• DOOCrew
  • 7395 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling and ATVs
    Boating
    Traveling
    Family and friends
  • Sled:12 1200 Gade---(3) 14 1200x Gades

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:10 PM

Geez Bill---Covered in blood ????  Not my idea of hiking.

Don~

#32 wmoater

wmoater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Sled:2015-1200 gade x/ 2010-600 TNT

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:24 AM

Yep three years ago we spent a week in both the green and white mountain. My wife and I chased waterfalls with the camera. Did some back country hiking to get a couple perfect ones. If there would have been a bear within a mile of us he would have hunted us down by the smell of blood. We used everything. Nothing worked.  ( Darn nats with big teeth) Ate right through thin hiking shirts! That year we met an old (local) guy that said it was the worst he had ever seen and said smear mud all over your body. Little to say we haven’t been back since. Put a sour taste in our mouth. It was probably a fluke for we only had them at dawn and dusk previous trips. The  ADK’s was the same way that year. We’ve headed west the last 2 summers but my wife said lets try something new so UP it is. The reason I asked is SHE brought it up!

Geez Bill---Covered in blood ????  Not my idea of hiking.

Don~

Edited by wmoater, 26 February 2020 - 07:27 AM.

#33 Go Fast or Go Home

Go Fast or Go Home

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 7395 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling and ATVs
    Boating
    Traveling
    Family and friends
  • Sled:12 1200 Gade---(3) 14 1200x Gades

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:21 AM

I'd check with the locals as to when the black fly season is in the U.P.  They can be brutal.

We went to Taquamanom Falls one year and stepped out of the car and got right back in.

Don~

#34 ntjordan

ntjordan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1983 posts
  • Sled:17 900A, 16 900A, 13 1200, 13 600A

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:05 AM

I'd check with the locals as to when the black fly season is in the U.P.  They can be brutal.

We went to Taquamanom Falls one year and stepped out of the car and got right back in.

Don~

Time of year can vary a bit depending on the weather. A couple years ago the black flies weren't so bad but the mosquitoes were so thick in the evening it was like a fog, you couldn't stand to be outside.

#35 yoopermike75

yoopermike75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Sled:2015 Summit X 154

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:47 PM

I sent you a PM with my opinion on all biting insects, and when they really suck.  Literally.

#36 wmoater

wmoater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:11 AM

Thanks Mike!

#37 wmoater

wmoater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:27 AM

Can anyone confirm that the circled part on the map is all hardpack. I programmed it into my Spyder GPS last night and it is saying there are 2 long stretches of gravel. The gps might need updated. I looked online and on satellite view it looks hard packed just want to confirm. It’s the road just south of paradise on the east side of the coast line from 28 to 123.  Thanks

Attached Images

• 2E6437F9-C2EC-4548-8618-184D43AB37C1.jpeg

Edited by wmoater, 28 February 2020 - 09:28 AM.

#38 ntjordan

ntjordan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1983 posts
  • Sled:17 900A, 16 900A, 13 1200, 13 600A

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:22 PM

Can anyone confirm that the circled part on the map is all hardpack. I programmed it into my Spyder GPS last night and it is saying there are 2 long stretches of gravel. The gps might need updated. I looked online and on satellite view it looks hard packed just want to confirm. It’s the road just south of paradise on the east side of the coast line from 28 to 123.  Thanks

Yes that road is paved, there are several "pull-offs" on the Western half before you get to M123. 

#39 grover

grover

Fuzzy but not Blue........

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10409 posts
  • Sled:'10 1200XR TnT, '05 500ss

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:06 PM

There is also a fish hatchery to visit if interested, free on that route

-grover

Clutching: Northern Catalyst S8R8 kit (Dynamo Joe Stuff)

-LIFE

Just passin' through........

#40 yoopermike75

yoopermike75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Sled:2015 Summit X 154

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:15 AM

It's locally known as the Curley Lewis "highway".

#41 wmoater

wmoater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:59 PM

What an awesome 8 days in the UP. I know everyone here loves snow and the UP but if you have not had a chance to see the UP in the summer what a great change and place. I know many of you would not even consider hiking 10.6 miles but if you want some beautiful views hike the Bridal chapel falls/creek loop just east of Menstrand general store. Start from the left and end on the beach on the right. There are some really cool bluffs to see. We did 939 Miles on the Spyder. There are some paved roads I never knew about. 393 is really a fun road on the Spyder so was the road from trout to 393 which I thought was dirt! Hit everything we would have on the sleds and MORE. I am blown away how many people are in Paradise even in the summer. During the week H58 is dead and run the shore line drive ( 6 mile road.) Northern Michigan was a blast too. If you have never run tunnel of trees " It is worth it!" What a great trip, cool weather at 72 and blue bird skis. I was also blown away how marshy it really is. I've heard about the swaps not being frozen for years well now I understand. What a totally different experience from snow. We saw 9 lighthouses, 8 waterfalls, The fort, hiked close to 20 miles total between all them and put on almost 1000 miles of great riding on the Spyder. Hate to say it but besides boondocking I like it better in the summer. The only complaint was the Mackinaw scenic route after the tunnel of trees back to the bridge. That road was a mess. Besides that I was really impressed on all the fresh blacktop and smoothness of the roads. Worth the trip in the summer. Weekends are packed just like winter but summer away from Ignace, paradise and the main falls, Marquette, and Mackinaw City there is no one. Hit the popular spots in the morning early and ride anywhere you want in the afternoon. If you are looking for something different the natural springs were pretty nice. Not as nice a Yellowstone but if you have never been there hit them too. One last thing, we pulled the Spyder out of the toy hauler down in Ann Harbor and ran around the entire town on the Spyder. Covid has turned that town into a party town. for 4 blocks everything shut down and everyone eating on the roads. That was cool. I also had my first BLIMPY BURGER!. If you haven't had one its worth it. 

