Just lucky to have a first 600r issue. - REV-GEN 4 - MXZ Performance Trail 129/ Renegade 137 - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Just lucky to have a first 600r issue.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 snowslammer

snowslammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Sled:1200 dooit

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:15 PM

Went from 4stroke to 2 stroke. New 2019 renegade 600r. Now, this sled does rock. It is really quick to 80 mph and it dies feel like an 800 down low. But, at 450 mile temp light came on the went off fresh snow conditions. At 579 miles temp light came on and it went into limp mode, missing and cutting out,i slowed down. Well it slowef me down waited 5 seconds, light went out, but it did beep for the next 5 miles, no light on. So shut it off and went another 300 miles not one issue. Yes it did have the updated clamp put on from dealer for coolant tank. So i figured maybe it wasn't bled right. So i parked it up on a big snowbank and pulled cap off and let it warm up, i did see some air pop out off resivore. So after 220 miles riding in great snow conditions only going 55 the tenp light flashes the goes off agaim. So i ride the darn thing 200 more miles then light comes on again for just 2 seconds then out. Runs perfect, love this sled but light is bothering me. Anyone at all seen this on a new 600r?

#2 skidont

skidont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3765 posts
  • Sled:2015 1200 renegade

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:45 PM

loose wire connection maybe ?  we were on groomed hard pack trail and kept wanting to over heat / light coming on if not moving more than 30  miles an hour

#3 snowslammer

snowslammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:13 PM

Could be, i am in white pine mi now, i will check when i het back to ohio lol. It runs too good to be serious. I am guessing a bad coolant temp sensor or a wire rubbing. Just wondered if anyone else seen anything like this.

#4 Layman

Layman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:Riding, a very little bit of golf, and being a dad.
  • Sled:2020 Renegade X 600R 1.5 IR

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:57 PM

I had this happen once about an hour into my first ride on my 2020 Gade X 600r.   Temp light came on for about 2 seconds and then went off.   Decent snow conditions.  Hasn't happened again in the 350 miles I have but on since then, but I will be following this thread.   

#5 snowslammer

snowslammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:58 PM

It is annoying.

#6 andym2001

andym2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Sled:2020 XRS 600R ID

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:42 AM

Could be, i am in white pine mi now, i will check when i het back to ohio lol. It runs too good to be serious. I am guessing a bad coolant temp sensor or a wire rubbing. Just wondered if anyone else seen anything like this.

If you head to Bergland, Timberline Sports will take a peek at it. They are fast and efficient to keep your trip moving. They just won National Dealer of the Year.... for good reasons.

Sorry to hear about the issues. These 600’s just plain rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 XRS 600R 129 Iron Dog

19 XRS 600R 129 Iron Dog

2004 Elite #265

1999 XCR 800

1996 XCR 600

1995 XCR 600

#7 snowslammer

snowslammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:12 AM

Couldnt get in Timberline. Rode 580 more miles. Light did come on again so i let off throttle and coasted and blipped the throttle and light went out. rode 260 more miles and light didnt come on again. so Im not sure yet. contacting dealer to see what they say. Only thing i did notice is that when it is warmed up the cooling system seems to be over filled, as in i pulled cap off, let it warn up and coolant was exspanding to the point it was going out of overflow. NO not head gasket becasue i pressure tested it and did it while running too and no pressure increase, also did a chemical antifreeze test and no combustion gases in system.   

#8 snowslammer

snowslammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:48 AM

Talked to dealer, They are not really sure but we think it is air and they have a few 600R temp lights that have come on as well but they haven't been able to test do to no snow, but after looking at some 850s and 600R i see maybe an issue with coolant levels. Now i think i might be on to something here for all that have a 600R and have had the temp light come on, or not could everyone when they have a chance go out and take a picture of their coolant reservoir bottle Cold. Like after sitting overnight and please share here. There are some that have had an issue with this temp light coming on intermittently and i may have found out why. So before i explain i need a bunch of photos of cold coolant reservoir levels on 600r SLEDS AND PLEASE COMMENT IF YOU HAVE EVER HAD YOUR LIGHT COME ON OR NOT. Thank you.     

#9 1Evil55

1Evil55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2037 posts
  • Sled:2007 Blizzard

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:02 PM

Is it due to being filled too high?  When it warms up, the expansion maybe is too much.

#10 tnt5150

tnt5150

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3669 posts
  • Interests:Beer/Butter/Bacon.
  • Sled:2021 MXZ XRS 850

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:43 PM

I had a 2019 XRS 600R, 2025 flawless miles before I sold it.

