Klondiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Sled:Tundra LT ACE

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:35 PM

Yup, another one of those posts...

Ive been itching to get a Skandic WT, but have an opportunity to pick up a really clean, low miles SWT with an ETEC in it for a great price.  

The fellow who I help out on his trapline has a WT ETEC.  Great rig, always loved the power.

I really like my 600 ACE Tundra though.

Would you guys buy the '13, or just throw down for a new one with a 900 ACE? 

There are two types of people in the world: those who bought a Tundra/Skandic/Expedition, and those who wished they had...

#2 suv1

suv1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5972 posts
  • Interests:Updated sled list!!!!
    2010 V800SWT
    2013 600aceSWT
    2014 600ACEWT
    2014 600aceSWT
    2016 900aceSWT
    2017 900aceSWT
    coming soon..
    2020 900aceLE
  • Sled:"16/900SWT/V800SWT600skandic600 ACEWT

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:59 PM

The 600 etc has lots of power but the new 900 gen4  SWT will be something special

Updated sled list!!!!   ////2010 V800SWT

////2013 600ACESWT

////2014 600ACEWT

////2016 900ACESWT

#3 18000HP

18000HP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts
  • Interests:Cutting wood , breaking trails and fixing stuff
  • Sled:2010 V800 SWT 2011 Renegade X 800

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:57 PM

How much fixing and maintaining can you do yourself ?

If that is not an issue, i would go for it...If $$ is not an issue, normally, newer = better...

Trapline...SWT is the way to go...

I still have my good old 2010 SWT 800..It is still working hard every winter with no issues.

Winter is the COOOLEST Season :Cheers

#4 SoloSldr

SoloSldr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Sled:None at the moment

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:55 AM

Obviously, new is nicer. But if that machice serves your purpose and the price and value are there??? Sometimes it's tough to pass up a well maintained rig at the right price....

#5 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6278 posts
  • Sled:2015 Expedion SE 1200

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:37 PM

I don't know if Canada has turned the money presses up to 11 like the US has, but I would tend to buy now if you are planning to buy soon.

that out of the way; I guess your real question is "will the etec hold up?"

I can't answer that, but in your shoes, I would want the quiet of the ACE for a machine like that.

Edited by groo, 22 May 2020 - 08:21 AM.

#6 Klondiker

Klondiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:48 PM

Obviously, new is nicer. But if that machice serves your purpose and the price and value are there??? Sometimes it's tough to pass up a well maintained rig at the right price....

Getting a machine thats in like new condition for 1/2 price of a new one is indeed hard to pass on.

I know one guy up here who with just routine maintenance put 15,000 km on his WT ETEC.  

Haven't ridden my friends WT ETEC in over a year, so its hard to remember what it was like, seemed pretty quiet compared to my old 550, but I've probably gotten soft riding the 600 ACE.  I leant my Tundra to a buddy, and with the 7 tooth drivers in it, he couldn't believe the smooth, low engagement of it.  He was coming off a Poo Voyageur.

There are two types of people in the world: those who bought a Tundra/Skandic/Expedition, and those who wished they had...

#7 SoloSldr

SoloSldr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:33 PM

I agree that once you've gone 'quiet' it's hard to go back. Did you install the 7-tooth's? The benefits of low end outweigh the loss of top end?

#8 Klondiker

Klondiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:23 PM

I agree that once you've gone 'quiet' it's hard to go back. Did you install the 7-tooth's? The benefits of low end outweigh the loss of top end?

Dude, installing the 7 tooth drivers in my LT was the best thing I ever did.  Ripping down a lake, you do lose top end.  That being said, its still fast enough to scare you on a Tundra, its just not a speed machine.

Previously, breaking trail, deep snow, pulling any sort of load, the clutches would slip trying to get going.  Now, its a smooth, low end engagement, never a squeal or a slip.  I cant recommend it enough.  Adds some snap as well.  Do it.

#9 SoloSldr

SoloSldr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:00 AM

Surprised I even asked it that way considering I could care less about top end. 32" pogo's and 'top end' probably shouldn't be mentioned together :D  Someone mentioned on here once that the overseas Tundras are 7-tooth from the factory. It only makes sense....

