Seat Swap interchangability question, GT-L to Gade? - REV-GEN 4 - MXZ Performance Trail 129/ Renegade 137 - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Seat Swap interchangability question, GT-L to Gade?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 edclarkiv

edclarkiv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Sled:2019 Grand Touring Limited 600R

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:12 AM

All,

First off, thanks for reading.

I'm here because from the best I can figure my 2019 Grand Touring Limited ETEC 600R 137 is essentially a Renegade underneath.  Most likely an Enduro??

I bought the 2 up after being out of sledding due to location for about 40 years.  I figured it would be a good way to get my wife and I out of the house in the winter.  And I've always loved it as a kid.  But it turns out instead of both of us being retired, she started working to prevent boredom and I do most of my riding alone.  But I did get out almost every single day the trails were usable, which wasn't a lot this year.

I'd like to be able to able to swap out some parts for a single rider configuration but still be able to switch back fairly easily.  Back rests and trunk boxes are easy enough.  But even with all of the two up stuff removed I find the seat big and clunky for moving around.  Heating isn't that important when I'm alone.  I'm guessing the seats are generally interchangeable within the chassis version.  2017-2020?  Are there model limitations?  Is there a recommended seat for me to look for?

Since I'm at it.  One more question.  The suspension on my GT-L really seems to be heavily biased towards two up weights.  I'm 6' 1'', 225 before all of my gear.  And riding solo I always end up with minimum shock preloads and air ride rear shock of 1.  My wife is about half my weight and we normally end up on one setting stiffer all around.  Actually, as a single rider I'd like the settings to be a bit softer than I can get with the current, stock configuration.  In fact, alone I cannot get the rear of the sled down to the recommended height.  Is this similar on the rest of the Renegade line?  Or is it just me? 

Short of custom springs/shocks ($$$) are there Ski-doo OEM springs I can get to bias these settings a bit softer?  The higher end of the settings are essentially like rocks and I suspect I'll never use them.

Overall, it seems as if Ski-Doo never considered that somebody might want to ride alone at times!

Thank you again and looking forward to hearing some of your opinions.

#2 cr500r

cr500r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1368 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:23 AM

Did you check the position of the shock-rod(I forget what the heck it is called exactly) but there are two positions and from what I understand, they are shipped in the stiffer setting/hole.  

We had been riding around for most of the winter in the stiff-setting and I was wondering why the rMotion was considered so plush when it was not so plush when I'd ride either machine.  Once I had moved the shock bolt to the upper setting, the rear suspension became nice and smooth.  Try that if you have not done so already.  

BRP has just not "modularized" the GT-L to be swapped to 1-up, yet.  Probably because it costs just that much more to doo it.  It would be nice if it could be done, I just have not seen it done, yet.  

2019 Grand Touring Limited 600R

#3 edclarkiv

edclarkiv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 11:11 AM

Thank you for the reply.

Yeah, I had noticed it wasn't as easy as one might expect.  But there seems to be enough compatibility with it's base model to figure out a "DIY" method.  At least I'm hoping so.

That setting is the one thing I haven't played with.  I recall reading about it but must have felt I didn't need to mess with it.  I'll give it a check.

Thank you again,

Ed

#4 Pit Grunt

Pit Grunt

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8233 posts
  • Interests:ADMIN
  • Sled:2020 900 ACE Renegade DOOTALK sled

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:30 PM

You can put softer springs in the rear skid. The seats on some are interchangeable. Depends on the year. You should be able to slide seat back to remove.

WE RIDE !!!

#5 RENREV

RENREV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Sled:2019 900 ace turbo X

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:33 PM

A 2019 Renegade seat will work have done it myself

#6 badactor

badactor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Sled:2019 Enduro 850 and 2018 Gade X

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:01 AM

Sounds like you might want the Enduro seat.

I have both and the wife only likes the endure seat...not the longer skinny regular seat on the Gades.

"Trackside Down"

#7 edclarkiv

edclarkiv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 10:24 AM

A 2019 Renegade seat will work have done it myself

Thank you everyone that responded!

I did find a 2017-2020 used Renegade seat in good shape on ebay for $150.  It should be here in a few days.  It is the smaller seat with the pointed tail.  

I do still have the stock 2 up seat that is very comfortable and heated if I need it.  This is kind of an experiment, so I didn't want to drop a lot of change on it. 

I do have one observation about the Renegade seat clips.  While researching this I found that BRP has a few variations of the way the seats snap onto the forward pins.  Basically there is just a slot on each side of the seat that the pins snap into.  I only have my GT-L seat for comparison, but it is different, still a slot but there is a re-enforcement for the slot.  I'll snap a pic of it when I head out to the garage.  But I'm assuming that the slot and the location is what is important.  I'll know soon enough.