"Say when"

21 MXZ XRS 850 Liquid Titanium/Red

19 MXZ XRS 600R Yellow/Silver

19 MXZ TNT 600R Black(son's 2nd sled)
18 Neo NAS207TF enclosed inline trailer
16 MXZ X 600 ETEC Black
14 Renegade Sport 550F(Son's first sled)
15 Renegade X 600 Etec Orange/Black
08 Mxz TnT 500SS
04 MXZ 600HO
01 MXZ X 800
97 MXZ 670
94 ZR 700 (BIGGEST P.O.S. EVER!)
90 JAG 440
87 COUGAR 550
80 JAG 340
79 SPORTFIRE 440
79 ENTICER 340
76 GS 340

#11 snowslammer

snowslammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 03:00 PM

I think that is, i noticed on the ones at the dealer where they were in for temp light on, all 2019 that had he coolant clamp recall done, the fill level was at the cold level just like mine. however most 850s were well below the cold fill level. When i let mine warm up with out the cap on the fluid expanded to the point of it overflowing out of the top of the coolant bottle. I explained to dealer and he agreed that the other units were probably over filled as well. So if there is air it has no place for the bubble to travel to, it just keeps getting circulated until it reaches a certain spot and make the light come on. I did have air in mine and i bleed it out again and i got a little more air out. I also removed 1/2 inch of cooling as well and it now expanded to just above the seem on the bottle when hot.  I showed to dealer and there mechanic agreed. all there sleds were intermittent as well. 

#12 Pit Grunt

Pit Grunt

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8437 posts
  • Interests:ADMIN
  • Sled:2020 900 ACE Renegade DOOTALK sled

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:10 PM

Put a gauge on it and see what temps do.. make sure your snow flap is touching the ground when riding..

WE RIDE !!!

#13 auto

auto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1322 posts
  • Interests:Supermoto back road riding Bass Fishing
  • Sled:2019 MXZ TnT 850

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:01 PM

if it's like my other doos, really can't overfill. It will just puke out the overage. on my 800E, I would start it, cap off, fill the bottle to the top, check it the next day when cold, it was perfectly right at the cold fill line. my 850 will not do this, it will always puke 'till it's well below the cold line. while you've got a 600, I found out with the 800 and 850, you need to run the scratchers deployed all the time to keep cool. even with decent coverage, they'll get pretty hot without them. if not deployed, there's always a bunch of steam when we stop. put the scratchers down, exchangers just warm to the touch, no steam. 2 basic issues, coolant recovery bottle too small, marginal cooling capacity. remember your 600 is making close to what older 800s did a few years ago. keep them horses cool !  good luck !

#14 Cobra19

Cobra19

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 195 posts
  • Sled:19 renegade x 600r

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:08 PM

My 19 600r renegade history so far.Had coolant clamp recall done at .6 miles before first trip to Quebec. Put 911 miles on it in preseason conditions, temp range 101-132 max. No temp light ever came on. Sled came home and sat from Jan1 till Feb 14 and never took coolant cap off or loosened. Just came back from Quebec last week, 8 day ride and put on 2,164 miles on sled with no coolant light on or problems. coolant temp range was 101- 122 max the entire trip. Will say when sled got to 118 with excellent conditions, I noticed the tunnel cooler was getting iced over, so a quick ice chunk (s) removal on the trail brought sled down to MY NORMAL of 103-109. in excellent conditions.
Just took this picture tonight, and is the first time I ever loosened coolant cap. I have a total of 3,080 miles on sled with ZERO COOLANT ISSUES.

Attached Images

• 611B3528-0E8E-4C0B-B302-B9003910387E.jpeg

#15 snowslammer

snowslammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:56 AM

Ok, my final on this. It was not bled right from the get go after the bulliten was done at dealer and they have confirmed the others they had with lights coming on intermittently was because 1, they over filled the system. 2 they did not lift front of sled high enough to bleed it correctly. Now I went over this with the service at my dealer and i will not be naming them but i wanted to show them what was being done wrong on some of these sleds.   So i did remove coolant on my sled and now my level is just below the cold fill when it is fully warm about 1/2 inch below, i did get a pretty big air bubble out after sled warmed up as well so it was an air issue. The light only came on once every 250 or 400 miles thats it. This was not a snow, or snow lap issue and this was not the only 600R that had this issue. I am a Master Service Technition and i dont just change parts i like to solve problems and get to the root of the issues.  So after i showed dealer my findins we went back into shop and sure enough the sleds that they previously serviced were over filled and they did get air out of them as well after they lifted the front of the sleds during warm up. Maybe this is an isolated issue with this dealer but they were great to work with and now know. So maybe this was a long drawn out post but i was really bothered me that i bought a brand new sled with a great reliability history as Some of you stated you have never had a problem, but being in the automotive field i know and have seen every brand have issues even when the majority of the same brand or same vehicle doesn't.  So this issue is done. Hopefully this will help someone. I also feel better that the other 600R's at the dealer that had this intermittent issue are solved. I also dont really understand why they pulled the hose off to replace clamp because it could have been done without doing that.

Edited by snowslammer, 02 March 2020 - 07:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users