2018 Summit SP 850 E-TEC Brake Caliper Removal - REV-GEN 4 - Summit/Freeride/ 850 Turbo - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

2018 Summit SP 850 E-TEC Brake Caliper Removal

brake caliper summit 850

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hangtown Earl

Hangtown Earl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sled:2003 800

Posted 08 March 2020 - 04:23 PM

Hey Everyone this is my first post and I am hoping to get some guidance. I have a leaking seal on the caliper of my sled. Probably went bad last year when I left the parking brake on (I got lucky) and the brake got hot. Ran it all last winter in the Tahoe area, no problem. This year I took it out twice when the snow out here was good. I lost pressure on my brake lever. Managed to diagnose ( hopefully) what the issue is. I've done a lot of researching on how to get this caliper off of the driveshaft, watched a couple of videos, etc. A lot of guys mention the puller from C&T? I've got the rotor loose and ready to pull this thing off. I just need the tool.. ? Here are some of my questions... do I need to detention my track and loosen the chain on the other side to make this happen? It seems pretty straight up, but I like to overthink things LOL.. unless it involves going fast. I am under warranty still and I can take it in. That is an hour drive to the nearest shop to get it fixed.. so I would rather not do that if possible. I also want to learn to fix it myself . The winter out here is low tide so I am not in a rush to ride.. but I would like it fixed. I've attached a couple of pics. Thank you in advance for any tips, direction , or advice. I hope some of you are out there getting it for those of us that can't.

Attached Images

• IMG_9154.jpg
  • IMG_9155.jpg

#2 good2go

good2go

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Sled:G4 Product Tester (unpaid)

Posted 09 March 2020 - 03:59 PM

I don't think you need to do anything with the track and chain to remove the caliper.  And the special tool is for removing the rotor, not the caliper IIRC.  I once tried to fix a caliper on an XP that had developed a leak from the same cause.  It was a messy waste of time, as the fix did not work (i.e., I wound up having to buy a new caliper anyway). Hopefully, you have better luck/skills than me. Also, buy the shop manual!  It's well worth the investment if you like to do maintenance yourself.  

Edited by good2go, 09 March 2020 - 04:00 PM.

#3 cbryan

cbryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Sled:2010 MXZ 600

Posted 09 March 2020 - 09:06 PM

Removing the disc is difficult, you can get the tool from C&T Powersports, very reasonably priced that makes the job a breeze

Days Get Shorter, Nights Get Longer, Snow Gets Deeper, Life Gets Better! (borrowed from tnts4me)
Sleds:
1989 Safari Saga 377
1972 Elan 250e

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brake, caliper, summit, 850

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users