#1 Zack Watters

Zack Watters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Sled:2003 MXZ Rev 600HO

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:35 PM

As a disclaimer, I have tried researching this myself and have not came across much. I plan to keep looking into this, but I would enjoy hearing your guy's feedback. I had have heard of talk about turbos being added on snowmobiles since I started getting into Sledding about 2 years ago. Recently I have pondered the idea of putting a turbo on my Reliable "Old" 600 H.O. SDI Rev. its an 03 but with the "Beaver Tail" delete. I thought it would be fun to add a turbo to that since it would give me a summer project that posed a challenge, that sounds fun. in addition, it would add a little extra oomph to the sled. 

Where I am at right now:

I do not want to risk the reliability of my rev, especially since the only current issue is the possibility of crankshaft bearings going out. I will be monitoring that but I thought if I took on the turbo project I might as well give it the best odds that i can for succeeding. In a perfect world, let us say that I have a freshly rebuilt 600 H.O. with its only issue being my interest in not letting it be  :D. In a perfect world i would also have all of the parts on this sled which could be modified if need beThe fabrication side of things should not be an issue though. I know that turbos can work with carbs, it is just vastly more finicky than EFI systems. Also also, the lowest I would go in fuel quality is 90/91, I always run premium gas and i do not want to have to mix up "race fuel"

What I have Read:

* SPI made a turbo kit

* It would be recommended to go with a low compression head for the cylinders

* I need a pressure regulator somewhere

* I may need a different fuel pump

* 4d turbos allow you more time to shut off your sled before it reaches "Detonation"

* 2d turbos do not allow you that safety net

* Some guy installed a thing that when his engine started to run too lean, it shut off the engine (more of an insurance measure

* You need a "Blow Through" carburetor or need to modify your carb to be "Blow Through"

* Butterfly Valves do or do not work for turbos

* You have to weld up an air box ( Im curious about what all the tubes to it do )

* Anything above 4 lbs of boost is dangerous to your engine

* some turbos need an oil pump (can this run off of the oil pump that is "behind" the engine? the one on the lower block )

* supposedly the exhaust pipe can cause some issues with the turbo since it has the pressure waves?

* Turbos can cause carbs to run too rich at low RPMs and too lean at high RPMs (is there a fix? another pump? or a valve of some sort?)

I do not want to add big bored 600 cylinders, 700 cylinders, 800 cylinders, or big bore 800, I want to be able to say that I have a turbocharged 600 rev  :D I also do not want to rely on constantly buying Nitros containers. Topics on turbos for older sleds seem to have been dead since 2015 at the latest. Any feedback is appreciated, even if it is "have your cylinders Bored out and have them replanted" 

Thank You!

Edited by Zack Watters, 29 May 2020 - 10:53 PM.

#2 Zack Watters

Zack Watters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:05 PM

I saw there was some feedback through my email, but it is not popping up on here :/ 

ill talk to the site people, sorry guys, i appreciate the responses tho, keep them coming! I am happy to hear that SDI makes a rev slightly easier to turbo  :D compared to other sleds that have carbs that is :D  I just saw on my badge that my rev is a sport model, idk if that changes anything, but I know it does have the SDI. Does the sport tag just clarify the "new" body style? i thought the "MXZ" or "rev" part clarified that, but i may be mistaken :D

Edited by Zack Watters, 02 June 2020 - 09:06 PM.

#3 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 25221 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:00 PM

Maybe the poster got smart and deleted his post(s). Playing with turbo 2S is a gamble. Note the first oem turbo 2S was an 850 with TBI. Prior to the 850 the SDI and E-TEC were a fueless base.

