7 replies to this topic

#1 doodoood

doodoood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Sled:2009 Summit X

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:49 AM

I have a carbed 860 in an xm chassis and am looking for a little more. I recently picked up a bondi air box dirt cheap to play around with next winter. I am running the skinz helium hood with their intake shelf and was thinking of running a 3.5" tube from the bondi box to the intake shelf with a filter on the end. Has anyone ran such a big intake on a doo? Just curious what it will do. The skinz tube to the intake shelf is maybe 2.5" so it should increase air flow quite a bit. 

#2 Ski-B

Ski-B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5313 posts
  • Sled:2020 Freeride 850

Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:36 PM

I ran my old 860 with a Bondi air box in an XP chassis with XP upper air box. I felt the single air intake on the XP upper box was a disadvantage in some conditions.

Your skinz set up should be an advantage... for you. Try and keep the air temp sensor in the main tube. Just seems to work better there.

2020 Freeride 850. My ride.

2018 XRS 850 Sons sled.

2017 Freeride 860R etec. 860BB. Daughters sled.

2015 Freeride 800R etec. All Stock. Wifes sled.

2015 BCX  800R etec. Trail ported. Spare sled.

2014 BCX 800R etec. All stock. Spare sled.

#3 treeboy

treeboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Being in the mountains near everyday.
  • Sled:Too many

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:39 PM

Pretty much what I did on my 860r xp was I got rid of the upper airbox and made a adaptor off the horn where the air temp sensor is to go to a piece of 4” flex pipe and from there it goes to my intake that is where the headlight was.
Also I got 2 2 1/2 holes in line with the carbs on the lower box and some smaller ones in the box on the panel side all lined with some slp material and also vent holes in the side of the panel by the air box.
I’ve ran it for many years like this with zero issues, and never really needed to wipe off snow on my intakes.
I could get some pictures but my sled is pretty tucked away in storage right now.

#4 doodoood

doodoood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 11:01 AM

Pretty much what I did on my 860r xp was I got rid of the upper airbox and made a adaptor off the horn where the air temp sensor is to go to a piece of 4” flex pipe and from there it goes to my intake that is where the headlight was.
Also I got 2 2 1/2 holes in line with the carbs on the lower box and some smaller ones in the box on the panel side all lined with some slp material and also vent holes in the side of the panel by the air box.
I’ve ran it for many years like this with zero issues, and never really needed to wipe off snow on my intakes.
I could get some pictures but my sled is pretty tucked away in storage right now.

Awesome, this is exactly what I'll be doing. Building off the stock horn so that the sensor can stay mounted in the same spot. Glad to hear it works for you. Would you care to share what you run as far as clutch setups?

#5 treeboy

treeboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:35 PM

Awesome, this is exactly what I'll be doing. Building off the stock horn so that the sensor can stay mounted in the same spot. Glad to hear it works for you. Would you care to share what you run as far as clutch setups?

I have custom ground ramps that I make myself, CR-8 helix, 2mm oversized rollers, can’t remember the pin weights and what springs. I did a lot of mods and built stuff, the sled rips.
It have to look in my box of springs on what I was using. Haven’t rode the sled for a few years.

#6 doodoood

doodoood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:14 AM

I have custom ground ramps that I make myself, CR-8 helix, 2mm oversized rollers, can’t remember the pin weights and what springs. I did a lot of mods and built stuff, the sled rips.
It have to look in my box of springs on what I was using. Haven’t rode the sled for a few years.

How did the airbox affect jetting? I'm just curious how much I'm going to have to play around with it.

#7 treeboy

treeboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:32 PM

Really not much, I already up the mains and up the needles before I even did my upper air intake. Stock form the sled already ran lean in the mid-range.

#8 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 24821 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:32 AM

The fun thing with carbs is the more air intake, the more fuel is drawn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users