Thank you again.

#8 edclarkiv

edclarkiv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 10:35 AM

You can put softer springs in the rear skid. The seats on some are interchangeable. Depends on the year. You should be able to slide seat back to remove.

Just a follow up. 

I was doing some reading on the springs and rMotion ride stiffness.  In an attempt to get the rear of the sled lower I had the torsion springs at 1, front spring at 1 (softest) and the air ride at 1 when riding solo.  I found an explanation here on dootalk that explained that lowering everything that soft puts the shocks into a range of pre-compression.  I actually knew this from some of my ongoing auto suspension experiments.  Lowering a car with coil overs or springs does the same thing to automotive suspensions and it does kill ride quality.  

So I've reconfigured the sled with the torsion springs at three as a starting point.  I did also bump the front spring from 1 to 2 for different reasons, just to take some weight off of the front.  I suspect this may help lower the rear some if the weight transfers as expected.  Added edit: I've almost moved the rear spring/shock up in it's mounting hole as well.  Factory was in the lowest position.

It sucks that it will have to wait 6 or 7 months to give it a try.  After some riding I'll reevaluate the front suspension.

Thank you again! 

Edited by edclarkiv, 15 April 2020 - 08:41 PM.

#9 edclarkiv

edclarkiv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 01:12 PM

The seat I was mentioned I was getting on ebay fell thru.  Got a refund.  Then found a brand new G4 Summit seat for less.  It just showed up and snapped perfectly into place as if it was meant for the sled.  Even the plastic molding at the front of the seat which is normally covered by the stock seat lined up perfectly with the front of the Summit seat.

Thanks,

Ed

#10 edclarkiv

edclarkiv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 01:35 PM

Here is a picture of the completed project.  It looks a little less Grandad!

Summit seat, Ski-doo ice scratchers, ski spacers, shock covers, clear hand guards with small moveable round mirrors, glove box extension, black Renegade windshield lower cover and a GPS.  I also added some fused power directly to the battery for the GPS and the Cig/USB port.  

I also added a new set of Woody's carbides and the full length tunnel protector kit.  I have the screw in studs on hand but I'm going to wait till I need them before putting them in.  Just for a better before and after comparison.   

While it was all apart, I did some cleaning and changed the chain case fluid and adjusted the chain. 

The difference in the feel of the seat is considerable.  The GT seat is wide and comfortable.  Sit on it all day.  The Summit seat is much less comfortable.  But I assume many Summit riders don't spend much time sitting on the seat.  But the seat is clearly designed to be less in the way and much easier to shift your weight around with.  I'm gonna guess a Renegade seat is probably somewhere in between.  I'll keep my eye on ebay for one.

Just need snow!

Thanks,

Ed

Attached Images

• 2E13EC23-10A0-4108-BD96-F4A95A10DD31.jpeg

Edited by edclarkiv, 11 June 2020 - 01:40 PM.

• djm likes this

#11 RVJ

RVJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Sled:2005 mxz renegade X 600 sdi

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:28 PM

Wow, hard to believe it was a GT!

#12 djm

djm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13537 posts
  • Sled:09 700HO TNT, 11 Summit 770HO, 850 Sum X

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:24 PM

Summit seat, Ski-doo ice scratchers, ski spacers, shock covers, clear hand guards with small moveable round mirrors, glove box extension, black Renegade windshield lower cover and a GPS.  I also added some fused power directly to the battery for the GPS and the Cig/USB port.  

I also added a new set of Woody's carbides and the full length tunnel protector kit.  I have the screw in studs on hand but I'm going to wait till I need them before putting them in.  Just for a better before and after comparison.   

While it was all apart, I did some cleaning and changed the chain case fluid and adjusted the chain. 

The difference in the feel of the seat is considerable.  The GT seat is wide and comfortable.  Sit on it all day.  The Summit seat is much less comfortable.  But I assume many Summit riders don't spend much time sitting on the seat.  But the seat is clearly designed to be less in the way and much easier to shift your weight around with.  I'm gonna guess a Renegade seat is probably somewhere in between.  I'll keep my eye on ebay for one.

Just need snow!

Thanks,

Ed

Just need snow!

Thanks,

Ed

The sled looks great!   But.. if you do much trail riding - hours on end... you are going to hate that Summit seat.   I was in the process of switching seats on my G4 summit for a renegade seat; and after getting the seat and the larger rear battery cover; wound up selling my Summit and getting a newer (2019) to me 129" sled with only 200 miles on it.  That Summit seat is small and light and hard as a rock after a few hours on the trail, but makes that sled look great.  

A great place to get newer sled parts is from Rene Berube or his father Mike; Rene is twinpower and they part out a lot of sleds each year.  They are located in Ontario but ship to the US. Super people to deal with!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users