Air/Fuel Ratio for two and four strokes
Air/Fuel Ratio for 1200 with boost
Air/Fuel Ratio is measured through emissions
Wideband and EGT
Wideband readings of Air/Fuel Ratio on a two stroke
600 SDI MY2004 Lean/Hot spot running 6900-7000 rpm @ 40-45% Throttle Opening
800R Cranking Compression
800R Oil Injection / Premix combo
800R Turbo?
900 ACE Turbo - muffler turning red hot
1200 4-TEC Mapping
1200 4-TEC MY 2009 to 2011 Fuel Line issues that could cause a fire
Batteries
Belt Blowers: Overview of UPMICHIGANDER's experience
BUDS 3.3.0 won't connect to SDI
BUDS not connecting to HO or SDI - Try a CanDoo
CVT efficiency - BlueMax
Deep snow intake for XP chassis
Diagnoses
E-TEC 600HO Clutching
E-TEC Oil Pump
E-TEC Dial-A-Jet
E-TEC Engine Management
E-TEC Stator fault codes P1562 or P1563
E-TEC Capacitor Charge Hold Test and Residual Voltage Test
Fuel Issues: Could new Ester type oxygenated additives be deteriorating the Fuel Sender Grommet?
Fuel pump and regulator replacement for ACE, E-TEC and SDI
Gasoline quality and storage
Bad Gas for a Two Stroke - Is it a Myth ?
G4 Clutch Alignment, Engine Movement, Sheave Runout and Clutching
GNR CVT Alignment for the G4
Grip N Rip Clutch Alignment testing
G4 850 Throttle Jerkiness solved with clutching
G4 850 Snappy throttle/clutch engagement
G4 850 pDrive tech - A question of Engineering
G4 850 Tuned Pipe @ 12.6 lbs and Muffler @ 15.4 lbs vs 800R and 800RE muffler weight
Pictures - How to resize and upload to DooTalk
Pipe Pressure testing on a dyno
Pipe Pressure testing from LRD (#1) and (#2)
Pipe Pressure testing results from BRP
Oil versus Fuel consumption
Power at the Crankshaft vs Track - BlueMax
Power Curves: 600 HOE (E-TEC)
Power Curves: 600 vs 800 vs 850 vs 1000 vs 1200
Power Curves: 1000 vs 800 vs 600
Power curves: 800RE 2010.5 to 2016 vs 2016.5 850
Quebec/NY State border crossing
REV Gen1 Gauge Display stuck on "SCALE"
REV Gen1 Volt and Temp Gauge install
REV Gen1 electrical connectors for sensors and MPEM (Multi Purpose Engine Module)
Seafoam for E-TEC injectors
Shortblock or Rebuild?
Ski-Doo Snowmobile Tech Training
Stator testing for E-TEC using a T harness/Bridge
Stator testing for 1200 4-TEC
Stator replacement for a 1200 4-TEC
Suspension Adjustment
Triples - Coolant Pump Assembly
Y-Pipe bolts loosening fix

#4 Zack Watters

Zack Watters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:48 PM

Maybe the poster got smart and deleted his post(s). Playing with turbo 2S is a gamble. Note the first oem turbo 2S was an 850 with TBI. Prior to the 850 the SDI and E-TEC were a fueless base.

That would make sense :lol: at least i still have a record of them... :P  What do you mean by "fueless"? I am assuming you mean they came stock that way, but i am kind of confused :D Also, what is TBI?

Edited by Zack Watters, 03 June 2020 - 07:49 PM.

#5 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 25221 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:16 AM

That would make sense :lol: at least i still have a record of them... :P  What do you mean by "fueless"? I am assuming you mean they came stock that way, but i am kind of confused :D Also, what is TBI?

A fueless base is a 2S that has the majority of fuel injected while the pistons have the transfer ports open to the cylinder. At say 115 degrees or so past TDC, the transfer ports begin to open the transfer ports allowing a mix from the crank chambers to enter the cylinder. At this point the piston is traveling down to reach BTD and the transfers will be open a while longer until the piston blocks the port. The SDI takes advantage of this long period to inject the fuel as late as it can into the transfer ports, hence the fueless base. With a carb the fuel is mixed in the carburetor venturi which in effect passes through the crank chambers which also has the effect of absorbing heat. The TBI is very close to the same method as a carb which the exception that the fuel is injected instead of drawn through jets, but it hold the same advantage of a carb with fuel drawing heat away from the lower end. 

