cleaning the lower end - MXZ / Legend / Summit / Grand Touring / Formula - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

cleaning the lower end

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 micheal_can

micheal_can

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Sled:2000 Ski Doo Formula Deluxe 600

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:52 PM

2000 Formula Deluxe 600

I had a blown piston that was replaced and the engine restarted. Now that it is summer, I plan to yank it out and rebuild the engine. I know some coolant and possibly some metal ended up in the crankcase. Once the engine is completely disassembled, How would I go about cleaning it so that I know there is nothing in there that shouldn't be there?

#2 pma1123

pma1123

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 604 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiles!
  • Sled:Choices: PRS, F, CK3, ZX, Rev

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:50 AM

Remove the flywheel and stator.

Remove all crankcase bolts and split the cases.

Evaluate bearing condition and enjoy freedom of access to clean anything you wish.

Even without concerns about tramp metal; those 2000 model year rubber crank seals are 20 years old now and should be addressed anyhow.

Fleet of Doo triples, couple twins too.

#3 micheal_can

micheal_can

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:54 AM

Remove the flywheel and stator.

Remove all crankcase bolts and split the cases.

Evaluate bearing condition and enjoy freedom of access to clean anything you wish.

Even without concerns about tramp metal; those 2000 model year rubber crank seals are 20 years old now and should be addressed anyhow.

I plan on replacing all seals and bearings. I was just concerned that getting in there would still be a challenge.

#4 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24552 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:42 PM

I plan on replacing all seals and bearings. I was just concerned that getting in there would still be a challenge.

There is a total of 6 crankshaft seals. There was no mention of which seals should be addresses, but there are 2 seals that require to pull the end bearings, and another 2 require to split the crankshaft.

#5 micheal_can

micheal_can

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:45 PM

There is a total of 6 crankshaft seals. There was no mention of which seals should be addresses, but there are 2 seals that require to pull the end bearings, and another 2 require to split the crankshaft.

Good to know.

I will be sending the crank to get new bearings on it.

#6 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24552 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:44 PM

Good to know.

I will be sending the crank to get new bearings on it.

I don't know how long those seals lasts, but I find the crankshaft a lot easier to service the two end bearings (mag and pto) that are lubed with Isoflex grease. It's a 30 min job to clean and repack both bearings. Only the first generation of Isoflex greased bearings are easy. Any other engine except the 600RS is a pain. The seals are also easy to test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users