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:06 PM

Picked up 2 09s last fall. Both 600 etecs. With such a short winter in the Northeast, I only put about 100 miles on the Adrenaline (now 5100 miles) and 350 miles on the X (now 2500 miles). All Vermont trail riding. I don't have any maintenance history on either sled but they are in good shape and ran fine for me since I've had them. Currently they are fogged and stored in an enclosed trailer with the belts removed, stabil in the gas, oil topped off, and the batteries hooked up to tenders. I put brand new belts on them when I bought them. Later in the fall, I plan on changing the chaincase oil as well as new spark plugs, hyfax, and possibly new carbides in both sleds. The suspension is pretty beat in both of them as well. I am going to send the X suspension out to Monster Performance for a full rebuild. I don't think it's worth buying aftermarket or rebuilt shocks for the Adrenaline considering it's mileage and value. Ian told me I'd be looking at about $1k for a rebuilt set of OEMS and a bit higher for KYB. Furthermore it is a backup sled and only gets ridden when I have a guest. Is there anything that I should be worried about with either of these sleds at this point? I see a lot of people talking about cleaning the RAVES. Top end rebuild on the Adrenaline? Clutch? Anything that I mentioned above not necessary?  Take them to a dealer for a more thorough inspection? Any input would be appreciated. These are the first Etecs I've owned. Thanks for your help.

#2 12/3

12/3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts
  • Interests:Sledding, boating and cottage life.
  • Sled:11, 600 etec, 14 &15 900's, 69 Olympic

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:54 PM

From the maintenance that you have described you are well on your way to reducing a trail side breakdown.

As for rebuilding or "refreshing" ....my theory is to leave it until the compression is low or it blows.  Leaving an engine sealed from the factory is usually the best approach if you are looking for a stock sled. 

I wouldn't worry about a RAVE cleaning until you hit 8000 miles or so.....they usually burn fairly clean with full synthetic oil. 

Don't forget to check your idler wheel bearings when you change the hyfax and blow your clutches out with compressed air on a regular basis.  The primary will accumulate carbon dust and prevent rollers from moving freely.  If you're up for a small challenge a good cleaning of the primary is easy to do and will visually ensure that all parts are in working order.  Lots of videos on line for taking them apart.  Dynamo Joe is a clutch guru if you want to check his videos out.    

• djm likes this

#3 mwarren

mwarren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Backyard ski/snowboard hill complete with homemade rope tow, Maple sugaring, Motocross, Anything snowmobile related and Antique cars just to name a few...
  • Sled:2013 MXZ TNT 800 etec

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:12 PM

I would replace the rollers in the secondary clutch.  I have a 2011 600 etec (with 3000 miles) and a 2013 800 etec with 800 miles.  Both sleds are ridden conservatively and both had the clutch rollers break this winter.  Once they break, the secondary won't close all the way and causes quite a bit of a problem if you are out on the trail when it happens.  It's not a super hard job to do, you just have to take your time and have a few special tools.  The parts themselves are not very expensive.  Good luck, the 600 etec is a great sled!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users