Wideband and EGT
800R Turbo?
1200 4-TEC Mapping
Batteries
CVT efficiency - BlueMax
Diagnoses
E-TEC 600HO Clutching
E-TEC Oil Pump
E-TEC Dial-A-Jet
E-TEC Engine Management
Fuel Issues: Could new Ester type oxygenated additives be deteriorating the Fuel Sender Grommet?
G4 850 Tuned Pipe @ 12.6 lbs and Muffler @ 15.4 lbs vs 800R and 800RE muffler weight
REV Gen1 electrical connectors for sensors and MPEM (Multi Purpose Engine Module)
Shortblock or Rebuild?
Suspension Adjustment

#6 Zack Watters

Zack Watters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:04 PM

A fueless base is a 2S that has the majority of fuel injected while the pistons have the transfer ports open to the cylinder. At say 115 degrees or so past TDC, the transfer ports begin to open the transfer ports allowing a mix from the crank chambers to enter the cylinder. At this point the piston is traveling down to reach BTD and the transfers will be open a while longer until the piston blocks the port. The SDI takes advantage of this long period to inject the fuel as late as it can into the transfer ports, hence the fueless base. With a carb the fuel is mixed in the carburetor venturi which in effect passes through the crank chambers which also has the effect of absorbing heat. The TBI is very close to the same method as a carb which the exception that the fuel is injected instead of drawn through jets, but it hold the same advantage of a carb with fuel drawing heat away from the lower end. 

So does this mean the TBI System would be preferred compared to the SDI in a rev? It sounds like TBI would be the best of both worlds as far as SDI and Carbed Sleds would go :D I appreciate the information, I am not quite sure what to do with it though :lol: sorry

#7 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 25221 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:19 PM

So does this mean the TBI System would be preferred compared to the SDI in a rev? It sounds like TBI would be the best of both worlds as far as SDI and Carbed Sleds would go :D I appreciate the information, I am not quite sure what to do with it though :lol: sorry

Yes, TBI would absolutely be preferred over the SDI, so like an Arctic Cat or an E-TEC 850. I doesn't meant that it won't work or that I wouldn't do it on an SDI. I would however adjust for it including my expectations. I don't think it is an easy project to figure out, but at least with some basics you can make better decisions. I will give you a few examples. Say the engine needed a new crankshaft, then you could go aftermarket to get the rods with two oil slots. I think Hotrods has them. On an SDI you probably keep the boost more reasonable and be careful to avoid high load with low speed like breaking a 3 foot deep trail at wot and actual speed of 35 mph. The lower end (crankcase) needs air to keep it cool. So if the engine is at its maximum power with minimum ground speed and being submerged in powder, that doesn't offer anywhere near the amount of airflow as traveling 100 mph on a groomed rail bed. Some off-trail/mountain sleds surpass the 10K mile marker, while others only see a few thousands before they need a new top end or crankshaft. There are a lot of factors involved.

A twin two stroke can easily make 0.2 Hp per cc @ 8,000 rpm, but the 600 SDI is already passed it, well some of them are. So how far are you wanting to go? If you are near sea level, would you be happy with 1lb of boost for say a 10 Hp gain? I am at 200 feet with already good solid power from a 600, so I would be happy with 10 more Hp. If I were at 4,000+ feet than the turbo would sound like an amazing idea. Remember that I am always talking about a trail or off-trail worthy sled on pump 91. Competition is a whole different ball game.

Another factor to choosing the engine for a turbo is a knock sensor.  Your carb 600 has none.

You will see from a thread that I linked below that I was thinking of doing this with the 1K, but I am still learning how to push its limits as Naturally Aspirated. On pump 91 a two stoke 600, 800 or 1000 with a knock sensor can reach up to 0.21 Hp per cc @ 7,800 to 8.000 rpm (pump 91). Say you get your 600 to work at a safety pump gas peak of ~126 Hp (sea level Hp) and get ~110 hp @ 4K feet elevation. I'm just guessing that with maybe 2 lbs of boost it will get back what it lost in elevation. I would be on it in a heart beat.