Edited by wmoater, 01 August 2020 - 09:04 PM.

#42 SkiDooNick700

SkiDooNick700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, ATVs, PS4 - online name DieselPowered67 , Cars, Trucks
  • Sled:09 MXZ TNT E-Tec

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:52 PM

Sounds like a great trip!! The wife and I will be headed to the UP in couple weeks after a day or two in Mackinaw. Will either be in my truck or her jeep.

Did you take that country road 407 that is dirt east of Grand Marais several miles?

When we leave Mackinaw, the plan is to hit Tahquamenon falls in the morning then drive over to Grand Marais and then down H58 into Munising to stay. I thought it may be more scenic to take 123 to that 407 (deer park rd?) But if that gavel stretch is kind of crappy... not sure it would be worth going that route. Might be better to take 28 and then up 77.

Thoughts??

I hate having dreams when I'm sleeping about mid winter warm ups of 70 degrees...

#43 grover

grover

Fuzzy but not Blue........

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10409 posts
  • Sled:'10 1200XR TnT, '05 500ss

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:25 AM

Sounds like you had great time wmoater!! There is alot going for this state if people venture out some, alot to see and do. Wife and I did a waterfall/beach/ sightseeing vacation the week after the forth and still didn't get to it all lol. Hopefully some of the businesses  that are out will make it back after all of this, that was some of the down sides that were seen too. 

-grover

Clutching: Northern Catalyst S8R8 kit (Dynamo Joe Stuff)

-LIFE

Just passin' through........

#44 wmoater

wmoater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 11:24 AM

Sounds like a great trip!! The wife and I will be headed to the UP in couple weeks after a day or two in Mackinaw. Will either be in my truck or her jeep.

Did you take that country road 407 that is dirt east of Grand Marais several miles?

When we leave Mackinaw, the plan is to hit Tahquamenon falls in the morning then drive over to Grand Marais and then down H58 into Munising to stay. I thought it may be more scenic to take 123 to that 407 (deer park rd?) But if that gavel stretch is kind of crappy... not sure it would be worth going that route. Might be better to take 28 and then up 77.

Thoughts??

We did not take 407. I was told by rex it can be pretty bumpy for the Spyder. I changed the route for that day. We ran H63 to 134 east wound North  around and back to H63. Then took the northern shoreline highway west to 123. Out to the point back to paradise and Around the falls (which was ridiculously crowded and no masks) to Newberry then south on 393 to 2 and back to Ignace. We put the Spyder in the toy hauler and drove to Munising and camped there and ran H58 to Grand then 77 to 28 and back and then ran 94 to autrain forest rd to 28 back through Christmas and into munising. We also ran 28 to 94 south to 2 west to the springs and north on 38 to Marquette  back to munising on 28. That was a beautiful ride. We stayed away from 41 and saw no one.  That northern road by the spring is all fresh blacktop too. Your in a jeep I don't think it will matter. Take it. Dirt will not hurt that. About 1/2 of H58 is fresh blacktop. Nice ride.

Edited by wmoater, 02 August 2020 - 11:29 AM.

#45 SkiDooNick700

SkiDooNick700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, ATVs, PS4 - online name DieselPowered67 , Cars, Trucks
  • Sled:09 MXZ TNT E-Tec

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:28 PM

We did not take 407. I was told by rex it can be pretty bumpy for the Spyder. I changed the route for that day. We ran H63 to 134 east wound North around and back to H63. Then took the northern shoreline highway west to 123. Out to the point back to paradise and Around the falls (which was ridiculously crowded and no masks) to Newberry then south on 393 to 2 and back to Ignace. We put the Spyder in the toy hauler and drove to Munising and camped there and ran H58 to Grand then 77 to 28 and back and then ran 94 to autrain forest rd to 28 back through Christmas and into munising. We also ran 28 to 94 south to 2 west to the springs and north on 38 to Marquette back to munising on 28. That was a beautiful ride. We stayed away from 41 and saw no one. That northern road by the spring is all fresh blacktop too. Your in a jeep I don't think it will matter. Take it. Dirt will not hurt that. About 1/2 of H58 is fresh blacktop. Nice ride.

Thanks for the info. I'm interested to see what the Kingston plains looks like without snow lol.

What happens to the plains in the summer... can people ride in them or are wheeled vehicles off limits?

I hate having dreams when I'm sleeping about mid winter warm ups of 70 degrees...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users