Flaps on Expert models - REV-GEN 4 - Summit/Freeride/ 850 Turbo - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Flaps on Expert models

snow flap flap Expert 850 2020 2021 Summit

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 eternalwinter

eternalwinter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:Snowmaching, fishing, photography, hotrods
  • Sled:2019 Summit X 850 165 3"

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:22 PM

Was wondering if anyone had tried putting the tail light assembly and aluminum strap/attachment from the '17-'20 Summits on an Expert and used the non Expert removable flap setup?  The question arise from a trip we did recently where we had 5 G4's with flaps and 3 Experts without, all with scatchers.  Conditions varied considerably through out a days ride from hard windblown boilerplate to 4' of soft sugar snow.  This was a multiday ride where I had the option on my '19 with the removable flap to take it off or put it on to help keep the sled cool when traveling in the hard areas. Mine never got above 152 degrees but I know a couple of the ones with out the flap got much higher.  Looking at the two tunnels, the aluminum bracket at the back is what is missing from the Experts to make this work but didn't know if the flap would interfere.  I know you could take some of the curve out of the stock flap with a heat gun but was wondering if anyone had tried it.  Looked at the flap for the Experts and seems like an afterthought and hokie.  Have a couple of friends snow checking sleds and the short tunnel is on everything but the SP now so checking on options for them.  Thanks.

#2 summitx411

summitx411

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Sled:17 Summit 850, 05 MXZ 500SS (SHR660)

•    

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:26 PM

First thing id check is if the old flap would even clear the track on an expert. The expert accessory flap hangs pretty far back.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

#3 LeeL

LeeL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • Sled:2021 expert 154 turbo

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:15 PM

There’s a flap that clips into the expert flap you can buy it’s 150$ and is basically the same as a non expert flap when installed. It’s linq also .

#4 Surly1

Surly1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Sled:2016 Freeride

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:30 PM

With as goofy as the Expert accessory flap looks, it’s prob the easiest way to go. To put an end cap on the tunnel to mount the detach flap off the older G4’s may be more of a pain than it’s worth.

My plan this summer is to make brackets and possibly a carbon fiber piece to mimic what has been done on the Lynx sleds. Most likely I’ll keep it one off, as it will prob be cost prohibitive to sell. I’d only run this in very early/late conditions. I’ve had very few hot issues on the Expert this year, more here in the spring conditions. I’ve found if you run it hard, and keep that 3” flinging snow; it stays in operable ranges.

#5 Alatalo

Alatalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Sled:1993 Mach 1 670 and 1997 Mach Z 800

Posted 02 April 2020 - 04:41 AM

For the Expert, the accessory snow flap sounds like the easiest solution, by far.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Es4kwfQko10

#6 eternalwinter

eternalwinter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:Snowmaching, fishing, photography, hotrods
  • Sled:2019 Summit X 850 165 3"

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:18 PM

Yes, I realize the Expert flap is the easiest but is it the smartest.  Reading the instructions for it you either have to have a bungee to flip it over onto the tunnel and bungee down or buy a set of linq accessory fastners to attach it to the linq anchors (sold separately if you don't already have them).  Seems like putting the other flap on might be easier and better in the long run as the spacing is the same on it and all the other linq accessories.  The linq anchors are a different width for the Expert flap which kind of screws up putting anything else there....

#7 Alatalo

Alatalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Sled:1993 Mach 1 670 and 1997 Mach Z 800

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:55 AM

I agree all of the LinQ snow flaps are fukkups, they have different measurements between the LinQ’s and they don’t fit the tunnel unless you fukk about with brackets in the opposite direction...

#8 summitx411

summitx411

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Sled:17 Summit 850, 05 MXZ 500SS (SHR660)

•    

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:36 AM

Another option is to make your own linq adaptor with flat bar or something. Make it work with standard spacing then attach flap to the adaptor. Be some fiddling and an extra set of linq mounts but it might be the best solution since both flaps aren't the standard spacing.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snow flap, flap, Expert, 850, 2020, 2021, Summit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users