I would do it for the same reason as you, but I'm not interested in playing with carbs because it will never be in tune. Heck even an SDI is never perfectly in tune. If you look at the 2008 600 SDI that was dyno'd at DynoTech @ 128 Hp..... I am sure it did on that day, but it won't be every day unless you use a Wideband to figure out what air temperature does it have its maximum power at wot. The same with the 1000 SDI that dyno'd at 177 Hp. Too bad the dyno results didn't have the Wideband readings in the tuned pipe, but it is a safe guess that @ 177 Hp it was not running 11.6:1 a/f. On days that I see 12.2:1  the sled pulls like a freight train. The timing advance has enough tolerance to go even leaner in the 12.4 and 12.6 range. With that kind of power gain you see it by adding tip weight in the primary. It's the same with high cranking compression. When I hear of 130 psi cranking compression I am thinking it's real low.

On both a carb and SDI you would learn the value of premix and you can never give it too much oil. Being we are in summer, you can use your small engines to learn how fuel/oil ratio really works, which goes for 2 and 4 strokes. Just because a 4S doesn't need the mix, it doesn't mean that it can't run it. Can you burn your $50 push mower or chainsaw with too much oil? It is better to figure this out on something cheap than get into a $4,000 turbo investment and fear that too much oil is going to cause a lean seize which leads you to use too little that gets you a lean seize or rod failure. I remember this one guy on DooTalk with a turbo E-TEC 850 gave the maximum amount of oil he could use. I remember the number but I lost track of the thread so I can't ask him to clarify a few things. In any case with mowers and saws you can figure out the maximum amount of oil it can run at wot which is insanely high. I did the opposite by beginning with sleds and then went to small engines. This kind of stuff falls into the category that you would not believe it without trying.

I found the thread that I have been looking for you with a turbo on the carb sled. The was an interesting video of it on page 7 that is showing unavailable, but I remember a few things about it. The air/fuel ratio was surprisingly lean even when smashing the throttle. I will have to go through it again to see what I remember. The 4S turbo DooTalk is also a helpful resource on some of the basics which apply to both 2 and 4 strokes. For example look at what the 900 Turbo owners are doing with the exhaust when turning up the boost. On page 8 and post #112 (or click here), you will find three interesting links about this on the 2S side. There is very little about this on DooTalk for 2S, so that is one of the few threads. It should give you a good idea of how much guess work is typically put into a turbo 2S. After going through those 3 links, try to guess what sensors Ski-Doo uses on their turbo E-TEC 850.

turbo rev 800 h.0
Started By newdoo28, Dec 01 2015 03:36 PM

Edited by Daag44, 05 June 2020 - 03:54 PM.

Wideband and EGT
800R Turbo?
1200 4-TEC Mapping
Batteries
CVT efficiency - BlueMax
Diagnoses
E-TEC 600HO Clutching
E-TEC Oil Pump
E-TEC Dial-A-Jet
E-TEC Engine Management
Shortblock or Rebuild?
Suspension Adjustment

#8 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 25221 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:42 PM

I found the picture of the turbo E-TEC 850. Note the two sensors in the tuned pipe, one for exhaust temperature, and the other for exhaust pressure. A Wideband sensor would go somewhere near the red circle. It goes in the belly nearest to the engine, and preferably on the inside of the bend where the least amount of oil/carbon collects. The belly is the largest part of the pipe.

The reason that BRP doesn't put one on consumer sleds is they have already done all of the R&D and have them calibrated, so they have no need for one.

850 Turbo showing Tuned Pipe Pressure Sensor - Markup.jpg

Edited by Daag44, 13 June 2020 - 07:45 AM.

Wideband and EGT
800R Turbo?
1200 4-TEC Mapping
Batteries
CVT efficiency - BlueMax
Diagnoses
E-TEC 600HO Clutching
E-TEC Oil Pump
E-TEC Dial-A-Jet
E-TEC Engine Management
Shortblock or Rebuild?
Suspension Adjustment

#9 bnorth

bnorth

Slednuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts
  • Sled:'19 Alpha 165

•    

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:47 PM

As soon as you said you don't want to compromise reliability you lost this endeavor. Tuning the 600sdi for boost will be a nightmare 2nd only to tuning carbs for boost.  

