2017 850 Sheared Crankshaft - Page 6 - REV-GEN 4 - MXZ Performance Trail 129/ Renegade 137 - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

2017 850 Sheared Crankshaft

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#76 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 24821 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:09 AM

The viton outer portion of seal sheared off from the metal casing. Where did it go?

Edited by Daag44, 27 July 2020 - 02:51 PM.

#77 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 24821 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:17 AM

I don't believe that we are asking the right questions, and we are focusing too much attention on a possible but remote chance the pto stub snapped due to a weakness.

#78 thinksno

thinksno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1505 posts
  • Sled:2020 900T XRS and more

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:19 PM

ghost rider- what you said is true, however, if you bought a boat, quad, bike car or truck and in under 4 years and 3500 miles the crank/engine was smoked, what would you say then? Short answer is- It better be covered! I know I would be choked and rightfully so.They just don't blow up like this and if/when they do, they are actually covered under warranty. no doubt most are 4 stroke, but not all. In Canada the 850 is easily over 20K out the door so how do we accept an engine blowing in that short of time being acceptable, for any brand? Sledding is the only motorized sport where every purchase feels like gambling at the roulette table, the odds are becoming so stacked in the house's favour that you have to be "edit for bad language" drunk just to play, because the warranty is so subjective that your sled almost has to explode in the dealer parking lot to actually USE the warranty we pay for. Now I'm not saying everything is warranty but nothing should fall apart with so little miles on it in with the stock/factory set up, and so close to warrant expiration. It feels like as soon as the warranty is up we should start a timer, since the warranty expires just about the same time as the parts. Here's another example; my track is toast too, for 3 years it was great, in the 4th year the lugs are peeling off like crazy but no warranty for that either.

*another serious point to consider here; so has the crank shaft manufacturing process been upgraded since? So I see a lot more of these happening, basically 3-4 years avg for a N/A engine to have these issues, how long will they take to show up on the turbo?? =less than a season i hope, or they won't get warranty either!!
-and the forged connecting rods letting go? same process I bet...

every engine has a week link somewhere, usually in the design process but this one is in the manufacturing, i'm suddenly glad I couldn't afford to get the turbo this year. I think I'll wait see how they hold up

I have had good luck with my doo 2 smokes. I have two major failures on Polaris and one identical to what you suffered. I lost both both clutches too out of warranty but was covered 100% by Polaris. I accept strokes are bombs waiting to go off and I don't think your failure is expected. I bought a 900T and am happy.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

#79 Gin la pine

Gin la pine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Sled:2020 xpert 154

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:07 PM

I have had good luck with my doo 2 smokes. I have two major failures on Polaris and one identical to what you suffered. I lost both both clutches too out of warranty but was covered 100% by Polaris. I accept strokes are bombs waiting to go off and I don't think your failure is expected. I bought a 900T and am happy.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

The only difference is its the first 850 thats does it that im aware of while i can tell of countless 800 poo that broke right off the pto stub....

Edited by Gin la pine, 27 July 2020 - 01:08 PM.

#80 smgunning

smgunning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Motorcycles
  • Sled:2018 MXZ X 850

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:41 AM

A couple of points. When he bought the sled, it still had a few months of warranty left on it. He went to the dealer and made sure all recalls were done on the sled. Bought the new upgraded belt and installed it. Surfaced cleaned the clutches, but did not remove them. 

He knew the previous owner had blown a belt as there was some debris left in the clutch area, but the seal looked ok and there was no damage to the belly pan. Who would have thought there was a cracked crank shaft as we have never seen or heard of that. 

He never blew a belt in the 1000 miles he rode it and there was no wobble with the primary. 

I still believe this was a flaw in the crank from initial manufacture. Even if a blown belt caused the crack as indicated by BRP, this happened under warranty and should be covered. Just my two cents. 

#81 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27331 posts
  • Sled:'19 850X, Outlander 650XT, & Defender XT

Posted Yesterday, 06:59 AM

Next to last sentence;

It was NOT under warranty, that had expired.

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. 

No Need to Freeze-buy a set of these! http://www.coldguards.com/

#82 Ktm Fanatic

Ktm Fanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Sled:2000 mxz 600 2004 600 summit HO

Posted Yesterday, 10:45 AM

A couple of points. When he bought the sled, it still had a few months of warranty left on it. He went to the dealer and made sure all recalls were done on the sled. Bought the new upgraded belt and installed it. Surfaced cleaned the clutches, but did not remove them. 

He knew the previous owner had blown a belt as there was some debris left in the clutch area, but the seal looked ok and there was no damage to the belly pan. Who would have thought there was a cracked crank shaft as we have never seen or heard of that. 

He never blew a belt in the 1000 miles he rode it and there was no wobble with the primary. 

I still believe this was a flaw in the crank from initial manufacture. Even if a blown belt caused the crack as indicated by BRP, this happened under warranty and should be covered. Just my two cents. 

How would you know the seal looked OK without removing the clutch?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users