#10 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3006 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, bikes, birds and sometimes fishing.
  • Sled:Expedition SWT

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:09 AM

Depends on a few things.

#1 price. Is it a good enough deal?

#2 condition. You said it's low KM. How low?

#3 Use. How many km do you tend to put on your sleds? 

If the price is right, the KM are low, and you don't plan on putting on a lot of KM yourself, then go for it. 

The etec's are great motors, but after 10,000km they are ticking time bombs, and if you want to keep them beyond that, you have to budget for an engine rebuild. 

Myself, I've been preaching the 900 ACE gospel for a long time, but there is something about riding a Skandic etec that I like. It's snappy, and feels a lot sportier. It feels like you're going faster even when you aren't. I would never trade my ACE for an etec, but I wouldn't mind having an etec in the stable, if you know what I mean. 

#11 Klondiker

Klondiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 03:05 PM

Depends on a few things.

#1 price. Is it a good enough deal?

#2 condition. You said it's low KM. How low?

#3 Use. How many km do you tend to put on your sleds? 

If the price is right, the KM are low, and you don't plan on putting on a lot of KM yourself, then go for it. 

The etec's are great motors, but after 10,000km they are ticking time bombs, and if you want to keep them beyond that, you have to budget for an engine rebuild. 

Myself, I've been preaching the 900 ACE gospel for a long time, but there is something about riding a Skandic etec that I like. It's snappy, and feels a lot sportier. It feels like you're going faster even when you aren't. I would never trade my ACE for an etec, but I wouldn't mind having an etec in the stable, if you know what I mean. 

Totally know what you mean.  I love the tractor feel of the ACE, but having the ETEC on the Skandic platform makes it feel almost(!) like a mountain sled.  The power and track speed is there if you need it.  And I have, especially busting trail, and you have a long climb in deep snow.

Sled has 2800 km on it.  I put less than 1000 km on my sleds a year, usually less than 600.  Do most of the work myself.

#12 suv1

suv1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5972 posts
  • Interests:Updated sled list!!!!
    2010 V800SWT
    2013 600aceSWT
    2014 600ACEWT
    2014 600aceSWT
    2016 900aceSWT
    2017 900aceSWT
    coming soon..
    2020 900aceLE
  • Sled:"16/900SWT/V800SWT600skandic600 ACEWT

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:02 PM

Sled has 2800 km on it.  I put less than 1000 km on my sleds a year, usually less than 600.  Do most of the work myself.

With that many kms i would go for it, it's practically "brand new" 

Updated sled list!!!!   ////2010 V800SWT

////2013 600ACESWT

////2014 600ACEWT

////2016 900ACESWT

#13 LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7543 posts
  • Sled:Everything

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:46 AM

Have to agree.

I picked up an Expedition LE 600 Etec for my mother a few years ago using this exact logic.  It was two years old, in new condition, a great price and she'll take 10yrs to put on 10000km's.  It worked for this application and the sled has been fairly reliable with only a stator replacement in ~4yrs of ownership.  It made economical sense over the purchase of a new Expedition Sport 600ACE at the time.

I just hope it's cheap because your resale may be low.  Might want to consider that a little, around here you can hardly give away a Skandic WT/SWT 600 Etec with 8000+ km's on the clock.

#14 Lanecreek907

Lanecreek907

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sled:Tundra 550f, Tundra LT, Elan!

Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:13 PM

Hope I’m not hijacking this thread too bad, but what are you referring to with the 7-tooth? I have a 550 Tundra LT and get a little slipping trying to turn at low speed in soft snow while towing a load. My follow up question would be whether it would make sense to gear down a TX in this way. I want to stick with the narrow Tundra platform but would appreciate more low end for hauling logs and crawling through the brush.

#15 SoloSldr

SoloSldr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 05:48 PM

Off season hijack's not a big deal. He swapped his 8-tooth track drivers for smaller 7's. You have more flexibility with the 550F to gear down vs the 600ACE. Check your sprocket tooth count. I think the fan uses 19/45. Mtn sleds commonly use 19/53. If your removing the track for any reason then drivers could be an option too. Nobody regrets gearing down.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users