2019 Alpha 800 165

1997 Kitty Cat

Previous:

17 174 SP

14 163X

05 Vertical Composites 1000 162

05 RT1000 162

#10 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 25221 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:00 PM

Reliability is a good point, and if he respects some of the basic power outputs per cc I think he will do fine. I have since edited my previous post to add some benchmarks. The way that I chose to read it, Zack Watters said he wanted a turbo. He never provided his elevation or a target power or level of boost. What he did say among other things, is that he wants to be able to say that he has a turbocharged 600 rev with understandably some sort of reliability, to use 90/91 pump gas, and have a summer project. I can't think of a reason why his goal could not be achieved with those criterias.

Wideband and EGT
800R Turbo?
1200 4-TEC Mapping
Batteries
CVT efficiency - BlueMax
Diagnoses
E-TEC 600HO Clutching
E-TEC Oil Pump
E-TEC Dial-A-Jet
E-TEC Engine Management
Shortblock or Rebuild?
Suspension Adjustment

#11 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 25221 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:03 PM

Zack, I thing that you need to start telling us what you have learned so far. Remember that this is a summer project which I assume is to get your mind off of things.

Wideband and EGT
800R Turbo?
1200 4-TEC Mapping
Batteries
CVT efficiency - BlueMax
Diagnoses
E-TEC 600HO Clutching
E-TEC Oil Pump
E-TEC Dial-A-Jet
E-TEC Engine Management
Shortblock or Rebuild?
Suspension Adjustment

#12 Zack Watters

Zack Watters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:32 PM

Thank you guys! I am reading over this tonight, I will get back with more responses later, But I am currently running my stuff at typical trail heights. I hope that is a good way to describe it, There are some hills near me but nowhere near what would be considered heights for mountain riding  :D Again, this is much appreciated! Sorry for the lack of information on my end

#13 mike0chek

mike0chek

Banshee Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3947 posts
  • Interests:cold temps, deep snow, banshees
  • Sled:2019 backcountry 850 XRS 10,425 Miles

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:34 PM

your money would be better spent on a turbo'd 4stroke if you expect any reliability. there is a reason like daag said that the first factory 2stroke with a turbo just came on the market. 

#14 Zack Watters

Zack Watters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 12:43 AM

Reliability is a good point, and if he respects some of the basic power outputs per cc I think he will do fine. I have since edited my previous post to add some benchmarks. The way that I chose to read it, Zack Watters said he wanted a turbo. He never provided his elevation or a target power or level of boost. What he did say among other things, is that he wants to be able to say that he has a turbocharged 600 rev with understandably some sort of reliability, to use 90/91 pump gas, and have a summer project. I can't think of a reason why his goal could not be achieved with those criterias.

At most I would probably only want/need 2lbs of boost. That being said, that is the max id plan for  :D the 1lb of boost with about 10 extra horsepower would be something I would be happy with

Zack, I thing that you need to start telling us what you have learned so far. Remember that this is a summer project which I assume is to get your mind off of things.

For as far as snowmobiles go I know how they work, at least as far as two-strokes go. I do not understand jetting or how SDI works with the injectors, but I can look into that. as far as stock sleds go I know where everything goes and some basics on how to tell what is wrong with an engine. I usually fix it by just replacing parts, I got lucky with a cat I was working on and did not have to buy any new parts. I just do not know how the turbo will change how the engine runs and the modifications that need to be made to install one. I am alright at fabricating items. As far as turbos go though, I have not gotten much validation on what I have read, that being said, the responses I receive are helping a lot. This weekend I will be reading over that forum you sent to get some better background. I don't think I am trying to get my mind off anything, more or less just have fun tinkering and cross my fingers that I wont spend all of what I earn this summer :D

Also, In the thread you shared I noticed the section on tuned pipes; While i do not know the exact equations, I do have a program for them which should make life easier if the need to make a tuned pipe arises. I get the general idea as well on how they work

Edited by Zack Watters, 06 June 2020 - 01:10 AM.

#15 Zack Watters

Zack Watters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 12:46 AM

your money would be better spent on a turbo'd 4stroke if you expect any reliability. there is a reason like daag said that the first factory 2stroke with a turbo just came on the market. 

The Yamaha Viper caught my attention, it scared my wallet away though  :D 

Do you by chance have any experience with Turbos on snowmobiles?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users